LTO vs. DLT - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on LTO vs. DLT - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the LTO Ultrium vs. the SDLT tape format. I anticipate aquiring one of these 100/200 GB formats soon. Hardware and interoperability with BENT v.8.6 advice all would be appreciated....

  1. LTO vs. DLT

    Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the LTO Ultrium vs. the SDLT
    tape format. I anticipate aquiring one of these 100/200 GB formats soon.
    Hardware and interoperability with BENT v.8.6 advice all would be appreciated.

  2. Re: LTO vs. DLT

    "Mike Rigney" wrote in

    > Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the LTO Ultrium vs. the
    > SDLT tape format. I anticipate aquiring one of these 100/200 GB
    > formats soon. Hardware and interoperability with BENT v.8.6 advice all
    > would be appreciated.

    I got both at work recommend the LTO get same performance 15MB/s but the
    tapes are 2/3 the price of SDLT

    we got a compaq SDLT libray and HP Ultrium unit.

    the ultrium backs up the 30 GB exchange server in 35mins

  3. Re: LTO vs. DLT

    I just purchased an Exabyte 110L autoloader in February. I thought it was a
    slick install and so far has proved it's worth. I would recommend it to
    anyone with a small business needing a low admin backup solution. (it also
    has the optical barcode scanner.) All together it was around 12,000 +
    Veritas software. The performance has too many variables to say what an
    exact backup time to data mass. Because of the differences in my servers,
    drive speeds, arrays, network config, etc. I notice different times for the
    same amount of data.

    Good luck.

    "Eric B" wrote in message
    > "Mike Rigney" wrote in
    >

    > > Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the LTO Ultrium vs. the
    > > SDLT tape format. I anticipate aquiring one of these 100/200 GB
    > > formats soon. Hardware and interoperability with BENT v.8.6 advice all
    > > would be appreciated.

    > I got both at work recommend the LTO get same performance 15MB/s but the
    > tapes are 2/3 the price of SDLT
    >
    > we got a compaq SDLT libray and HP Ultrium unit.
    >
    > the ultrium backs up the 30 GB exchange server in 35mins

  4. Re: LTO vs. DLT

    Local backup with large files gets me a 22,5MB/sec !!, IBM LTO Ultrium!

    "cooper" wrote:
    >I just purchased an Exabyte 110L autoloader in February. I thought it was

    >slick install and so far has proved it's worth. I would recommend it to
    >anyone with a small business needing a low admin backup solution. (it also
    >has the optical barcode scanner.) All together it was around 12,000 +
    >Veritas software. The performance has too many variables to say what an
    >exact backup time to data mass. Because of the differences in my servers,
    >drive speeds, arrays, network config, etc. I notice different times for

    the
    >same amount of data.
    >
    >Good luck.
    >
    >"Eric B" wrote in message
    >> "Mike Rigney" wrote in
    >>

    >> > Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the LTO Ultrium vs. the
    >> > SDLT tape format. I anticipate aquiring one of these 100/200 GB
    >> > formats soon. Hardware and interoperability with BENT v.8.6 advice all
    >> > would be appreciated.

    >> I got both at work recommend the LTO get same performance 15MB/s but the
    >> tapes are 2/3 the price of SDLT
    >>
    >> we got a compaq SDLT libray and HP Ultrium unit.
    >>
    >> the ultrium backs up the 30 GB exchange server in 35mins

+ Reply to Thread