Configuring Monthly Backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Configuring Monthly Backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; How do you use Backup Exec's Scheduling tools to configure a month end full backup run correctly? Where I am getting stuck is say is if the month ends (say for April) on Tuesday the 30th, how can I have ...

  1. Configuring Monthly Backups

    How do you use Backup Exec's Scheduling tools to configure a month end full
    backup run correctly? Where I am getting stuck is say is if the month ends
    (say for April) on Tuesday the 30th, how can I have only the month end job
    run and not the daily backup as well.

    Is this possible?

  2. Re: Configuring Monthly Backups

    Schedule your monthly for 5 or 10 minutes before the daily, specifying a different
    media set and the same drive/partition.

    The monthly should grab the mounted tape and prevent the daily from starting.

    You can also apply some of the tweaks in http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm
    to autorespond to "mount tape" alerts to actually cancel the daily.

    "Ash" wrote:
    >How do you use Backup Exec's Scheduling tools to configure a month end full
    >backup run correctly? Where I am getting stuck is say is if the month ends
    >(say for April) on Tuesday the 30th, how can I have only the month end job
    >run and not the daily backup as well.
    >
    >Is this possible?

  3. Re: Configuring Monthly Backups

    Alternatively, you could set your daily backup to run every day except for
    the last business day of the month, and then set your monthly to run on that
    day. You can find this option in the advance scheduling.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Schedule your monthly for 5 or 10 minutes before the daily, specifying a

    different
    >media set and the same drive/partition.
    >
    >The monthly should grab the mounted tape and prevent the daily from starting.
    >
    >You can also apply some of the tweaks in http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm
    >to autorespond to "mount tape" alerts to actually cancel the daily.
    >
    >"Ash" wrote:
    >>How do you use Backup Exec's Scheduling tools to configure a month end

    full
    >>backup run correctly? Where I am getting stuck is say is if the month

    ends
    >>(say for April) on Tuesday the 30th, how can I have only the month end

    job
    >>run and not the daily backup as well.
    >>
    >>Is this possible?

  4. Re: Configuring Monthly Backups

    "David Meldrum" wrote in message

    > Alternatively, you could set your daily backup to run every day except for
    > the last business day of the month, and then set your monthly to run on

    that
    > day. You can find this option in the advance scheduling.

    This would be ideal, but is not possible. You can 'select' the last-day
    option if you want to run jobs on the last day of the month, but you cannot
    create a schedule that runs every day *except* the last day, using this
    option (you'd have to work out the dates and do it manually).

    Ash, can you run the monthly backups on the first day of the month? It's
    much easier to create a schedule that runs every day except the first...

    > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >
    > >Schedule your monthly for 5 or 10 minutes before the daily, specifying a

    > different
    > >media set and the same drive/partition.
    > >
    > >The monthly should grab the mounted tape and prevent the daily from

    starting.

    > >You can also apply some of the tweaks in

    > >to autorespond to "mount tape" alerts to actually cancel the daily.
    > >
    > >"Ash" wrote:
    > >>How do you use Backup Exec's Scheduling tools to configure a month end

    > full
    > >>backup run correctly? Where I am getting stuck is say is if the month

    > ends
    > >>(say for April) on Tuesday the 30th, how can I have only the month end

    > job
    > >>run and not the daily backup as well.
    > >>
    > >>Is this possible?

  5. Re: Configuring Monthly Backups

    Running a job at 12:01 on the first day of the month isn't much different
    than running it at 11:59 on the last day of the month

    "Roger Jardine" wrote in message

    > "David Meldrum" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Alternatively, you could set your daily backup to run every day except

    for
    > > the last business day of the month, and then set your monthly to run on

    > that
    > > day. You can find this option in the advance scheduling.

    > This would be ideal, but is not possible. You can 'select' the last-day
    > option if you want to run jobs on the last day of the month, but you

    cannot
    > create a schedule that runs every day *except* the last day, using this
    > option (you'd have to work out the dates and do it manually).
    >
    > Ash, can you run the monthly backups on the first day of the month? It's
    > much easier to create a schedule that runs every day except the first...
    >
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > > >
    > > >Schedule your monthly for 5 or 10 minutes before the daily, specifying

    > > different
    > > >media set and the same drive/partition.
    > > >
    > > >The monthly should grab the mounted tape and prevent the daily from

    > starting.
    > > >
    > > >You can also apply some of the tweaks in

    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm
    > > >to autorespond to "mount tape" alerts to actually cancel the daily.

    > > full

    > > ends

    > > job

  6. Re: Configuring Monthly Backups

    Depends on what your backup window is. At one point, I had to have my backups
    done by 12:30AM PST because we had customers hitting live data from europe.
    We also had customers in Alaska and Hawaii so I couldn't start untill 20:00
    PST either!!)

    Wound up backing selected dirs and databases daily with fulls on the weekends.
    And manually archiving selected weeklies.

    "Mike Faunce" wrote:
    >Running a job at 12:01 on the first day of the month isn't much different
    >than running it at 11:59 on the last day of the month
    >

    >"Roger Jardine" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Meldrum" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Alternatively, you could set your daily backup to run every day except

    >for
    >> > the last business day of the month, and then set your monthly to run

    on
    >> that
    >> > day. You can find this option in the advance scheduling.

    >> This would be ideal, but is not possible. You can 'select' the last-day
    >> option if you want to run jobs on the last day of the month, but you

    >cannot
    >> create a schedule that runs every day *except* the last day, using this
    >> option (you'd have to work out the dates and do it manually).
    >>
    >> Ash, can you run the monthly backups on the first day of the month? It's
    >> much easier to create a schedule that runs every day except the first...

    >> > different

    >> starting.

    >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm

    end
    >> > full
    >> > ends

    end
    >> > job

  7. Re: Configuring Monthly Backups

    I think the solution is a little bit easy. You can create a media set "Monthly
    Backups" for example and, after the daily backup you can move the tape to
    the new and diferent pool (Monthly).

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Depends on what your backup window is. At one point, I had to have my backups
    >done by 12:30AM PST because we had customers hitting live data from europe.
    > We also had customers in Alaska and Hawaii so I couldn't start untill 20:00
    >PST either!!)
    >
    >Wound up backing selected dirs and databases daily with fulls on the weekends.
    > And manually archiving selected weeklies.
    >

    >"Mike Faunce" wrote:
    >>Running a job at 12:01 on the first day of the month isn't much different
    >>than running it at 11:59 on the last day of the month
    >>

    >>"Roger Jardine" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "David Meldrum" wrote in message

    >>for

    >on
    >>> that
    >>>
    >>> This would be ideal, but is not possible. You can 'select' the last-day
    >>> option if you want to run jobs on the last day of the month, but you

    >>cannot
    >>> create a schedule that runs every day *except* the last day, using this
    >>> option (you'd have to work out the dates and do it manually).
    >>>
    >>> Ash, can you run the monthly backups on the first day of the month?

    It's
    >>> much easier to create a schedule that runs every day except the first...

    >>> starting.

    >>> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm

    >end

    month

    >end

  8. Re: Configuring Monthly Backups

    That's what I mean by "manually" archiving them.

    "Octopus" wrote:

    >I think the solution is a little bit easy. You can create a media set "Monthly
    >Backups" for example and, after the daily backup you can move the tape to
    >the new and diferent pool (Monthly).
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Depends on what your backup window is. At one point, I had to have my

    backups
    >>done by 12:30AM PST because we had customers hitting live data from europe.
    >> We also had customers in Alaska and Hawaii so I couldn't start untill

    20:00
    >>PST either!!)
    >>
    >>Wound up backing selected dirs and databases daily with fulls on the weekends.
    >> And manually archiving selected weeklies.

+ Reply to Thread