Weird Hardware Failure error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Weird Hardware Failure error - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have had a problem start out of the blue last week, where the backup fails shortly after starting, apparently due to a hardware failure. To give you more info Hardware is - Compaq ML370 server with hardware RAID ...

  1. Weird Hardware Failure error

    Hi,
    I have had a problem start out of the blue last week, where the backup
    fails shortly after starting, apparently due to a hardware failure.

    To give you more info
    Hardware is - Compaq ML370 server with hardware RAID and a 20/40 Gig DAT
    tape drive, Running SBS2000, and Veritas drivers on the tape drive.

    Software - SBS 2000, using Exchange 2000, and Backup Exec 8.6 for SBS Rev.
    3808

    The job log finishes up looking like this:
    Job server: SERVER
    Job name: Daily
    Job started: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:15:07 AM
    Job type: Backup
    Job Log: BEX01.txt

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Robotic Library Name:
    Drive Name: COMPAQ 1
    Slot: 0
    Media GUID: {8A8823F4-D150-11D4-9BF4-00508BF3AC63}
    Media Label: 4M000005
    Overwrite Protection Time Left: None
    Append Time Left: Infinite
    Targeted Media Set Name: Daily Set

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - overwrite.
    Hardware compression enabled.

    Media Name: "Daily"
    Backup of "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Daily"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 10/04/2002 at 1:15:23 AM.
    The media operation was terminated by the user.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 10/04/2002 at 1:21:54 AM.
    Backed up 10343 mail message(s) in 151 folder(s) in 6 mailbox(es)
    Processed 548,333,414 bytes in 6 minutes and 31 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 80.2 MB/min

    Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort

    and in the alerts I get a message that
    The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    and to check power and cables.

    I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as Larry
    ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before it
    fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no luck, and
    I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device to try
    and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

    Anyone got any tips or suggestions
    They would be much appreciated
    Thanks in advance

    Scott Palmer
    Calibre Computing

  2. Re: Weird Hardware Failure error

    NB: Did a restart of the server as mentioned in a couple of other posts, and
    so far the problem seems to be 'solved'

    "Scott" wrote in message
> [...]
    > Throughput rate: 80.2 MB/min
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    > Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort
    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > and in the alerts I get a message that
    > The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    > and to check power and cables.
    >
    > I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as

    Larry
    > ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before it
    > fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no luck,

    and
    > I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device to

    try
    > and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

  3. Re: Weird Hardware Failure error

    Has anyone found a fix for this yet??? I'm having the same problems.

    Thanks!

    "Scott" wrote:
> [...]

    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    >> Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >>
    >> and in the alerts I get a message that
    >> The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    >> and to check power and cables.
    >>
    >> I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as

    >Larry
    >> ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before

    it
    >> fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no luck,

    >and
    >> I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device

    >try
    >> and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

  4. Re: Weird Hardware Failure error

    Hi!

    I get this to on serveral servers running Exchange 2000 and Backup Exec
    8.6. I got serveral different soloutions from Veritas support on how to fix
    this. Veritas suggested that this was a hardware error and asked me to change
    SCSI IDs and so on. So I did a little test and added a job that backs data
    to the harddrive instead. The job runs just before the regular backup, and
    guess what, that failes to with the error "Drive hardware is offline" to.
    This is proof enough for me that this is a software error and that Veritas
    doesn't have a clue where it comes from. I don't think Veritas will discuss
    this at all until they have found the problem and released a patch.

    Until then I recommend that you split your backups into as amny jobs as
    possible so even if one job failes the rest of your data is still backed
    up.

    Shouldn't be this way, but what can you do?

    Good luck!

    /Henrik Månsson
    Lindahl & Rothoff

    "Scott" wrote:
> [...]
    >Throughput rate: 80.2 MB/min
    >
    >================================================== ====================
    >Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    >Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort
    >================================================== ====================
    >
    >and in the alerts I get a message that
    >The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    >and to check power and cables.
    >
    >I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as Larry
    >ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before it
    >fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no luck,

    and
    >I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device to

    try
    >and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

  5. Re: Weird Hardware Failure error

    As I wrote earlier, I am having the same problem. The backup ran just fine
    for a few weeks then out of the blue it started failing
    with the message that the tape drive was offline and the job was
    cancelled by user SessionAbort. I have been sifting through countless postings
    from people having the same problem. Last night I was running an upgrade
    to my server and had to reboot - guess what - the backup ran last night with
    no errors. I will monitor to see how long this lasts.

    In the meantime, I checked Veritas patches and found nothing to fix this
    problem. Does anyone have the fix. I cannot believe that Veritas has not
    addressed this issue on the News Board!
    Have I missed something?!?!?!

    "Henrik Månsson" wrote:

> [...]

    >>Throughput rate: 80.2 MB/min
    >>
    >>================================================== ====================
    >>Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    >>Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort
    >>================================================== ====================
    >>
    >>and in the alerts I get a message that
    >>The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    >>and to check power and cables.
    >>
    >>I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as Larry
    >>ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before it
    >>fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no luck,

    >and
    >>I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device to

    >try
    >>and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

  6. Re: Weird Hardware Failure error

    I'm having the exact same problem!

    "Scott" wrote:
> [...]
    >Throughput rate: 80.2 MB/min
    >
    >================================================== ====================
    >Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    >Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort
    >================================================== ====================
    >
    >and in the alerts I get a message that
    >The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    >and to check power and cables.
    >
    >I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as Larry
    >ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before it
    >fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no luck,

    and
    >I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device to

    try
    >and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

  7. Re: Weird Hardware Failure error

    Hi,

    I have followed this thread, and several of the other related threads, and
    it does not sound like there is a solution for this problem. Does anyone
    know if there has been a patch released that solves this?

    We have the same software configuration (Win 2K, SBS2000, BE 8.6, Exchange
    2000, etc.) but we experience the canceled by sessionabort problem approximately
    once per week. The server has been up for over 30 days, and the problem
    has occured 4 times. Even so, this is a big concern, and I would love to
    hear if anyone has heard about a solution.

    Many Thanks,

    Peter

    "Scott" wrote:
> [...]

    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    >> Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >>
    >> and in the alerts I get a message that
    >> The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    >> and to check power and cables.
    >>
    >> I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as

    >Larry
    >> ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before

    it
    >> fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no luck,

    >and
    >> I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device

    >try
    >> and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

  8. Re: Weird Hardware Failure error

    We have the same problem, rebooted the server and it works for a couple days
    then happens again. The problem happens on three different servers on
    random days throughout the week. I sent a support request to Veritas, I'll
    post the response (if i get one...).

    "Eric Stephens" wrote in message

> [...]

    > >> Job ended: Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 1:22:15 AM
    > >> Job completion status: Canceled by SERVER\SessionAbort
    > >> ================================================== ====================
    > >>
    > >> and in the alerts I get a message that
    > >> The Drive Hardware is Offline!
    > >> and to check power and cables.
    > >>
    > >> I check the device each day, and the device is sitting there happy as

    > >Larry
    > >> ready to do its half Gig of Backups in the first seven minutes before

    > it
    > >> fails again. I have searched the Knowledge base at Veritas with no

    luck,
    > >and
    > >> I have changed the start time, and disabled and re-enabled the Device

    > >try
    > >> and refresh that setting aswell - all of which have had no effect.

+ Reply to Thread