IDR a waste of time - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IDR a waste of time - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have been using BENT software for about five years now and have been extremely happy with the performance and reliability of the software. This is why when IDR came out I thought I'd give it a try. I have ...

  1. IDR a waste of time

    I have been using BENT software for about five years now and have been
    extremely happy with the performance and reliability of the software. This
    is why when IDR came out I thought I'd give it a try.
    I have come to the conclusion that IDR is a waste of time. After a week of
    testing I finally was able to restore my server(in a test environment). I'm
    not confident that this process will work when a real disaster strikes. I
    have found the best way to restore after a disaster is to Ghost the Machine.
    When a disaster strikes restore the ghost image and restore data form full
    backup. I can have a server back up in less than an hour(depending on the
    amount of data). There are some maintenance tasks required such as
    re-ghosting when major software and/or OS changes occur. But overall this
    process I feel works the best.

  2. Re: IDR a waste of time

    Problem with Ghost is where to store the image. Some of our servers have
    almost 100GB of data on them! I have never tried IDR myself but I find this
    procedure works remarkably well:

    1. Clean install of OS with no options.
    2. Install Backup Exec.
    3. Restore.

    I can do 1 & 2 in under an hour. Restoring a huge Ghost image may take
    longer if it is a large image.

    --
    Rod

  3. Re: IDR a waste of time

    I still like the simple elegance of Stac Replica for "bare-metal" disaster
    recovery. Too bad it's no longer produced/supported and didn't make it to
    a Win2000 version. You just pop in your specially configured NT4 boot
    floppies, they loaded your SCSI tape driver, loaded all your volume
    parameters, and restored all your volumes. No fuss, no muss. Insert tape,
    walk away for an hour or two and system restored. It really was about as
    close to "one-button" recovery as you could get.... (and about 1/3 the
    price)

    -- Paul

    "Joboo" wrote in message

    > I have been using BENT software for about five years now and have been
    > extremely happy with the performance and reliability of the software. This
    > is why when IDR came out I thought I'd give it a try.
    > I have come to the conclusion that IDR is a waste of time. After a week

    of
    > testing I finally was able to restore my server(in a test environment).

    I'm
    > not confident that this process will work when a real disaster strikes. I
    > have found the best way to restore after a disaster is to Ghost the

    Machine.
    > When a disaster strikes restore the ghost image and restore data form full
    > backup. I can have a server back up in less than an hour(depending on the
    > amount of data). There are some maintenance tasks required such as
    > re-ghosting when major software and/or OS changes occur. But overall this
    > process I feel works the best.

  4. Re: IDR a waste of time

    On Mon, 13 May 2002 09:48:31 -0400, "Joboo"
    wrote:

    >When a disaster strikes restore the ghost image and restore data form full
    >backup.

    Hi Joboo,

    Well, I have a really hard time to create a Ghost boot disk for RAID
    sets. For example, I have Dell server with 2/Si RAID controller, for
    which Dell (nor Adaptec) offers real mode (MS-DOS) drivers. Also Ghost's
    documentation says it is not supported on RAID sets.

    Have you found a workaround that works?

    Wes
    --
    Computer Networks Consultant
    Santa Clara, California

  5. Re: IDR a waste of time

    > Well, I have a really hard time to create a Ghost boot disk for RAID
    > sets. For example, I have Dell server with 2/Si RAID controller, for

    You should not need a driver. DOS can access RAID containers just fine.

    > which Dell (nor Adaptec) offers real mode (MS-DOS) drivers. Also Ghost's
    > documentation says it is not supported on RAID sets.

    I believe it is talking about software RAID.

    --
    Rod

  6. Re: IDR a waste of time

    No it will not. If you booted to dos via a floopy without a .sys driver in
    config.sys dos will not recognize the RAID Controller(Hardware) and anything
    attached to it. Depending on what COntroller you have MEGASPI.sys or
    ASPI8U2.sys is required.
    "Rod Savard" wrote in message news:3ce3de5a@hronntp01....
    > > Well, I have a really hard time to create a Ghost boot disk for RAID
    > > sets. For example, I have Dell server with 2/Si RAID controller, for

    > You should not need a driver. DOS can access RAID containers just fine.
    >
    > > which Dell (nor Adaptec) offers real mode (MS-DOS) drivers. Also Ghost's
    > > documentation says it is not supported on RAID sets.

    > I believe it is talking about software RAID.
    >
    > --
    > Rod

  7. Re: IDR a waste of time

    > No it will not. If you booted to dos via a floopy without a .sys driver in
    > config.sys dos will not recognize the RAID Controller(Hardware) and

    anything
    > attached to it. Depending on what COntroller you have MEGASPI.sys or
    > ASPI8U2.sys is required.

    Most of the RAID controllers I have worked with allow *disk containers* to
    be visible in plain DOS. It's just like a SCSI hard drive. If you have a
    SCSI controller with a BIOS, it will enable the drive to be accessed from
    DOS using Int13. No drivers needed.

    Now if you want to use other devices such as CD-ROMs, tapes, etc., then you
    will need to load a driver for the controller.

    I can confirm that Adaptec and AMI RAID cards work this way.

    --
    Rod

  8. Re: IDR a waste of time

    On Thu, 16 May 2002 09:40:30 -0700, "Rod Savard"
    wrote:

    >You should not need a driver. DOS can access RAID containers just fine.

    Hi Rod,

    This has not been my experience. I have booted from Ghost Boot Disk on a
    Dell PowerEdge 2400 with PERC2/si controller and RAID5 set. I could not
    see any disks. PERC controllers are Adaptecs made for Dell.

    Wes
    --
    Computer Networks Consultant
    Santa Clara, California
    http://www.NetNut.org/

  9. Re: IDR a waste of time

    On Thu, 16 May 2002 14:23:07 -0400, "Joboo"
    wrote:

    >Depending on what COntroller you have MEGASPI.sys or
    >ASPI8U2.sys is required.

    Hi Joboo,

    This is what I am looking for, I have PERC2/si. Do you have these
    drivers? If you do, could you send them to me? If yes, please send to
    ftp.NetNut.org to "incoming" directory.

    Regards,

    Wes
    --
    Computer Networks Consultant
    Santa Clara, California
    http://www.NetNut.org/

  10. Re: IDR a waste of time

    On Thu, 16 May 2002 13:38:29 -0700, "Rod Savard"
    wrote:

    >It's just like a SCSI hard drive. If you have a
    >SCSI controller with a BIOS, it will enable the drive to be accessed from
    >DOS using Int13. No drivers needed.

    Hi Rod,

    I disagree.

    For example (from my past experience) if you have a single SCSI hard
    disk, connected to Adaptec AHA1542C controller, your bootable disk needs
    in config.sys the following drivers:

    1. aspi4dos.sys to access fixed disks
    2. aspidisk.sys to access removable disks

    Regards,

    Wes
    --
    Computer Networks Consultant
    Santa Clara, California
    http://www.NetNut.org/

  11. Re: IDR a waste of time

    On Thu, 16 May 2002 14:23:07 -0400, "Joboo"
    wrote:

    Never mind Joboo, I have found the driver in

    Regards,

    Wes
    --
    Computer Networks Consultant
    Santa Clara, California
    http://www.NetNut.org/

  12. Re: IDR a waste of time

    wrote:

    >Depending on what COntroller you have MEGASPI.sys or
    >ASPI8U2.sys is required.

    With the right driver (ASPI8U2.sys) I have successfully uploaded Dell
    2400 server image. If anyone needs a copy of the ghost boot disk you can
    get it from my ftp site at ftp.NetNut.org in
    pub/FreeUtilities/GhostBootDiskDell2400.zip.

    Wes
    --
    Computer Networks Consultant
    Santa Clara, California
    http://www.NetNut.org/

  13. Re: IDR a waste of time

    > For example (from my past experience) if you have a single SCSI hard
    > disk, connected to Adaptec AHA1542C controller, your bootable disk needs
    > in config.sys the following drivers:

    Did the AHA1542 have its BIOS enabled? (It does have a BIOS, right?) If it
    doesn't then the hard drive will not be visible until you load drivers. If
    it does have a BIOS then the hard drive will be visible to DOS without
    drivers.

    --
    Rod

  14. Re: IDR a waste of time

    On Tue, 21 May 2002 12:01:19 -0700, "Rod Savard"
    wrote:

    >Did the AHA1542 have its BIOS enabled? (It does have a BIOS, right?) If it
    >doesn't then the hard drive will not be visible until you load drivers. If
    >it does have a BIOS then the hard drive will be visible to DOS without
    >drivers.

    It has been a while but as far as I remember the BIOS has been enabled.

    Wes
    --
    Computer Networks Consultant
    Santa Clara, California
    http://www.NetNut.org/

  15. Re: IDR a waste of time

    I agree totally. I have had much the same experience. Are Veritas withdrawing
    the product and replacing it with the Bare Metal Restore product?

    "Joboo" wrote:

    >I have been using BENT software for about five years now and have been
    >extremely happy with the performance and reliability of the software. This
    >is why when IDR came out I thought I'd give it a try.
    > I have come to the conclusion that IDR is a waste of time. After a week

    of
    >testing I finally was able to restore my server(in a test environment).

    I'm
    >not confident that this process will work when a real disaster strikes.

    >have found the best way to restore after a disaster is to Ghost the Machine.
    >When a disaster strikes restore the ghost image and restore data form full
    >backup. I can have a server back up in less than an hour(depending on the
    >amount of data). There are some maintenance tasks required such as
    >re-ghosting when major software and/or OS changes occur. But overall this
    >process I feel works the best.

  16. Re: IDR a waste of time

    While, not necessary ghost is better
    Ok, imagine, if you have a old server running and one fine day the raid
    card faulty, you replaced it with a new card which is dif from the old one,
    do you think you
    can bring up the system sucessfully after ghost? i don't think so. The
    server will blue screen during bootup
    stage cos it can't find the new card driver.
    With IDR, when during the intial stage of recovery, we can press F6 to
    install raid, scsi driver etc...
    this is something GHOST can't do.

    cheeers
    patrick

    "Tony Pemberton" wrote in message

    > I agree totally. I have had much the same experience. Are Veritas

    withdrawing
    > the product and replacing it with the Bare Metal Restore product?
    >

    > "Joboo" wrote:
    > >

    > >I have been using BENT software for about five years now and have been
    > >extremely happy with the performance and reliability of the software.

    This
    > >is why when IDR came out I thought I'd give it a try.
    > > I have come to the conclusion that IDR is a waste of time. After a week

    > of
    > >testing I finally was able to restore my server(in a test environment).

    > I'm
    > >not confident that this process will work when a real disaster strikes.

    > >have found the best way to restore after a disaster is to Ghost the

    Machine.
    > >When a disaster strikes restore the ghost image and restore data form

    full
    > >backup. I can have a server back up in less than an hour(depending on the
    > >amount of data). There are some maintenance tasks required such as
    > >re-ghosting when major software and/or OS changes occur. But overall this
    > >process I feel works the best.

+ Reply to Thread