overwritable media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on overwritable media - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am using a Dell DLT1 drive on a Windows 2000 server. I am backing up a 57GB production folder. When the byte count got to 47,521,486,147 I assume it wants a new tape to finish the job, so it ...

  1. overwritable media

    I am using a Dell DLT1 drive on a Windows 2000 server.
    I am backing up a 57GB production folder. When the byte count got
    to 47,521,486,147 I assume it wants a new tape to finish the job, so it says
    "Please remove media" and then "Please insert overwritable media into the
    drive. Overwritable media includes..."

    Under the job (that I am running) properties, I have Media Set 1 for "Destination
    Media set." Under Tools>Options>Media Overwrite, Media overwrite protection
    level is set to 'None.' I also have "when job begins: overwrite media."

    Under the main media tab, under Media Set 1, all tapes have 'none' under
    "Overwrite Protection Time Left."

    I have tried all the tapes, and I still get the "Please insert overwritable
    media" message.

    WHAT CAN I DO?

    Thank you,
    Radu

  2. Re: overwritable media

    I also tried to drag all the media to Scratch, but they still don't work...

    "radu" wrote:

    >I am using a Dell DLT1 drive on a Windows 2000 server.
    >I am backing up a 57GB production folder. When the byte count got
    >to 47,521,486,147 I assume it wants a new tape to finish the job, so it

    says
    >"Please remove media" and then "Please insert overwritable media into the
    >drive. Overwritable media includes..."
    >
    >Under the job (that I am running) properties, I have Media Set 1 for "Destination
    >Media set." Under Tools>Options>Media Overwrite, Media overwrite protection
    >level is set to 'None.' I also have "when job begins: overwrite media."
    >
    >Under the main media tab, under Media Set 1, all tapes have 'none' under
    >"Overwrite Protection Time Left."
    >
    >I have tried all the tapes, and I still get the "Please insert overwritable
    >media" message.
    >
    >WHAT CAN I DO?
    >
    >Thank you,
    >Radu

  3. Re: overwritable media

    Whatn kind of data are you backing up? You are getting about 1.2:1 compression which
    is rather low for most "normal" data types

    radu wrote:

    > I am using a Dell DLT1 drive on a Windows 2000 server.
    > I am backing up a 57GB production folder. When the byte count got
    > to 47,521,486,147 I assume it wants a new tape to finish the job, so it says
    > "Please remove media" and then "Please insert overwritable media into the
    > drive. Overwritable media includes..."
    >
    > Under the job (that I am running) properties, I have Media Set 1 for "Destination
    > Media set." Under Tools>Options>Media Overwrite, Media overwrite protection
    > level is set to 'None.' I also have "when job begins: overwrite media."
    >
    > Under the main media tab, under Media Set 1, all tapes have 'none' under
    > "Overwrite Protection Time Left."
    >
    > I have tried all the tapes, and I still get the "Please insert overwritable
    > media" message.
    >
    > WHAT CAN I DO?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Radu

  4. Re: overwritable media

    Ken,

    It is mainly images: TIFFs, PSDs, EPSs, DCRs. Also QuarkXpress layouts...

    These tapes are 40/80 capacity.

    Thanks,
    Radu

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Whatn kind of data are you backing up? You are getting about 1.2:1 compression

    which
    >is rather low for most "normal" data types
    >
    >radu wrote:
    >
    >> I am using a Dell DLT1 drive on a Windows 2000 server.
    >> I am backing up a 57GB production folder. When the byte count got
    >> to 47,521,486,147 I assume it wants a new tape to finish the job, so it

    says
    >> "Please remove media" and then "Please insert overwritable media into

    the
    >> drive. Overwritable media includes..."
    >>
    >> Under the job (that I am running) properties, I have Media Set 1 for "Destination
    >> Media set." Under Tools>Options>Media Overwrite, Media overwrite protection
    >> level is set to 'None.' I also have "when job begins: overwrite media."
    >>
    >> Under the main media tab, under Media Set 1, all tapes have 'none' under
    >> "Overwrite Protection Time Left."
    >>
    >> I have tried all the tapes, and I still get the "Please insert overwritable
    >> media" message.
    >>
    >> WHAT CAN I DO?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Radu

  5. Re: overwritable media

    That's the problem, then. Graphics files tend to be compressed already, so
    further compression doesn't do much. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

    "radu" wrote:

    >Ken,
    >
    >It is mainly images: TIFFs, PSDs, EPSs, DCRs. Also QuarkXpress layouts...
    >
    >These tapes are 40/80 capacity.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Radu
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>Whatn kind of data are you backing up? You are getting about 1.2:1 compression

    >which
    >>is rather low for most "normal" data types
    >>
    >>radu wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using a Dell DLT1 drive on a Windows 2000 server.
    >>> I am backing up a 57GB production folder. When the byte count got
    >>> to 47,521,486,147 I assume it wants a new tape to finish the job, so

    it
    >says
    >>> "Please remove media" and then "Please insert overwritable media into

    >the
    >>> drive. Overwritable media includes..."
    >>>
    >>> Under the job (that I am running) properties, I have Media Set 1 for

    "Destination
    >>> Media set." Under Tools>Options>Media Overwrite, Media overwrite protection
    >>> level is set to 'None.' I also have "when job begins: overwrite media."
    >>>
    >>> Under the main media tab, under Media Set 1, all tapes have 'none' under
    >>> "Overwrite Protection Time Left."
    >>>
    >>> I have tried all the tapes, and I still get the "Please insert overwritable
    >>> media" message.
    >>>
    >>> WHAT CAN I DO?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Radu

  6. Re: overwritable media

    Ken,

    Can't Backup Exec use a second tape? I thought that's what it was doing...
    Asking for another tape. But none of the tapes were accepted, and the
    "Please insert overwritable media into the drive" alert came up...

    Thank you,
    Radu

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >That's the problem, then. Graphics files tend to be compressed already,

    so
    >further compression doesn't do much. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm
    >
    >"radu" wrote:
    >>
    >>Ken,
    >>
    >>It is mainly images: TIFFs, PSDs, EPSs, DCRs. Also QuarkXpress layouts...
    >>
    >>These tapes are 40/80 capacity.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Radu
    >>
    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>>Whatn kind of data are you backing up? You are getting about 1.2:1 compression

    >>which
    >>>is rather low for most "normal" data types

    >it
    >>says

    >>the

    >"Destination

  7. Re: overwritable media

    Yeah, BackupExec should span to a second volume with no problems. What version/build
    are you running?

    Just for grins, before you start the next job, grab a couple of tapes, and
    verify that both are overwrite-able by running an inventory on each. The
    volume info should appear in blue in the right pane. Then when the alert
    comes up, insert the second tape and reply "OK" and see what happens

    "radu" wrote:

    >Ken,
    >
    >Can't Backup Exec use a second tape? I thought that's what it was doing...
    > Asking for another tape. But none of the tapes were accepted, and the
    >"Please insert overwritable media into the drive" alert came up...
    >
    >Thank you,
    >Radu

+ Reply to Thread