Inaccessible boot device after restoring Windows 2000 with IDR - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Inaccessible boot device after restoring Windows 2000 with IDR - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are desperately trying to restore a Windows 2000 Server system using Intelligent Disaster Recovery. After installing the basic IDR W2k-environment (with several reboots) you are finally able to restore the partitions of the harddisk + system state. Everything looks ...

  1. Inaccessible boot device after restoring Windows 2000 with IDR

    We are desperately trying to restore a Windows 2000 Server system using Intelligent
    Disaster Recovery.
    After installing the basic IDR W2k-environment (with several reboots) you
    are finally able to restore the partitions of the harddisk + system state.
    Everything looks fine, the system reboots and eventually runs into a blue
    screen:

    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF201B848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

    We are using the following:

    - single (non RAID) SCSI harddisk
    - 3 partitions (2 GB, 7 GB, 25 GB), the system boots from the first partition,
    Windows is located on the second partition
    - HP DLT 80 tape device
    - Windows 2000 Server (SP 2)
    - Veritas Backup Excec for NT/Win2000 8.6 (Build 3878)

    Please advice.

  2. Inaccessible boot device after restoring Windows 2000 with IDR

    We are desperately trying to restore a Windows 2000 Server system using Intelligent
    Disaster Recovery.
    After installing the basic IDR W2k-environment (with several reboots) you
    are finally able to restore the partitions of the harddisk + system state.
    Everything looks fine, the system reboots and eventually runs into a blue
    screen:

    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF201B848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

    We are using the following:

    - single (non RAID) SCSI harddisk
    - 3 partitions (2 GB, 7 GB, 25 GB), the system boots from the first partition,
    Windows is located on the second partition
    - HP DLT 80 tape device
    - Windows 2000 Server (SP 2)
    - Veritas Backup Excec for NT/Win2000 8.6 (Build 3878)

    Please advice.

  3. Re: Inaccessible boot device after restoring Windows 2000 with IDR

    Hello Ralf,

    First of we need to establish what kind of hardware you have got. This is
    very important because, if you have a Compaq box, for instance, you have to
    update the System Partition by booting up with your SMARTSTART CD after the
    restore process has prompted you to reboot. If you don't... well, guess
    what? "Inaccessible_boot_device"

    Also, you could see that happen if your pre-disaster server had dynamic disk
    and you have you have performed the restore without first upgrading your
    disks to dynamic. This documented here

    This could also occur if you have the restore boot.ini is out of alignment
    with the current configuration. You could try loading the Recovery Console
    and retrieving the boot.ini. See whether it is in good order! It is usually
    that ARC name that goes amiss.

    Well I hope this helps a little

    Real Dude

    "Ralf Conrad" wrote in message

    > We are desperately trying to restore a Windows 2000 Server system using

    Intelligent
    > Disaster Recovery.
    > After installing the basic IDR W2k-environment (with several reboots) you
    > are finally able to restore the partitions of the harddisk + system state.
    > Everything looks fine, the system reboots and eventually runs into a blue
    > screen:
    >
    > *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF201B848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    > INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    > ..
    >

    > We are using the following:
    >
    > - single (non RAID) SCSI harddisk
    > - 3 partitions (2 GB, 7 GB, 25 GB), the system boots from the first

    partition,
    > Windows is located on the second partition
    > - HP DLT 80 tape device
    > - Windows 2000 Server (SP 2)
    > - Veritas Backup Excec for NT/Win2000 8.6 (Build 3878)
    >
    > Please advice.

+ Reply to Thread