Media Sets, Partitions, etc. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Sets, Partitions, etc. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Any tips on the following will be much appreciated. We have an Ultrium Library (Dell PV128T) - 20 slots/2 drives. What I thought would be a good scheme is use 10 slots behind door 1 as on-site media, i.e. it ...

  1. Media Sets, Partitions, etc.

    Any tips on the following will be much appreciated.

    We have an Ultrium Library (Dell PV128T) - 20 slots/2 drives. What I thought
    would be a good scheme is use 10 slots behind door 1 as on-site media, i.e.
    it stays in the library permanently and has an infinite append and no
    overwrite protection. That way all the tapes are used and with the data we
    have it gives us the ability to restore files back about 15-20 days.
    Configured 10 slots as partition, configured media set and job uses both as
    targets - works fine.
    10 slots behind door two used for media taken offsite; 2 slots - offsite
    daily, 2 slots - offsite weekly and 2 slots offsite monthly. Created 3
    partitions and suitable media sets with suitable retention periods for each
    set of media. In testing with no overwrite it worked fine, however the plan
    was to load barcode labelled media into the library and assign them to the
    appropriate media sets so that the job would fail if you mixed a weekly with
    a daily and so on, i.e. you know what tape number is for what type of job.
    Problem is when you do this the tape inherits the retention period of the
    media set and so the job halts asking for overwriteable media. Moving the
    tapes to scratch media allows the job to carry on.

    Can anyone recommend a suitable approach to managing media in order to
    achieve the goals outlined.

    Many thanks

  2. Re: Media Sets, Partitions, etc.

    Hi there

    I've just finished doing a similar setup with my autoloader and barcode reader.
    It wasn't easy. I think the retention period for your media may be too long.
    Are the tapes in the 'device/slot' blue before the backup? You can verify
    the overwrite protection period here... If they are not blue they cannot
    be overwriten and the retention period is too long. It will append and asks
    for another tape. A way around this, which I have just begun doing, is making
    my first job 'Overwrite' to make sure I have enough room on my tape so I
    get my day on one tape and doesn't ask for another. Also did you associate
    the daily /weekly jobs and media sets to the proper partition. This is the
    tricky part to get it to run smoothly because you will have different retention
    periods for each partition.
    Jack

    "Iain" wrote:
    >Any tips on the following will be much appreciated.
    >
    >We have an Ultrium Library (Dell PV128T) - 20 slots/2 drives. What I thought
    >would be a good scheme is use 10 slots behind door 1 as on-site media, i.e.
    >it stays in the library permanently and has an infinite append and no
    >overwrite protection. That way all the tapes are used and with the data

    we
    >have it gives us the ability to restore files back about 15-20 days.
    >Configured 10 slots as partition, configured media set and job uses both

    as
    >targets - works fine.
    >10 slots behind door two used for media taken offsite; 2 slots - offsite
    >daily, 2 slots - offsite weekly and 2 slots offsite monthly. Created 3
    >partitions and suitable media sets with suitable retention periods for each
    >set of media. In testing with no overwrite it worked fine, however the plan
    >was to load barcode labelled media into the library and assign them to the
    >appropriate media sets so that the job would fail if you mixed a weekly

    with
    >a daily and so on, i.e. you know what tape number is for what type of job.
    >Problem is when you do this the tape inherits the retention period of the
    >media set and so the job halts asking for overwriteable media. Moving the
    >tapes to scratch media allows the job to carry on.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a suitable approach to managing media in order to
    >achieve the goals outlined.
    >
    >Many thanks

+ Reply to Thread