Trying to prove restore will work. Server now reboots continuously - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Trying to prove restore will work. Server now reboots continuously - Veritas Backup Exec ; Setup new Win2000 server. Installed BE 8.0. Set up schedule for full backups which appear to be completing according to the job monitor. But I want to PROVE I can restore a disaster if it happens so I built another ...

  1. Trying to prove restore will work. Server now reboots continuously

    Setup new Win2000 server. Installed BE 8.0. Set up schedule for full backups
    which appear to be completing according to the job monitor. But I want to
    PROVE I can restore a disaster if it happens so I built another machine,
    installed Win2000 server, Installed BE exec 8.0 and another identical tape
    drive (Seagate IDE 10/20 "Hornet" I think). I took a tape from the first
    machine and tried to restore a full backup on the second machine. I got
    a few messages in the log file about files in use and a message to reboot
    to load restored files. Now the machine reboots continuously. I can stop
    it with F8 but no matter which mode I select, when the boot reaches the end
    of the first progress bar, it reboots!
    No damage done yet, beause this is just a test, but I would be in a hurt
    if the first server went down now. Any suggestions.

    The machine I am trying to test on is an AMD K5 @ 266 MHz. Loads and runs
    Win2000 Server without problems. Even loads and runs BE 8 without problems.

  2. Re: Trying to prove restore will work. Server now reboots continuously

    If the original server is an Intel or even a dual processor system; then you
    are talking BIG trouble. The reason is because of the HAL (Hardware
    Abstraction Layer). The instructions are slightly different for an older
    machine and a different class of processor. The problem is the 2000
    installation because of the processor. If the HAL is different from machine
    to machine, you generally will have a problem because the HAL is different.
    Anything not related to the motherboard/processor can be different, but you
    should use the same processor and motherboard if at all possible.

    "Wayne Berg" wrote in message

    > Setup new Win2000 server. Installed BE 8.0. Set up schedule for full

    backups
    > which appear to be completing according to the job monitor. But I want to
    > PROVE I can restore a disaster if it happens so I built another machine,
    > installed Win2000 server, Installed BE exec 8.0 and another identical tape
    > drive (Seagate IDE 10/20 "Hornet" I think). I took a tape from the first
    > machine and tried to restore a full backup on the second machine. I got
    > a few messages in the log file about files in use and a message to reboot
    > to load restored files. Now the machine reboots continuously. I can stop
    > it with F8 but no matter which mode I select, when the boot reaches the

    end
    > of the first progress bar, it reboots!
    > No damage done yet, beause this is just a test, but I would be in a hurt
    > if the first server went down now. Any suggestions.
    >
    > The machine I am trying to test on is an AMD K5 @ 266 MHz. Loads and runs
    > Win2000 Server without problems. Even loads and runs BE 8 without

    problems.

+ Reply to Thread