SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, When running a full backup on a Win2K box w/Backup Exec 8.6 and SQL Agent, I have began to get the " is a corrupt file, this file cannot verify" message. Status of the backup is set to failed. ...

  1. SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file

    Hello,
    When running a full backup on a Win2K box w/Backup Exec 8.6 and SQL Agent,
    I have began to get the " is a corrupt file, this file cannot verify"
    message. Status of the backup is set to failed. Does anyone know what triggers
    this message for my SQL database? I have included the "Fail Jobs On Corrupt
    Files" registry entry also, but that seems to be getting ignored here. Any
    help is greatly appreciated...
    I do not see this issue specifically addressed in the knowledge base, has
    anyone had a similar issue? Below is a portion of the log:
    Media Name: "Media created 4/22/2002 04:59:02 PM"
    Backup of "IMGSVR-WANB "
    Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Rotation 0001:Full"
    Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    Backup started on 4/22/2002 at 5:51:48 PM.
    Database BankImages

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Robotic Library Name:
    Drive Name: TAPE_DLT40_1
    Slot: 0
    Media GUID: {6342A802-A7B5-4A7B-83CC-62CFC6AD0A1B}
    Media Label: DLT000010
    Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour
    Append Time Left: Infinite
    Targeted Media Set Name: Rotation - Full
    Backup set #3 on storage media #2
    WARNING: "BankImages" is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 4/23/2002 at 7:16:24 AM.
    Backed up 1 database(s)
    1 corrupt file was backed up
    Processed 31,711,369,916 bytes in 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 58 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 165.3 MB/min

  2. Re: SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file

    When was the last time that you ran a DBCC against that database?

    "Bruce Arnett" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >When running a full backup on a Win2K box w/Backup Exec 8.6 and SQL Agent,
    >I have began to get the " is a corrupt file, this file cannot

    verify"
    >message. Status of the backup is set to failed. Does anyone know what triggers
    >this message for my SQL database? I have included the "Fail Jobs On Corrupt
    >Files" registry entry also, but that seems to be getting ignored here. Any
    >help is greatly appreciated...
    >I do not see this issue specifically addressed in the knowledge base, has
    >anyone had a similar issue? Below is a portion of the log:
    >Media Name: "Media created 4/22/2002 04:59:02 PM"
    >Backup of "IMGSVR-WANB "
    >Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "Rotation 0001:Full"
    >Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    >Backup started on 4/22/2002 at 5:51:48 PM.
    >Database BankImages
    >
    >Drive and media information from media mount:
    >Robotic Library Name:
    >Drive Name: TAPE_DLT40_1
    >Slot: 0
    >Media GUID: {6342A802-A7B5-4A7B-83CC-62CFC6AD0A1B}
    >Media Label: DLT000010
    >Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour
    >Append Time Left: Infinite
    >Targeted Media Set Name: Rotation - Full
    >Backup set #3 on storage media #2
    >WARNING: "BankImages" is a corrupt file.
    >This file cannot verify.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    >Backup completed on 4/23/2002 at 7:16:24 AM.
    >Backed up 1 database(s)
    >1 corrupt file was backed up
    >Processed 31,711,369,916 bytes in 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 58 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 165.3 MB/min

  3. Re: SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file

    I was running consistency checks before the backup, but moved the check to
    after the backup. Also was doing a full check, but now have switched to a
    physical. Would changing these options have anything to do with it? The consistency
    check has always ran without errors on every backup.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >When was the last time that you ran a DBCC against that database?
    >
    >"Bruce Arnett" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello,
    >>When running a full backup on a Win2K box w/Backup Exec 8.6 and SQL Agent,
    >>I have began to get the " is a corrupt file, this file cannot

    >verify"
    >>message. Status of the backup is set to failed. Does anyone know what triggers
    >>this message for my SQL database? I have included the "Fail Jobs On Corrupt
    >>Files" registry entry also, but that seems to be getting ignored here.

    Any
    >>help is greatly appreciated...
    >>I do not see this issue specifically addressed in the knowledge base, has
    >>anyone had a similar issue? Below is a portion of the log:
    >>Media Name: "Media created 4/22/2002 04:59:02 PM"
    >>Backup of "IMGSVR-WANB "
    >>Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    >>Backup set description: "Rotation 0001:Full"
    >>Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    >>Backup started on 4/22/2002 at 5:51:48 PM.
    >>Database BankImages
    >>
    >>Drive and media information from media mount:
    >>Robotic Library Name:
    >>Drive Name: TAPE_DLT40_1
    >>Slot: 0
    >>Media GUID: {6342A802-A7B5-4A7B-83CC-62CFC6AD0A1B}
    >>Media Label: DLT000010
    >>Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour
    >>Append Time Left: Infinite
    >>Targeted Media Set Name: Rotation - Full
    >>Backup set #3 on storage media #2
    >>WARNING: "BankImages" is a corrupt file.
    >>This file cannot verify.
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >>Backup completed on 4/23/2002 at 7:16:24 AM.
    >>Backed up 1 database(s)
    >>1 corrupt file was backed up
    >>Processed 31,711,369,916 bytes in 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 58 seconds.
    >>Throughput rate: 165.3 MB/min

  4. Re: SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file

    I was thinking that, maybe, if you had not been doing regular DBCCs, then
    the database may indeed be corrupt. if you have been doing them and they
    have been clean, then that's probably no the case.

    Can't see how running a DBCC as part of the backup job (ore or post) would
    affect this at all.

    Have you run a DBCC from Enterprise Manager, rather than with the backup
    jobs?

    "Bruce Arnett" wrote:

    >I was running consistency checks before the backup, but moved the check

    >after the backup. Also was doing a full check, but now have switched to

    >physical. Would changing these options have anything to do with it? The

    consistency
    >check has always ran without errors on every backup.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>When was the last time that you ran a DBCC against that database?
    >>
    >>"Bruce Arnett" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>When running a full backup on a Win2K box w/Backup Exec 8.6 and SQL Agent,
    >>>I have began to get the " is a corrupt file, this file cannot

    >>verify"
    >>>message. Status of the backup is set to failed. Does anyone know what

    triggers
    >>>this message for my SQL database? I have included the "Fail Jobs On Corrupt
    >>>Files" registry entry also, but that seems to be getting ignored here.

    >Any
    >>>help is greatly appreciated...
    >>>I do not see this issue specifically addressed in the knowledge base,

    has
    >>>anyone had a similar issue? Below is a portion of the log:
    >>>Media Name: "Media created 4/22/2002 04:59:02 PM"
    >>>Backup of "IMGSVR-WANB "
    >>>Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    >>>Backup set description: "Rotation 0001:Full"
    >>>Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    >>>Backup started on 4/22/2002 at 5:51:48 PM.
    >>>Database BankImages
    >>>
    >>>Drive and media information from media mount:
    >>>Robotic Library Name:
    >>>Drive Name: TAPE_DLT40_1
    >>>Slot: 0
    >>>Media GUID: {6342A802-A7B5-4A7B-83CC-62CFC6AD0A1B}
    >>>Media Label: DLT000010
    >>>Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour
    >>>Append Time Left: Infinite
    >>>Targeted Media Set Name: Rotation - Full
    >>>Backup set #3 on storage media #2
    >>>WARNING: "BankImages" is a corrupt file.
    >>>This file cannot verify.
    >>>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>>
    >>>Backup completed on 4/23/2002 at 7:16:24 AM.
    >>>Backed up 1 database(s)
    >>>1 corrupt file was backed up
    >>>Processed 31,711,369,916 bytes in 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 58 seconds.
    >>>Throughput rate: 165.3 MB/min

  5. Re: SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file

    I have not run a check from Enterprise Mgr, did not think it would be necessary.
    I updated to the latest build for ver 8.6 (3878) today, any thoughts that
    might help? Why a SQL db normally would be viewed as corrupt by backup exec?
    Based on entering the registry entry, shouldn't the backup have succeeded
    even with the corrupt file? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    -Bruce
    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >I was thinking that, maybe, if you had not been doing regular DBCCs, then
    >the database may indeed be corrupt. if you have been doing them and they
    >have been clean, then that's probably no the case.
    >
    >Can't see how running a DBCC as part of the backup job (ore or post) would
    >affect this at all.
    >
    >Have you run a DBCC from Enterprise Manager, rather than with the backup
    >jobs?
    >
    >"Bruce Arnett" wrote:
    >>
    >>I was running consistency checks before the backup, but moved the check

    >>after the backup. Also was doing a full check, but now have switched to

    >>physical. Would changing these options have anything to do with it? The

    >consistency
    >>check has always ran without errors on every backup.
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>When was the last time that you ran a DBCC against that database?

    >>>verify"

    >triggers

    >>Any

    >has

  6. Re: SQL 2000 w/Backup Exec 8.6 Database is a corrupt file

    Bruce,

    I am having a similar problem also. Here is an excerpt from the job log:

    Media Name: "Media created 1/15/2003 03:00:06 AM"
    Backup of "BT-4620\SQL2K "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "SQL2KDev 3"
    Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    Backup started on 1/15/2003 at 3:00:11 AM.
    WARNING: "PSYS" is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    WARNING: "master" is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 1/15/2003 at 3:18:39 AM.
    Backed up 2 database(s)
    2 corrupt files were backed up
    Processed 10,903,789 bytes in 18 minutes and 28 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 0.6 MB/min

    "Bruce Arnett" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >When running a full backup on a Win2K box w/Backup Exec 8.6 and SQL Agent,
    >I have began to get the " is a corrupt file, this file cannot

    verify"
    >message. Status of the backup is set to failed. Does anyone know what triggers
    >this message for my SQL database? I have included the "Fail Jobs On Corrupt
    >Files" registry entry also, but that seems to be getting ignored here. Any
    >help is greatly appreciated...
    >I do not see this issue specifically addressed in the knowledge base, has
    >anyone had a similar issue? Below is a portion of the log:
    >Media Name: "Media created 4/22/2002 04:59:02 PM"
    >Backup of "IMGSVR-WANB "
    >Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "Rotation 0001:Full"
    >Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    >Backup started on 4/22/2002 at 5:51:48 PM.
    >Database BankImages
    >
    >Drive and media information from media mount:
    >Robotic Library Name:
    >Drive Name: TAPE_DLT40_1
    >Slot: 0
    >Media GUID: {6342A802-A7B5-4A7B-83CC-62CFC6AD0A1B}
    >Media Label: DLT000010
    >Overwrite Protection Time Left: < 1 Hour
    >Append Time Left: Infinite
    >Targeted Media Set Name: Rotation - Full
    >Backup set #3 on storage media #2
    >WARNING: "BankImages" is a corrupt file.
    >This file cannot verify.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    >Backup completed on 4/23/2002 at 7:16:24 AM.
    >Backed up 1 database(s)
    >1 corrupt file was backed up
    >Processed 31,711,369,916 bytes in 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 58 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 165.3 MB/min

+ Reply to Thread