Strange throughput problem - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Strange throughput problem - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running BENT 8.6 build 3878 on a Windows 2000 Server. I was running this program on a Pentium Pro 200 machine with 128MB. I was having problems with failed jobs, so I thought my problem was "lack of ...

  1. Strange throughput problem

    I am running BENT 8.6 build 3878 on a Windows 2000 Server.

    I was running this program on a Pentium Pro 200 machine with 128MB.
    I was having problems with failed jobs, so I thought my problem was "lack of
    horsepower" (even though the Pentium Pro is above the minimal recommened
    system requirements).

    I installed BENT on a Pentium III 600 with 512MB of RAM.
    I installed the same SCSI card and obviously the same tape library (Exabyte
    10e -- uses 8mm tapes).

    I used to backup this WindowsXP machine in less than 10 hours. The average
    throughput on the Pentium Pro server was around 55 MB/min.

    With the new server, throughput averages about 8 MB/min.

    What is strange is that most of my other servers connect anywhere from 40 to
    80MB/min on the new server -- it is just the WinXP and also a Novell 4.20
    server that connects VERY slow.

    Any suggestions on this issue?

    Thank you in advance,
    TR

  2. Re: Strange throughput problem

    verify that Auto-negotiate is NOT enabled on your NICs and switch ports.
    Hard set them all to 100/Full or 100/half or what ever is appropriate for
    your network.

    "Timothy Ross" wrote:
    >I am running BENT 8.6 build 3878 on a Windows 2000 Server.
    >
    >I was running this program on a Pentium Pro 200 machine with 128MB.
    >I was having problems with failed jobs, so I thought my problem was "lack

    of
    >horsepower" (even though the Pentium Pro is above the minimal recommened
    >system requirements).
    >
    >I installed BENT on a Pentium III 600 with 512MB of RAM.
    >I installed the same SCSI card and obviously the same tape library (Exabyte
    >10e -- uses 8mm tapes).
    >
    >I used to backup this WindowsXP machine in less than 10 hours. The average
    >throughput on the Pentium Pro server was around 55 MB/min.
    >
    >With the new server, throughput averages about 8 MB/min.
    >
    >What is strange is that most of my other servers connect anywhere from 40

    >80MB/min on the new server -- it is just the WinXP and also a Novell 4.20
    >server that connects VERY slow.
    >
    >Any suggestions on this issue?
    >
    >Thank you in advance,
    >TR

  3. Thank you Ken!!!

    As soon as I read your post, I remembered that I had to do this to the
    original server. After changing from auto-negotiate to 100 Full Duplex
    (just like the old server) my throughput is around 70MB/min.

    Thanks again Ken

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > verify that Auto-negotiate is NOT enabled on your NICs and switch ports.
    > Hard set them all to 100/Full or 100/half or what ever is appropriate for
    > your network.
    >
    > "Timothy Ross" wrote:
    > >I am running BENT 8.6 build 3878 on a Windows 2000 Server.
    > >
    > >I was running this program on a Pentium Pro 200 machine with 128MB.
    > >I was having problems with failed jobs, so I thought my problem was "lack

    > of
    > >horsepower" (even though the Pentium Pro is above the minimal recommened
    > >system requirements).
    > >
    > >I installed BENT on a Pentium III 600 with 512MB of RAM.
    > >I installed the same SCSI card and obviously the same tape library

    (Exabyte
    > >10e -- uses 8mm tapes).
    > >
    > >I used to backup this WindowsXP machine in less than 10 hours. The

    average
    > >throughput on the Pentium Pro server was around 55 MB/min.
    > >
    > >With the new server, throughput averages about 8 MB/min.
    > >
    > >What is strange is that most of my other servers connect anywhere from 40

    > >80MB/min on the new server -- it is just the WinXP and also a Novell 4.20
    > >server that connects VERY slow.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions on this issue?
    > >
    > >Thank you in advance,
    > >TR