BENT 8.6 and backup to folder - overwritable? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENT 8.6 and backup to folder - overwritable? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi folks, I've got a BENT 8.6 server working right now, backing up our network to tape. We recently installed a win2k server with 240 GB disk space to which we wish to backup to disk. My question is this: ...

  1. BENT 8.6 and backup to folder - overwritable?

    Hi folks,

    I've got a BENT 8.6 server working right now, backing up our network to
    tape.

    We recently installed a win2k server with 240 GB disk space to which we wish
    to backup to disk.

    My question is this: Is there a way to set up the properties on a backup
    folder to allow for overwriting once the media is full?

    In other words, say I have a 40 GB drive partition, with append and
    overwrite set to let it be overwritten after 7 days. In 9 days time, the
    drive reaches 39.9 GB capacity. When my next backup job starts writing to
    that drive, and the 40 GB limit is reached, is there a way to set it to
    overwrite the existing data?

    Thanks,
    Ben

  2. Re: BENT 8.6 and backup to folder - overwritable?

    That should be handled by the media set retention, not via device properties.
    You can create a test media set to play around. Set the retention to eg
    30 minutes. Run a couple of small overwrite jobs pointed at the Backup to
    disk folder on the array. You should get one BKF file for each one. Wait
    until the retention period of the first backup has expired, run another overwrite
    job. Is the first backup job gone, or do you have one more?

    "Benjamin" wrote:
    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I've got a BENT 8.6 server working right now, backing up our network to
    >tape.
    >
    >We recently installed a win2k server with 240 GB disk space to which we

    wish
    >to backup to disk.
    >
    >My question is this: Is there a way to set up the properties on a backup
    >folder to allow for overwriting once the media is full?
    >
    >In other words, say I have a 40 GB drive partition, with append and
    >overwrite set to let it be overwritten after 7 days. In 9 days time, the
    >drive reaches 39.9 GB capacity. When my next backup job starts writing

    >that drive, and the 40 GB limit is reached, is there a way to set it to
    >overwrite the existing data?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ben

  3. Re: BENT 8.6 and backup to folder - overwritable?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > That should be handled by the media set retention, not via device

    properties.
    > You can create a test media set to play around. Set the retention to eg
    > 30 minutes. Run a couple of small overwrite jobs pointed at the Backup to
    > disk folder on the array. You should get one BKF file for each one. Wait
    > until the retention period of the first backup has expired, run another

    overwrite
    > job. Is the first backup job gone, or do you have one more?

    Ken,

    Thanks for the info! I've created several test media sets and backed up to
    disk in various configurations. What I've found is that when the disk
    becomes full, all jobs stop and nothing can write to it, including to
    overwrite a previous job.

    In otherwords, even when I set it to overwrite via the media set, it will
    not overwrite the existing data, it just appends it to the disk until the
    disk is full.

    What am I doing wrong? I've got the overwrite period set to 1 hour and the
    append period set to 1 hour.

    Thanks,
    Ben

  4. Re: BENT 8.6 and backup to folder - overwritable?

    Unless someone else wants to jump in here, you may need to contact Veritas
    directly, either by opening an incident ($) or via E-Mail support (http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on)
    URL may be wrapped

    We've had reports of spotty response to the E-Mail support link here in the
    forum, but it is free.

    "Benjamin" wrote:

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> That should be handled by the media set retention, not via device

    >properties.
    >> You can create a test media set to play around. Set the retention to

    eg
    >> 30 minutes. Run a couple of small overwrite jobs pointed at the Backup

    >> disk folder on the array. You should get one BKF file for each one. Wait
    >> until the retention period of the first backup has expired, run another

    >overwrite
    >> job. Is the first backup job gone, or do you have one more?
    >>

    >Ken,
    >
    >Thanks for the info! I've created several test media sets and backed up

    >disk in various configurations. What I've found is that when the disk
    >becomes full, all jobs stop and nothing can write to it, including to
    >overwrite a previous job.
    >
    >In otherwords, even when I set it to overwrite via the media set, it will
    >not overwrite the existing data, it just appends it to the disk until the
    >disk is full.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong? I've got the overwrite period set to 1 hour and

    the
    >append period set to 1 hour.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ben