Complicated backup....maybe - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Complicated backup....maybe - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a total of six servers that I am attempting to back up on my system. The system holds 6 40 gig tapes. What I am attempting to do is have each server back up to a seperate tape. ...

  1. Complicated backup....maybe

    I have a total of six servers that I am attempting to back up on my system.
    The system holds 6 40 gig tapes. What I am attempting to do is have each
    server back up to a seperate tape. I believe I can get two days worth of
    data on each tape, then I would switch out tapes. The problem is both backups
    that will go on each tape are going to be full backups. I'm a little confused
    on how I should setup this back up....should it be an OVERWRITE....or appendable.....etc.
    Also, right now the robotic library looks like it needs to be partitioned...

  2. Re: Complicated backup....maybe

    If each tape wil indeed hold two days worth of data (don't count on the 2:1
    compression ratio touted by the drive manufacturer, I ususally guestimate
    about 1.4-1.5:1), then looks like you'll need to partition the loader, then
    define two jobs for each, an overwrite and an append, running on alternate
    days. Also be sur to set the retention period on the media sets so that
    when tapes are due to be reused, BackupExec will nolonger protect them.

    "Jeff" wrote:

    >I have a total of six servers that I am attempting to back up on my system.
    >The system holds 6 40 gig tapes. What I am attempting to do is have each
    >server back up to a seperate tape. I believe I can get two days worth of
    >data on each tape, then I would switch out tapes. The problem is both backups
    >that will go on each tape are going to be full backups. I'm a little confused
    >on how I should setup this back up....should it be an OVERWRITE....or appendable.....etc.
    >Also, right now the robotic library looks like it needs to be partitioned...

+ Reply to Thread