Am I totally out to lunch? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Am I totally out to lunch? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have two identical Compaq Proliant ML370's. Server 'A' is a Windows 2000 DC running Exchange 2000. Server 'B' is a standby server that will be kept off site for disaster recovery purposes. Server 'A' is fully backed up... C:, ...

  1. Am I totally out to lunch?

    I have two identical Compaq Proliant ML370's.

    Server 'A' is a Windows 2000 DC running Exchange 2000.
    Server 'B' is a standby server that will be kept off site for disaster
    recovery purposes.

    Server 'A' is fully backed up... C:, D:, System State, Information Store and
    SRS

    I have tried to rebuild this server onto Server 'B' many times without
    success. Below is an outline of my most recent attempts. Is there someone
    out there who can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or if this is even supposed
    to work??)

    Server A is backed up as I mentioned above. There are no errors in the log.

    Server B (Installed on a lab network):
    Clean install of Windows 2000 Server
    Installed as a workgroup server
    Network cards are configured identical to Server 'A'
    Partitions are built identical to Server 'A'
    Windows 2000 SP2 is applied
    Backup Exec is installed and configured

    Server is rebooted into Directory Services Restore Mode and launch Backup
    Exec
    Authoritative Restore System State, C:, D: Excluding MDBDATA and SRSDATA
    folders
    Reboot System into Normal Mode

    **** IP Config is lost and have to re-enter IP Addressing info and reboot
    server ****

    Reboot Server into Normal Mode
    Attempt to restore Information Store and SRS and job fails almost
    immediately with:

    Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation cancelled.

    I've checked the knowledge base and it references the amount of temporary
    space used during the restore. I've tried pointing the temp location to a
    drive that has plenty of space, but the problem continues.

    At no point in the process is the M: drive (Exchange IFS) recreated. I
    suspect this is part of the problem but I don't know where to begin
    resolving this.

    I have been working on this issue for several days and I'm getting nowhere.
    If you have any clues that might help I'd appreciate hearing from you.

    Thanks in advance.
    Ken

  2. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    Have you read throughg the Admin Guide the section of the Admin guide for
    Exchange2000 restore? (Page 633 of the v8.6 guide)

    "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >I have two identical Compaq Proliant ML370's.
    >
    >Server 'A' is a Windows 2000 DC running Exchange 2000.
    >Server 'B' is a standby server that will be kept off site for disaster
    >recovery purposes.
    >
    >Server 'A' is fully backed up... C:, D:, System State, Information Store

    and
    >SRS
    >
    >I have tried to rebuild this server onto Server 'B' many times without
    >success. Below is an outline of my most recent attempts. Is there someone
    >out there who can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or if this is even supposed
    >to work??)
    >
    >Server A is backed up as I mentioned above. There are no errors in the

    log.

    >Server B (Installed on a lab network):
    >Clean install of Windows 2000 Server
    >Installed as a workgroup server
    >Network cards are configured identical to Server 'A'
    >Partitions are built identical to Server 'A'
    >Windows 2000 SP2 is applied
    >Backup Exec is installed and configured
    >
    >Server is rebooted into Directory Services Restore Mode and launch Backup
    >Exec
    >Authoritative Restore System State, C:, D: Excluding MDBDATA and SRSDATA
    >folders
    >Reboot System into Normal Mode
    >
    >**** IP Config is lost and have to re-enter IP Addressing info and reboot
    >server ****
    >
    >Reboot Server into Normal Mode
    >Attempt to restore Information Store and SRS and job fails almost
    >immediately with:
    >
    >Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation cancelled.
    >
    >I've checked the knowledge base and it references the amount of temporary
    >space used during the restore. I've tried pointing the temp location to

    >drive that has plenty of space, but the problem continues.
    >
    >At no point in the process is the M: drive (Exchange IFS) recreated. I
    >suspect this is part of the problem but I don't know where to begin
    >resolving this.
    >
    >I have been working on this issue for several days and I'm getting nowhere.
    >If you have any clues that might help I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >Ken

  3. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >Yes I have, thank you. (Incidently it's pg 585 of the PDF that comes on

    the
    >CD).
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Have you read throughg the Admin Guide the section of the Admin guide

    for
    >> Exchange2000 restore? (Page 633 of the v8.6 guide)
    >>
    >> "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >> >I have two identical Compaq Proliant ML370's.
    >> >
    >> >Server 'A' is a Windows 2000 DC running Exchange 2000.
    >> >Server 'B' is a standby server that will be kept off site for disaster
    >> >recovery purposes.
    >> >
    >> >Server 'A' is fully backed up... C:, D:, System State, Information Store

    >> and
    >> >SRS
    >> >
    >> >I have tried to rebuild this server onto Server 'B' many times without
    >> >success. Below is an outline of my most recent attempts. Is there

    >someone
    >> >out there who can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or if this is even

    >supposed
    >> >to work??)
    >> >
    >> >Server A is backed up as I mentioned above. There are no errors in the

    >> log.
    >> >
    >> >Server B (Installed on a lab network):
    >> >Clean install of Windows 2000 Server
    >> >Installed as a workgroup server
    >> >Network cards are configured identical to Server 'A'
    >> >Partitions are built identical to Server 'A'
    >> >Windows 2000 SP2 is applied
    >> >Backup Exec is installed and configured
    >> >
    >> >Server is rebooted into Directory Services Restore Mode and launch Backup
    >> >Exec
    >> >Authoritative Restore System State, C:, D: Excluding MDBDATA and SRSDATA
    >> >folders
    >> >Reboot System into Normal Mode
    >> >
    >> >**** IP Config is lost and have to re-enter IP Addressing info and reboot
    >> >server ****
    >> >
    >> >Reboot Server into Normal Mode
    >> >Attempt to restore Information Store and SRS and job fails almost
    >> >immediately with:
    >> >
    >> >Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation cancelled.
    >> >
    >> >I've checked the knowledge base and it references the amount of temporary
    >> >space used during the restore. I've tried pointing the temp location

    >> >drive that has plenty of space, but the problem continues.
    >> >
    >> >At no point in the process is the M: drive (Exchange IFS) recreated.

    >> >suspect this is part of the problem but I don't know where to begin
    >> >resolving this.
    >> >
    >> >I have been working on this issue for several days and I'm getting

    >nowhere.
    >> >If you have any clues that might help I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance.
    >> >Ken

  4. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Have you read throughg the Admin Guide the section of the Admin guide for
    > Exchange2000 restore? (Page 633 of the v8.6 guide)
    >
    > "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    > >I have two identical Compaq Proliant ML370's.
    > >
    > >Server 'A' is a Windows 2000 DC running Exchange 2000.
    > >Server 'B' is a standby server that will be kept off site for disaster
    > >recovery purposes.
    > >
    > >Server 'A' is fully backed up... C:, D:, System State, Information Store

    > and
    > >SRS
    > >
    > >I have tried to rebuild this server onto Server 'B' many times without
    > >success. Below is an outline of my most recent attempts. Is there

    someone
    > >out there who can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or if this is even

    supposed
    > >to work??)
    > >
    > >Server A is backed up as I mentioned above. There are no errors in the

    > log.
    > >
    > >Server B (Installed on a lab network):
    > >Clean install of Windows 2000 Server
    > >Installed as a workgroup server
    > >Network cards are configured identical to Server 'A'
    > >Partitions are built identical to Server 'A'
    > >Windows 2000 SP2 is applied
    > >Backup Exec is installed and configured
    > >
    > >Server is rebooted into Directory Services Restore Mode and launch Backup
    > >Exec
    > >Authoritative Restore System State, C:, D: Excluding MDBDATA and SRSDATA
    > >folders
    > >Reboot System into Normal Mode
    > >
    > >**** IP Config is lost and have to re-enter IP Addressing info and reboot
    > >server ****
    > >
    > >Reboot Server into Normal Mode
    > >Attempt to restore Information Store and SRS and job fails almost
    > >immediately with:
    > >
    > >Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation cancelled.
    > >
    > >I've checked the knowledge base and it references the amount of temporary
    > >space used during the restore. I've tried pointing the temp location to

    > >drive that has plenty of space, but the problem continues.
    > >
    > >At no point in the process is the M: drive (Exchange IFS) recreated. I
    > >suspect this is part of the problem but I don't know where to begin
    > >resolving this.
    > >
    > >I have been working on this issue for several days and I'm getting

    nowhere.
    > >If you have any clues that might help I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance.
    > >Ken

  5. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    Hmm
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236030.htm talks about a possible virus
    infection, but I doubt that in your case.
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236424.htm mentions that you must dismount
    the Exchange database before restoring
    may also apply

    "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >Yes I have, thank you. (Incidently it's pg 585 of the PDF that comes on

    the
    >CD).
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Have you read throughg the Admin Guide the section of the Admin guide

    for
    >> Exchange2000 restore? (Page 633 of the v8.6 guide)
    >>
    >> "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >> >I have two identical Compaq Proliant ML370's.
    >> >
    >> >Server 'A' is a Windows 2000 DC running Exchange 2000.
    >> >Server 'B' is a standby server that will be kept off site for disaster
    >> >recovery purposes.
    >> >
    >> >Server 'A' is fully backed up... C:, D:, System State, Information Store

    >> and
    >> >SRS
    >> >
    >> >I have tried to rebuild this server onto Server 'B' many times without
    >> >success. Below is an outline of my most recent attempts. Is there

    >someone
    >> >out there who can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or if this is even

    >supposed
    >> >to work??)
    >> >
    >> >Server A is backed up as I mentioned above. There are no errors in the

    >> log.
    >> >
    >> >Server B (Installed on a lab network):
    >> >Clean install of Windows 2000 Server
    >> >Installed as a workgroup server
    >> >Network cards are configured identical to Server 'A'
    >> >Partitions are built identical to Server 'A'
    >> >Windows 2000 SP2 is applied
    >> >Backup Exec is installed and configured
    >> >
    >> >Server is rebooted into Directory Services Restore Mode and launch Backup
    >> >Exec
    >> >Authoritative Restore System State, C:, D: Excluding MDBDATA and SRSDATA
    >> >folders
    >> >Reboot System into Normal Mode
    >> >
    >> >**** IP Config is lost and have to re-enter IP Addressing info and reboot
    >> >server ****
    >> >
    >> >Reboot Server into Normal Mode
    >> >Attempt to restore Information Store and SRS and job fails almost
    >> >immediately with:
    >> >
    >> >Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation cancelled.
    >> >
    >> >I've checked the knowledge base and it references the amount of temporary
    >> >space used during the restore. I've tried pointing the temp location

    >> >drive that has plenty of space, but the problem continues.
    >> >
    >> >At no point in the process is the M: drive (Exchange IFS) recreated.

    >> >suspect this is part of the problem but I don't know where to begin
    >> >resolving this.
    >> >
    >> >I have been working on this issue for several days and I'm getting

    >nowhere.
    >> >If you have any clues that might help I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance.
    >> >Ken

  6. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    Thanks Ken,

    I've been through all of these, but have not been able to resolve the
    problem. I guess I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

  7. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    As long as the new machine name/site/org will be the same, you could follow
    the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q155216
    It does involve shutting down Exchange on the existing server to do a flat
    backup of all exchange directories, but I don't know what else to suggest
    at this point.

    "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >Thanks Ken,
    >
    >I've been through all of these, but have not been able to resolve the
    >problem. I guess I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

  8. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    I suppose I could, but that makes the assumption that the building will
    still be standing and the server operating in order for me to take Exchange
    down and to a backup. If that's the case, then I don't need to do a restore

    I can't believe that I'm having so much trouble with a concept that seems so
    simple Nearly two weeks on this with no results - what a waste of time!

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > As long as the new machine name/site/org will be the same, you could

    follow
    > the steps in

    > It does involve shutting down Exchange on the existing server to do a flat
    > backup of all exchange directories, but I don't know what else to suggest
    > at this point.
    >
    > "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    > >Thanks Ken,
    > >
    > >I've been through all of these, but have not been able to resolve the
    > >problem. I guess I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

  9. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    It may be time to bite the bullet and pay for a support call to Veritas.
    It's been a while since I had to do it, but at that time (almost two years
    ago), once the call is open, you have more or less unlimited access to a
    support rep until you feel that your problem is solved.

    "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >I suppose I could, but that makes the assumption that the building will
    >still be standing and the server operating in order for me to take Exchange
    >down and to a backup. If that's the case, then I don't need to do a restore
    >

    >I can't believe that I'm having so much trouble with a concept that seems

    so
    >simple Nearly two weeks on this with no results - what a waste of time!
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> As long as the new machine name/site/org will be the same, you could

    >follow
    >> the steps in

    >http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q155216
    >> It does involve shutting down Exchange on the existing server to do a

    flat
    >> backup of all exchange directories, but I don't know what else to suggest
    >> at this point.
    >>
    >> "Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >> >Thanks Ken,
    >> >
    >> >I've been through all of these, but have not been able to resolve the
    >> >problem. I guess I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

  10. Re: Am I totally out to lunch?

    I have this same problem. Did you ever get yours resolved?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >It may be time to bite the bullet and pay for a support call to Veritas.

    >It's been a while since I had to do it, but at that time (almost two years
    >ago), once the call is open, you have more or less unlimited access to a
    >support rep until you feel that your problem is solved.
    >
    >"Ken Richmond" wrote:
    >>I suppose I could, but that makes the assumption that the building will
    >>still be standing and the server operating in order for me to take Exchange
    >>down and to a backup. If that's the case, then I don't need to do a restore
    >>

    >>I can't believe that I'm having so much trouble with a concept that seems

    >so
    >>simple Nearly two weeks on this with no results - what a waste of time!
    >>

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> As long as the new machine name/site/org will be the same, you could

    >>follow
    >>> the steps in

    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q155216
    >>> It does involve shutting down Exchange on the existing server to do a

    >flat
    >>> backup of all exchange directories, but I don't know what else to suggest
    >>> at this point.

+ Reply to Thread