I am running a Compaq DL380. I made this Win2000 server a DC, in a domain
with another server. I have created the 5 boot disks, ran a full backup,
updated the 2 boot disks, done a Compaq system erase and followed the disaster
recovery procedure. When the machine reboots I just get the following error
message.

"Isass.exe system error. Directory services could not start because of the
following error. The system cannot find the file specified……". The message
indicates that the server should be shut down and rebooted into directory
restore mode.

NB the procedure works fine then the server is a member server (rather than
a DC).

I had always assumed that you have to be in Directory Services Restore Mode
to restore the system state on a DC.

Help???