SQL Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anybody had this error when backing up sql, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks An error occurred on a query to filegroup CCM0300..PRIMARY. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on ...

  1. SQL Backup

    Has anybody had this error when backing up sql, any help would be greatly
    appreciated, thanks

    An error occurred on a query to filegroup CCM0300..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item CCM0300?PRIMARY - skipped.

    An error occurred on a query to filegroup CDR..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item CDR?PRIMARY - skipped.

  2. Re: SQL Backup

    Unless you have a specific reason to, don't bother with filegroups. Just
    grab the databases. Don't forget to include master model and msdb

    "Edwin Gutierrez" wrote:

    >Has anybody had this error when backing up sql, any help would be greatly
    >appreciated, thanks
    >
    >An error occurred on a query to filegroup CCM0300..PRIMARY.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    >Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >Unable to open the item CCM0300?PRIMARY - skipped.
    >
    >An error occurred on a query to filegroup CDR..PRIMARY.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    >Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >Unable to open the item CDR?PRIMARY - skipped.

  3. Re: SQL Backup

    Thanks for your response, I need to backup the filegroups also, is there a
    fix or a way around this?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Unless you have a specific reason to, don't bother with filegroups. Just
    >grab the databases. Don't forget to include master model and msdb
    >
    >"Edwin Gutierrez" wrote:
    >>
    >>Has anybody had this error when backing up sql, any help would be greatly
    >>appreciated, thanks
    >>
    >>An error occurred on a query to filegroup CCM0300..PRIMARY.
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    >>Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >>
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>Unable to open the item CCM0300?PRIMARY - skipped.
    >>
    >>An error occurred on a query to filegroup CDR..PRIMARY.
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    >>Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >>
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>Unable to open the item CDR?PRIMARY - skipped.

  4. Re: SQL Backup

    This is an MS restriction, not a Veritas one. You either have to stick with
    database backups or turn off Truncate Log on Checkpoint.

    "Edwin Gutierrez" wrote:

    >Thanks for your response, I need to backup the filegroups also, is there

    >fix or a way around this?

  5. Re: SQL Backup

    Truncate Log on Checkpoint is turned off (on SQL server), I rebooted the server
    thinking that it might fix it but it didn't. This is the error I'm still
    getting:
    An error occurred on a query to filegroup CCM0300..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item CCM0300?PRIMARY - skipped.

    An error occurred on a query to filegroup CDR..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item CDR?PRIMARY - skipped.

    In one of your post, you mention to run the database full backup, followed
    by a TranLog/Truncate job. If I run a full database backup wouldnt it be
    too late to run a TranLog/Truncate job after?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >This is an MS restriction, not a Veritas one. You either have to stick

    with
    >database backups or turn off Truncate Log on Checkpoint.
    >
    >"Edwin Gutierrez" wrote:
    >>
    >>Thanks for your response, I need to backup the filegroups also, is there

    >>fix or a way around this?

  6. Re: SQL Backup

    "Edwin Gutierrez" wrote:

    >In one of your post, you mention to run the database full backup, followed
    >by a TranLog/Truncate job. If I run a full database backup wouldnt it be
    >too late to run a TranLog/Truncate job after?

    What you wind up with is a Database + TranLog backup (the FULL) followed
    by a TranLog truncate. (which should have minimal changes unless your SQL
    server gets hammmered during your backup window).

+ Reply to Thread