What kind of Tape Do I need for IDR ? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What kind of Tape Do I need for IDR ? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am new with BEXEC 8.6 I have : - W2K server + Hardware Raid 1 and 5 - DLT Drive IBM 40/80 Type IV - BENT 8.6 I wish to use IDR Do I need special tapes to ...

  1. What kind of Tape Do I need for IDR ?

    Hi,
    I am new with BEXEC 8.6

    I have :
    - W2K server + Hardware Raid 1 and 5
    - DLT Drive IBM 40/80 Type IV
    - BENT 8.6

    I wish to use IDR

    Do I need special tapes to create bootable image using BENT ?
    If yes which ones ?
    Thanks

    Hanis

  2. Re: What kind of Tape Do I need for IDR ?

    The best way to use IDR is to create a bootable CD. Bootable tapes are no
    good if you have to do a bare metal restore onto different hardware that
    doesn't support bootable tapes!!!

    CD's are almost always supported.

    OJ
    "Hanis" wrote in message news:3cd79152$1@hronntp01....

    > Hi,
    > I am new with BEXEC 8.6
    >
    > I have :
    > - W2K server + Hardware Raid 1 and 5
    > - DLT Drive IBM 40/80 Type IV
    > - BENT 8.6
    >
    > I wish to use IDR
    >
    > Do I need special tapes to create bootable image using BENT ?
    > If yes which ones ?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hanis

  3. Re: What kind of Tape Do I need for IDR ?

    Thanks - So it will be much easy to use Bootable CD than DLT Tape

    Sorry again,
    If i want to use DLT tape, Can i use the ones that i have
    just ordinary DLT tapes Type IV (40/80 Go)
    The thing is i don't know if i need to use special tapes or normal usage
    tapes.

    Thank you

    Hanis

    "OJ" wrote:
    >The best way to use IDR is to create a bootable CD. Bootable tapes are

    no
    >good if you have to do a bare metal restore onto different hardware that
    >doesn't support bootable tapes!!!
    >
    >CD's are almost always supported.
    >
    >OJ
    >"Hanis" wrote in message news:3cd79152$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> I am new with BEXEC 8.6
    >>
    >> I have :
    >> - W2K server + Hardware Raid 1 and 5
    >> - DLT Drive IBM 40/80 Type IV
    >> - BENT 8.6
    >>
    >> I wish to use IDR
    >>
    >> Do I need special tapes to create bootable image using BENT ?
    >> If yes which ones ?
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Hanis

  4. Re: What kind of Tape Do I need for IDR ?

    Okay here why bootable tape is a bad idea.

    Bootable tape only applies to tape drives that are attached via a floppy
    cable. I'm not aware of many drives that use that type of technology
    anymore. A bootable CD is better because you generally can make more than
    one CD and store it offsite. Making a bootable tape is not the easiest
    thing to do and in addition tapes oxidize over time (simple words, they get
    to a point where they are unreadable). You can use a bootable CD on almost
    ANY CD-ROM or CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RAM drive available. As far as tape
    technology go, esp. in the DLT family the tapes are backward compatible, but
    you can't use a 40/80 GB tape on a 35/70 drive. Considering a tape drive
    can bad more frequently than a CD drive (in addition of the cost of
    replacing them). The bootable tape recovery information is in this PDF.
    According to the PDF, there are only TWO tape drives that are covered. One
    is by Compaq, the other by Hewlett Packard. Hope this helps.

    http://www.smdata.com/Documentos/BEN...%20DS%20r3.pdf

    > >> Hi,
    > >> I am new with BEXEC 8.6
    > >>
    > >> I have :
    > >> - W2K server + Hardware Raid 1 and 5
    > >> - DLT Drive IBM 40/80 Type IV
    > >> - BENT 8.6
    > >>
    > >> I wish to use IDR
    > >>
    > >> Do I need special tapes to create bootable image using BENT ?
    > >> If yes which ones ?
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Hanis

+ Reply to Thread