Anyone using an Overland Data AIT-1 LoaderXpress unit? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Anyone using an Overland Data AIT-1 LoaderXpress unit? - Veritas Backup Exec ; The Overland Data LoaderXpress AIT-1 unit comes highly recommended by my VAR as cost effective ($3,500) unit for my small company. I am only backing up about 110GB over the weekend when I do a FULL backup -- DIFF backups ...

  1. Anyone using an Overland Data AIT-1 LoaderXpress unit?

    The Overland Data LoaderXpress AIT-1 unit comes highly recommended by my VAR
    as cost effective ($3,500) unit for my small company. I am only backing up
    about 110GB over the weekend when I do a FULL backup -- DIFF backups are
    around 30GB. This system seems to be "over-kill" for my current network (it
    has 19 tape slots), but should be adequate for the next few years to come.

    Just wondering if anyone has had any BAD experiences with Overland
    (personally, I have never heard of Overland -- in the past I have always
    used Exabyte drives, but Exabyte is using a proprietary VXA drive unit in
    their "lower end" tape library -- I hate proprietary stuff!!).

    Thank you in advance,
    TR

  2. Re: Anyone using an Overland Data AIT-1 LoaderXpress unit?

    Hi there
    I'd never heard of them either but one just fell in my lap. I just installed
    a Overland SDLT MinilibraryXpress LXM1S215 with 2 Quantum drives and 15 slots.
    It installed nice on BENT 8.6 but I've had my share of adventures. It is
    super fast (150 GB/Hr). Maybe too fast for my SCSI so I had to slow it to
    5mb/sec. I'm getting a lot of Cyclic redundancy errors (read: Catch all
    for any tape/head/SCSI problem). It could be my server (It's old and running
    Win2k), anyway I'm working on it. I also have a problem with the cleaning
    tape. I make a clean job in BENT 8.6 and the cleaner doesn't unload. It
    stays in the drive and blocks my next backup job. I have to unload it manually.
    PITA (pain in the ass) Otherwise the box seems solid I'd be intersted to
    see how you do with yours.
    Jack

    "Timothy Ross" wrote:
    >The Overland Data LoaderXpress AIT-1 unit comes highly recommended by my

    VAR
    >as cost effective ($3,500) unit for my small company. I am only backing

    up
    >about 110GB over the weekend when I do a FULL backup -- DIFF backups are
    >around 30GB. This system seems to be "over-kill" for my current network

    (it
    >has 19 tape slots), but should be adequate for the next few years to come.
    >
    >Just wondering if anyone has had any BAD experiences with Overland
    >(personally, I have never heard of Overland -- in the past I have always
    >used Exabyte drives, but Exabyte is using a proprietary VXA drive unit in
    >their "lower end" tape library -- I hate proprietary stuff!!).
    >
    >Thank you in advance,
    >TR

  3. Re: Anyone using an Overland Data AIT-1 LoaderXpress unit?

    I just bought the LTO version of the LoaderXpress. I have not put it thru
    real work yet, but just playing around, it looks ok.

    Overland OEMs some big tape libraries for Compaq. I never heard of them
    either but when doing research, I never found anything bad and a few good
    reviews.

    I used HP DAT autoloaders, but HP pissed me off with some coprorate BS when
    we were trying to get one fixed/replaced.
    "Timothy Ross" wrote in message
    > The Overland Data LoaderXpress AIT-1 unit comes highly recommended by my

    VAR
    > as cost effective ($3,500) unit for my small company. I am only backing

    up
    > about 110GB over the weekend when I do a FULL backup -- DIFF backups are
    > around 30GB. This system seems to be "over-kill" for my current network

    (it
    > has 19 tape slots), but should be adequate for the next few years to come.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone has had any BAD experiences with Overland
    > (personally, I have never heard of Overland -- in the past I have always
    > used Exabyte drives, but Exabyte is using a proprietary VXA drive unit in
    > their "lower end" tape library -- I hate proprietary stuff!!).
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > TR

+ Reply to Thread