"The media provided to continue the backup already contains data" but ... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data" but ... - Veritas Backup Exec ; - BENT 8.6 rev 3878 Server Edition on Win2K Server SP2 (no AD repl) (ITA version) - SEAGATE DAT 9SP40-000 SCSI Sequencial Device(4mm 150mt DDS4 20/40GB) Firmware 9030; drive type 4MM 8K (32K,10,7,E) whit HW compression enabled & confermed in ...

  1. "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data" but ...

    - BENT 8.6 rev 3878 Server Edition on Win2K Server SP2 (no AD repl) (ITA
    version)
    - SEAGATE DAT 9SP40-000 SCSI Sequencial Device(4mm 150mt DDS4 20/40GB)
    Firmware 9030; drive
    type 4MM 8K (32K,10,7,E) whit HW compression enabled & confermed in logs.
    - Drivers: I've tried both Veritas driver, than the latest IBM's adviced
    "Seagate Removable Storage Solution, LLC 1.1.0.0" (it's on a Netfinity 3500
    M20)

    *All* my backups fail with this error after random 3.5 GB to 12 GB.
    I've tried with DDS3 tape too: same results and same amount!; tried 7
    different tapes and 3 brands.
    Media OverWrite protection is set to NONE (without prompt). Even if I set
    jobs to begin overwriting media nothing change. Media sets have "None
    append time left".
    Nothing change if I set a normal/copy/differential/incremental backup.
    Have to bckup 25GB but a mean of 7.5GB on a 20/40 tape drive isn't normal

    Tried to
    - add/remove device
    - do not write checksum
    - use SW compression only too
    - no junction points

    .... I hope ...
    Any idea?
    I'm getting crazy and my boss's closer and closer my neck
    Tnx in advance

    PAP

  2. Re: "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data" but ...

    This message means that the tape has filled up, and BackupExec has tried to
    re-load the same tape to continue the job.

    Are these Append or Overwrite jobs?
    If you drag a volume to the scratch set before the job runs, does the same
    thing happen?
    Are you on the latest Firmware for your device and the latest drivers also?

    "Paperino" wrote:

    >- BENT 8.6 rev 3878 Server Edition on Win2K Server SP2 (no AD repl) (ITA
    >version)
    >- SEAGATE DAT 9SP40-000 SCSI Sequencial Device(4mm 150mt DDS4 20/40GB)
    >Firmware 9030; drive
    >type 4MM 8K (32K,10,7,E) whit HW compression enabled & confermed in logs.
    >- Drivers: I've tried both Veritas driver, than the latest IBM's adviced
    >"Seagate Removable Storage Solution, LLC 1.1.0.0" (it's on a Netfinity 3500
    >M20)
    >
    >*All* my backups fail with this error after random 3.5 GB to 12 GB.
    >I've tried with DDS3 tape too: same results and same amount!; tried 7
    >different tapes and 3 brands.
    >Media OverWrite protection is set to NONE (without prompt). Even if I set
    >jobs to begin overwriting media nothing change. Media sets have "None
    >append time left".
    >Nothing change if I set a normal/copy/differential/incremental backup.
    >Have to bckup 25GB but a mean of 7.5GB on a 20/40 tape drive isn't normal
    >
    >Tried to
    >- add/remove device
    >- do not write checksum
    >- use SW compression only too
    >- no junction points
    >
    >.... I hope ...
    >Any idea?
    >I'm getting crazy and my boss's closer and closer my neck
    >Tnx in advance
    >
    >PAP

  3. Re: "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data" but ...

    "Ken Putnam" ha scritto nel messaggio

    > This message means that the tape has filled up,

    5/9 GB on a 20/40GB? Can't believe it! Even if HW or SW compression was not
    set on, I can' believe that no more space is available. I mean, jobs stop
    with that message at a *not standard* amount of GB, but randomly after 4
    **to** 9 GB without changing the file selection. Rather strange, isn't it?

    > and BackupExec has tried to re-load the same tape to continue the job.

    No, it just ejects the tape, waiting for the next one: it's not an
    autoloader drive

    > Are these Append or Overwrite jobs?

    All Overwrite: in the restore tab I only see the files of the last job.

    > If you drag a volume to the scratch set before the job runs, does the

    same
    > thing happen?

    Yes

    > Are you on the latest Firmware for your device and the latest drivers

    also?
    Only found latest drivers. Bios version is 9030, but on seagate website I
    didn't fint nothing else.
    SCSI controller is a 160Ultra with other 3 disks (2+boot) on the same chain
    Does anybody know where to find latest bios version.
    I think that I'll upgrade SCSI controller firmware too ... I really don't
    know where to shock my head against

    Tnx anyway

    Paperino

  4. Re: "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data" but ...

    You are running the tape device off the same SCSI controller as your disk
    drives?

    I'd HIGHLY recommend getting another SCSI controller for the tape drive only.
    Veritas has always recommended this, and it doesn't have to be a high end
    controller either. I ran two daisy-chained DLT7000s off of an Adaptec 2920
    for a while with acceptable througput, and that's about as low end as you
    can get.

    Don't know if it will help with this problem, but you may very well see an
    increase in throughput for all your backup jobs.

    "Paperino" wrote:

    >"Ken Putnam" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>
    >> This message means that the tape has filled up,

    >5/9 GB on a 20/40GB? Can't believe it! Even if HW or SW compression was

    not
    >set on, I can' believe that no more space is available. I mean, jobs stop
    >with that message at a *not standard* amount of GB, but randomly after 4
    >**to** 9 GB without changing the file selection. Rather strange, isn't it?
    >
    >> and BackupExec has tried to re-load the same tape to continue the job.

    >No, it just ejects the tape, waiting for the next one: it's not an
    >autoloader drive
    >
    >> Are these Append or Overwrite jobs?

    >All Overwrite: in the restore tab I only see the files of the last job.
    >
    >> If you drag a volume to the scratch set before the job runs, does the

    >same
    >> thing happen?

    >Yes
    >
    >> Are you on the latest Firmware for your device and the latest drivers

    >also?
    >Only found latest drivers. Bios version is 9030, but on seagate website

    >didn't fint nothing else.
    >SCSI controller is a 160Ultra with other 3 disks (2+boot) on the same chain
    >Does anybody know where to find latest bios version.
    >I think that I'll upgrade SCSI controller firmware too ... I really don't
    >know where to shock my head against
    >
    >Tnx anyway
    >

    >Paperino

+ Reply to Thread