Append period on tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Append period on tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I have a problem with appending to a tape. I recently purchased a LTO drive with 100GB native and 200GB compressed. My backup jobs are around 24GB on the daily Mon-Thurs. I would think that the tape should be ...

  1. Append period on tapes

    Hello,
    I have a problem with appending to a tape. I recently purchased a LTO drive
    with 100GB native and 200GB compressed. My backup jobs are around 24GB on
    the daily Mon-Thurs. I would think that the tape should be able to handle
    the entire week if there is any compression going on at all. However afer
    just one job it wants me to put in a new tape. I setup the media expiration
    time as 4 days on Overwrite protection and 6 hours on the Append time. Am
    I not setting this up correctly? What should be setup like if I want it not
    to overwrite the tape for a week and append to the tape during the week.
    By the way I run two jobs each night. An incremental of normal files and
    a full on databases equalling around 24GB.

  2. Re: Append period on tapes

    Do yo have two jobs (Overwrite and Append) or just one job, (Append/Else Overwrite)

    "Jon Maynard" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have a problem with appending to a tape. I recently purchased a LTO drive
    >with 100GB native and 200GB compressed. My backup jobs are around 24GB on
    >the daily Mon-Thurs. I would think that the tape should be able to handle
    >the entire week if there is any compression going on at all. However afer
    >just one job it wants me to put in a new tape. I setup the media expiration
    >time as 4 days on Overwrite protection and 6 hours on the Append time. Am
    >I not setting this up correctly? What should be setup like if I want it

    not
    >to overwrite the tape for a week and append to the tape during the week.
    >By the way I run two jobs each night. An incremental of normal files and
    >a full on databases equalling around 24GB.

  3. Re: Append period on tapes

    I have two jobs that run each night Mon thru Thurs and then a weekly on Sat.
    The first job is called Daily the other Daily Databases. The Daily starts
    around 9:30PM and is a incrementatl job around 500MB. The Daily Databases
    runs at 11:30 and is a full backup around 23.5GB. Both use the same media
    set "Companyname Daily" and have the Overwrite period of 4 days. The Append
    period is set to 6 hours. The weekly has another media set and is totally
    separate.
    Thanks in advance Ken. Sounds like you are answering all the questions on
    this news group.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Do yo have two jobs (Overwrite and Append) or just one job, (Append/Else

    Overwrite)

    >"Jon Maynard" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello,
    >>I have a problem with appending to a tape. I recently purchased a LTO drive
    >>with 100GB native and 200GB compressed. My backup jobs are around 24GB

    on
    >>the daily Mon-Thurs. I would think that the tape should be able to handle
    >>the entire week if there is any compression going on at all. However afer
    >>just one job it wants me to put in a new tape. I setup the media expiration
    >>time as 4 days on Overwrite protection and 6 hours on the Append time.

    Am
    >>I not setting this up correctly? What should be setup like if I want it

    >not
    >>to overwrite the tape for a week and append to the tape during the week.
    >>By the way I run two jobs each night. An incremental of normal files and
    >>a full on databases equalling around 24GB.

  4. Re: Append period on tapes

    What I was talking about is on the Job Description, General Tab.
    Sounds like all you jobs are set to "Overwrite" You need to change the ones
    that do the append to either of the two.

    Sounds like all your jobs are defined as "Overwrite"

    "Jon Maynard" wrote:

    >I have two jobs that run each night Mon thru Thurs and then a weekly on

    Sat.
    >The first job is called Daily the other Daily Databases. The Daily starts
    >around 9:30PM and is a incrementatl job around 500MB. The Daily Databases
    >runs at 11:30 and is a full backup around 23.5GB. Both use the same media
    >set "Companyname Daily" and have the Overwrite period of 4 days. The Append
    >period is set to 6 hours. The weekly has another media set and is totally
    >separate.
    >Thanks in advance Ken. Sounds like you are answering all the questions on
    >this news group.
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Do yo have two jobs (Overwrite and Append) or just one job, (Append/Else

    >Overwrite)
    >>
    >>"Jon Maynard" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>I have a problem with appending to a tape. I recently purchased a LTO

    drive
    >>>with 100GB native and 200GB compressed. My backup jobs are around 24GB

    >on
    >>>the daily Mon-Thurs. I would think that the tape should be able to handle
    >>>the entire week if there is any compression going on at all. However afer
    >>>just one job it wants me to put in a new tape. I setup the media expiration
    >>>time as 4 days on Overwrite protection and 6 hours on the Append time.

    >Am
    >>>I not setting this up correctly? What should be setup like if I want it

    >>not
    >>>to overwrite the tape for a week and append to the tape during the week.
    >>>By the way I run two jobs each night. An incremental of normal files and
    >>>a full on databases equalling around 24GB.

  5. Re: Append period on tapes

    Both jobs are set to Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is
    available.

    Jon
    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >What I was talking about is on the Job Description, General Tab.
    >Sounds like all you jobs are set to "Overwrite" You need to change the

    ones
    >that do the append to either of the two.
    >
    >Sounds like all your jobs are defined as "Overwrite"
    >
    >"Jon Maynard" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have two jobs that run each night Mon thru Thurs and then a weekly on

    >Sat.
    >>The first job is called Daily the other Daily Databases. The Daily starts
    >>around 9:30PM and is a incrementatl job around 500MB. The Daily Databases
    >>runs at 11:30 and is a full backup around 23.5GB. Both use the same media
    >>set "Companyname Daily" and have the Overwrite period of 4 days. The Append
    >>period is set to 6 hours. The weekly has another media set and is totally
    >>separate.
    >>Thanks in advance Ken. Sounds like you are answering all the questions

    on
    >>this news group.
    >>

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Do yo have two jobs (Overwrite and Append) or just one job, (Append/Else

    >>Overwrite)

    >drive

    >>on

    afer

    >>Am

    it
    >>>not

    and

  6. Re: Append period on tapes

    Does the Append job specify the same media set as the first/full job?

    Jon Maynard wrote:

    > Both jobs are set to Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is
    > available.
    >
    > Jon
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >
    > >What I was talking about is on the Job Description, General Tab.
    > >Sounds like all you jobs are set to "Overwrite" You need to change the

    > ones
    > >that do the append to either of the two.
    > >
    > >Sounds like all your jobs are defined as "Overwrite"
    > >
    > >"Jon Maynard" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>I have two jobs that run each night Mon thru Thurs and then a weekly on

    > >Sat.
    > >>The first job is called Daily the other Daily Databases. The Daily starts
    > >>around 9:30PM and is a incrementatl job around 500MB. The Daily Databases
    > >>runs at 11:30 and is a full backup around 23.5GB. Both use the same media
    > >>set "Companyname Daily" and have the Overwrite period of 4 days. The Append
    > >>period is set to 6 hours. The weekly has another media set and is totally
    > >>separate.
    > >>Thanks in advance Ken. Sounds like you are answering all the questions

    > on
    > >>this news group.

    > >>Overwrite)

    > >drive
    > >>on

    > afer
    > >>Am

    > it

    > and

  7. Re: Append period on tapes

    I only have two media sets. A Daily media set and a Weekly media set. The
    two daily jobs have the Daily media set assigned to these jobs.
    Jon

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Does the Append job specify the same media set as the first/full job?
    >
    >Jon Maynard wrote:
    >
    >> Both jobs are set to Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media

    is
    >> available.
    >>
    >> Jon
    >> "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >What I was talking about is on the Job Description, General Tab.
    >> >Sounds like all you jobs are set to "Overwrite" You need to change the

    >> ones
    >> >that do the append to either of the two.
    >> >
    >> >Sounds like all your jobs are defined as "Overwrite"

    on
    >> >Sat.

    media

    Append

    >> on

    LTO
    >> >drive

    24GB

    handle

    >> afer

    >> it

    week.

    >> and

  8. Re: Append period on tapes

    Only thing that I can see is that as far as BENT is concerned, scratch media
    is not appendable, but the selection you have should handle that.

    You may have to break down and open an incident with Veritas. I'm out of
    ideas at this point.

    "Jon Maynard" wrote:

    >I only have two media sets. A Daily media set and a Weekly media set. The
    >two daily jobs have the Daily media set assigned to these jobs.
    >Jon
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>Does the Append job specify the same media set as the first/full job?
    >>
    >>Jon Maynard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Both jobs are set to Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media

    >is
    >>> available.
    >>>
    >>> Jon

    the
    >>> ones

    >on

    starts

    >media

    >Append
    >>> on

    >LTO

    >24GB

    >handle
    >>> afer

    expiration

    time.
    >>> it

    >week.
    >>> and

  9. Re: Append period on tapes

    I finally figured this one out. Thanks for all your help Ken. I'm sure you
    are probably saying "RTFM" to me now. Well I pulled out the manual so I could
    fully understand append periods in the software. On my customized media sets,
    I had the append period set too short. I set it to Infinite - Allow Append
    and Viola' looks like it worked. I believe I am now able to do a weeks worth
    of backups on one LTO 100/200GB tape.

    "Jon Maynard" wrote:

    >I only have two media sets. A Daily media set and a Weekly media set. The
    >two daily jobs have the Daily media set assigned to these jobs.
    >Jon
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>Does the Append job specify the same media set as the first/full job?
    >>
    >>Jon Maynard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Both jobs are set to Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media

    >is
    >>> available.
    >>>
    >>> Jon

    the
    >>> ones

    >on

    starts

    >media

    >Append
    >>> on

    >LTO

    >24GB

    >handle
    >>> afer

    expiration

    time.
    >>> it

    >week.
    >>> and

  10. Re: Append period on tapes

    Always the little things that bite the hardest, aint it?

    "Jon Maynard" wrote:

    >I finally figured this one out. Thanks for all your help Ken. I'm sure you
    >are probably saying "RTFM" to me now. Well I pulled out the manual so I

    could
    >fully understand append periods in the software. On my customized media

    sets,
    >I had the append period set too short. I set it to Infinite - Allow Append
    > and Viola' looks like it worked. I believe I am now able to do a weeks

    worth
    >of backups on one LTO 100/200GB tape.

+ Reply to Thread