Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data... - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have Backup Exec 7.0 running on WINNT 4.0 Server... We use tapes that have a native storage capacity of 2 GB, however for years have been able to get approximately 4 GB of compressed data on them. Recently, for ...

  1. Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data...

    I have Backup Exec 7.0 running on WINNT 4.0 Server... We use tapes that have
    a native storage capacity of 2 GB, however for years have been able to get
    approximately 4 GB of compressed data on them. Recently, for no apparent
    reason the backup began requiring two tapes. This was after doing some work
    on the exchange information store, which should have actually freed up approx.
    1 gb of space. We did confirm that we had freed up quite a bit of space.
    However, the amt. of space required for the backup actually increased, even
    after we did further, extensive, cleanup of the server.

    Backup exec is set to overwrite the tape, and we have not added any files
    or folders to the backup that were not there before. In fact, we did not
    change anything with the backup exec settings.

    It seems to me that all of the sudden we are not getting the compression
    ratio that we had once gotten.

    Does anyone have any solutions, or suggestions, to fix this problem?

    Shawn Dunn
    Computer and Technology Consultant

  2. Re: Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data...

    If you give it a second tape, how much data is written to it?
    Are you using hardware or software compression?
    If software, you can verify the compression in the job logs. If hardware,
    go to the devices tab, right click the device/properties and verify that
    "Enable hardware compression" is still checked.

    "Shawn Dunn" wrote:

    >I have Backup Exec 7.0 running on WINNT 4.0 Server... We use tapes that

    have
    >a native storage capacity of 2 GB, however for years have been able to get
    >approximately 4 GB of compressed data on them. Recently, for no apparent
    >reason the backup began requiring two tapes. This was after doing some

    work
    >on the exchange information store, which should have actually freed up approx.
    >1 gb of space. We did confirm that we had freed up quite a bit of space.
    > However, the amt. of space required for the backup actually increased,

    even
    >after we did further, extensive, cleanup of the server.
    >
    >Backup exec is set to overwrite the tape, and we have not added any files
    >or folders to the backup that were not there before. In fact, we did not
    >change anything with the backup exec settings.
    >
    >It seems to me that all of the sudden we are not getting the compression
    >ratio that we had once gotten.
    >
    >Does anyone have any solutions, or suggestions, to fix this problem?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    >
    >Shawn Dunn
    >Computer and Technology Consultant

  3. Re: Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data...

    Thank you for your prompt response...

    I am using software compression and have checked the job logs, however I
    cannot find any verification of the actual compression ratio. It does say
    that I am indeed using software compression. Is there somewhere in the job
    log that will show me the compression ratio?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >If you give it a second tape, how much data is written to it?
    >Are you using hardware or software compression?
    >If software, you can verify the compression in the job logs. If hardware,
    >go to the devices tab, right click the device/properties and verify that
    >"Enable hardware compression" is still checked.
    >
    >"Shawn Dunn" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have Backup Exec 7.0 running on WINNT 4.0 Server... We use tapes that

    >have
    >>a native storage capacity of 2 GB, however for years have been able to

    get
    >>approximately 4 GB of compressed data on them. Recently, for no apparent
    >>reason the backup began requiring two tapes. This was after doing some

    >work
    >>on the exchange information store, which should have actually freed up

    approx.
    >>1 gb of space. We did confirm that we had freed up quite a bit of space.
    >> However, the amt. of space required for the backup actually increased,

    >even
    >>after we did further, extensive, cleanup of the server.
    >>
    >>Backup exec is set to overwrite the tape, and we have not added any files
    >>or folders to the backup that were not there before. In fact, we did not
    >>change anything with the backup exec settings.
    >>
    >>It seems to me that all of the sudden we are not getting the compression
    >>ratio that we had once gotten.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any solutions, or suggestions, to fix this problem?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    >>
    >>Shawn Dunn
    >>Computer and Technology Consultant

  4. Re: Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data...

    Near the end of the log for each share, you should find total time, total
    bytes and if s/w compression the compression ratio

    "Shawn Dunn" wrote:

    >Thank you for your prompt response...
    >
    >I am using software compression and have checked the job logs, however I
    >cannot find any verification of the actual compression ratio. It does say
    >that I am indeed using software compression. Is there somewhere in the job
    >log that will show me the compression ratio?

  5. Re: Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data...

    I have a WangDat 3400DX which I believe has hardware compression. I have
    selected this option in device settings and setup my backup job to use hardware
    compression (if available), however this did not solve the problem...still
    two tapes.

    The first tape needs to be switched at approx. 3.5 GB, and it says the total
    job is approx. 4.2 GB. This brings up another strange issue... Before we
    were having this problem the total backup was approx. 3.8 GB (and fit on
    one tape), now, after cleaning the server, it is 4.2 GB (and fits on two
    tapes).

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Near the end of the log for each share, you should find total time, total
    >bytes and if s/w compression the compression ratio
    >
    >"Shawn Dunn" wrote:
    >>
    >>Thank you for your prompt response...
    >>
    >>I am using software compression and have checked the job logs, however

    >>cannot find any verification of the actual compression ratio. It does

    say
    >>that I am indeed using software compression. Is there somewhere in the

    job
    >>log that will show me the compression ratio?

  6. Re: Backup Exec 7.0 now requires 2 tapes for less data...

    Are these jobs Overwrite? I had to check, but WangDat 3400 is 4/8 GB right?
    try a run with software compression only and see what kind of compression you get.
    It won't be exactly the same as the H/W but it'll be close.

    Shawn Dunn wrote:

    > I have a WangDat 3400DX which I believe has hardware compression. I have
    > selected this option in device settings and setup my backup job to use hardware
    > compression (if available), however this did not solve the problem...still
    > two tapes.
    >
    > The first tape needs to be switched at approx. 3.5 GB, and it says the total
    > job is approx. 4.2 GB. This brings up another strange issue... Before we
    > were having this problem the total backup was approx. 3.8 GB (and fit on
    > one tape), now, after cleaning the server, it is 4.2 GB (and fits on two
    > tapes).
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >
    > >Near the end of the log for each share, you should find total time, total
    > >bytes and if s/w compression the compression ratio
    > >
    > >"Shawn Dunn" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Thank you for your prompt response...
    > >>
    > >>I am using software compression and have checked the job logs, however

    > >>cannot find any verification of the actual compression ratio. It does

    > say
    > >>that I am indeed using software compression. Is there somewhere in the

    > job
    > >>log that will show me the compression ratio?

+ Reply to Thread