Overwrite protection/append period - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Overwrite protection/append period - Veritas Backup Exec ; My question is, when you set an Overwrite Protection Period for a media set and a tape is used by that media set, does the entire tape inherit the overwrite/append properties or just the backup set? If I set an ...

  1. Overwrite protection/append period

    My question is, when you set an Overwrite Protection Period for a media set
    and a tape is used by that media set, does the entire tape inherit the
    overwrite/append properties or just the backup set? If I set an Overwrite
    Protection Period of 2 weeks and the tape is used every week, will the
    Overwrite Protection always be ON for the entire tape, or will any backup
    sets older than 2 weeks be overwritable?

    I basically have a tape (Monday Differential, for example) that I want to
    be able to just keep storing backup sets until it fills up, then have it
    overwrite the oldest set and so on...

    If I set an Overwrite Protection Period of 13 days (I would like to retain
    at least 2 weeks back) I will eventually get an Operator Error telling me
    to insert overwriteble media. What I believe is happening is, since I use
    the tape weekly, the overwrite state is reset every week (back to 13 days)
    for the entire tape so, in a sense, it always is Overwrite Protected.

    Is there another way I should be doing this?

    Ed

  2. Re: Overwrite protection/append period

    replies in-line

    Edward Ingram wrote:

    > My question is, when you set an Overwrite Protection Period for a media set
    > and a tape is used by that media set, does the entire tape inherit the
    > overwrite/append properties or just the backup set? If I set an Overwrite
    > Protection Period of 2 weeks and the tape is used every week, will the
    > Overwrite Protection always be ON for the entire tape, or will any backup
    > sets older than 2 weeks be overwritable?

    Sounds like you are confusing sequential access (tape) and random access (disk)
    type I/O

    The retention period of a tape volume is determined by the media set it
    contains, and extends for the specified period after the last backup set has
    been added. You can't go back and overwrite part of a tape, only add on the
    the end (append)

    > I basically have a tape (Monday Differential, for example) that I want to
    > be able to just keep storing backup sets until it fills up, then have it
    > overwrite the oldest set and so on...

    see above

    > If I set an Overwrite Protection Period of 13 days (I would like to retain
    > at least 2 weeks back) I will eventually get an Operator Error telling me
    > to insert overwriteble media. What I believe is happening is, since I use
    > the tape weekly, the overwrite state is reset every week (back to 13 days)
    > for the entire tape so, in a sense, it always is Overwrite Protected.

    If you have a different tape for each night, I'd setup at least two sets (or
    three if the budget will stretch that far) , and alternate them. You get your
    two weeks retention (plus) and won't have to worry about the media set
    retention period

+ Reply to Thread