drive on line without reboot? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on drive on line without reboot? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi out there I have a DLT library and it was scanning it's tapes when I tried to do an inventory. BENT 8.6 put the drive off line. Is there a way to put the drive back on line without ...

  1. drive on line without reboot?

    Hi out there
    I have a DLT library and it was scanning it's tapes when I tried to do an
    inventory. BENT 8.6 put the drive off line. Is there a way to put the drive
    back on line without rebooting the server? I looked for a while but I didn't
    find it. Any hints?

    Thanks

  2. Re: drive on line without reboot?

    Hi Jack,
    I'm no expert but the following is worth a try.
    Go into Control Panel, then admin tools and then services.
    You should see about 6 to 8 Backup Exec services listed.
    For each one, right click and choose stop. Once all of the
    Backup Exec services have been stopped, they then need to be started again.
    As before start with the top most Backup exec service, right
    click on it and choose start this time. Do this for all of the
    Backup Exec services.

    Hopefully the Device will now be online!
    Regards

    Bob.

    "Jack Lauzon" wrote:

    >Hi out there
    >I have a DLT library and it was scanning it's tapes when I tried to do an
    >inventory. BENT 8.6 put the drive off line. Is there a way to put the

    drive
    >back on line without rebooting the server? I looked for a while but I didn't
    >find it. Any hints?
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: drive on line without reboot?

    Is your DLT Library an external SCSI? You may wish to check and see
    if the library can be switched between REMOTE control (via your
    server) or local control on the device itself. Your server may have a
    SCSI lock on the device....
    Also, if your library is an external device, you MAY (important, MAY)
    be able to cycle the power on your tape library only to bring it
    online, but you'll probably need to stop/start the BENT tape device
    service(s) even after doing that.

    Worth a try, anyway.

    On 15 May 2002 10:52:50 -0400, "Jack Lauzon"
    wrote:

    >Hi out there
    >I have a DLT library and it was scanning it's tapes when I tried to do an
    >inventory. BENT 8.6 put the drive off line. Is there a way to put the drive
    >back on line without rebooting the server? I looked for a while but I didn't
    >find it. Any hints?
    >
    >Thanks

+ Reply to Thread