BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not - Veritas Backup Exec ; System: BENT 8.6 NT 4.0 Server SP6a Dell PowerEdge 1400SC PowerVault 110T 40/80GB DLT tape drive Occasionally, after the weekly full backup, the log will show that the backup failed. Looking at the job log, the file copy completes successfully, ...

  1. BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not

    System:
    BENT 8.6
    NT 4.0 Server SP6a
    Dell PowerEdge 1400SC
    PowerVault 110T 40/80GB DLT tape drive

    Occasionally, after the weekly full backup, the log will show that the
    backup failed. Looking at the job log, the file copy completes
    successfully, and so does the verify. The total size of the files (approx.
    33GB) backed up is consistent with all 'successful' full backups, so other
    than the big red entry in the Activity Log, it appears to complete ok. Does
    anyone have any idea why it would say that it failed, or why it only does
    this occasionally?

    Thanks,
    Jeremy Cook

  2. Re: BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not

    Any ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ characters? Any error in NT events?

    "Jeremy Cook" wrote in message news:3ca391ef@hronntp01....
    > System:
    > BENT 8.6
    > NT 4.0 Server SP6a
    > Dell PowerEdge 1400SC
    > PowerVault 110T 40/80GB DLT tape drive
    >
    > Occasionally, after the weekly full backup, the log will show that the
    > backup failed. Looking at the job log, the file copy completes
    > successfully, and so does the verify. The total size of the files

    (approx.
    > 33GB) backed up is consistent with all 'successful' full backups, so other
    > than the big red entry in the Activity Log, it appears to complete ok.

    Does
    > anyone have any idea why it would say that it failed, or why it only does
    > this occasionally?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeremy Cook

  3. Re: BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not

    NT events was clean. I did however find a couple of ^^^^^ events in the job
    log. Apparently there were two files that were 'corrupt' and could not be
    verified. It's always the same two files. Sometimes they show up corrupt
    in the job log, and sometimes BENT doesn't have any problem with them.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Jeremy

    > > System:
    > > BENT 8.6
    > > NT 4.0 Server SP6a
    > > Dell PowerEdge 1400SC
    > > PowerVault 110T 40/80GB DLT tape drive
    > >
    > > Occasionally, after the weekly full backup, the log will show that the
    > > backup failed. Looking at the job log, the file copy completes
    > > successfully, and so does the verify. The total size of the files

    > (approx.
    > > 33GB) backed up is consistent with all 'successful' full backups, so

    other
    > > than the big red entry in the Activity Log, it appears to complete ok.

    > Does
    > > anyone have any idea why it would say that it failed, or why it only

    does
    > > this occasionally?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jeremy Cook

  4. Re: BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not

    I'm not sure what's wrong with those 2 files. If you know the files are
    good, you can configure BENT not to report failure when corrupt files are
    encountered. Take a look at this:

    > > Any ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ characters? Any error in NT events?
    > >
    > > "Jeremy Cook" wrote in message

    > > > System:
    > > > BENT 8.6
    > > > NT 4.0 Server SP6a
    > > > Dell PowerEdge 1400SC
    > > > PowerVault 110T 40/80GB DLT tape drive
    > > >
    > > > Occasionally, after the weekly full backup, the log will show that the
    > > > backup failed. Looking at the job log, the file copy completes
    > > > successfully, and so does the verify. The total size of the files

    > > (approx.
    > > > 33GB) backed up is consistent with all 'successful' full backups, so

    > other
    > > > than the big red entry in the Activity Log, it appears to complete ok.

    > > Does
    > > > anyone have any idea why it would say that it failed, or why it only

    > does
    > > > this occasionally?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Jeremy Cook

  5. Re: BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not

    I talked to the techs from the company who's software (ProSystemFX) creates
    and uses the two 'corrupt' files. They told me it wasn't necessary to back
    them up, so I just exempted them from the backup jobs. Problem solved.
    They weren't sure why BENT would consider them corrupt, since I was having
    no trouble with Pro-FX, but since they weren't critical files, it didn't
    really matter.

    Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I always appreciate anyone who takes the
    time to help out.

    Jeremy

    "Ron" wrote in message
    > I'm not sure what's wrong with those 2 files. If you know the files are
    > good, you can configure BENT not to report failure when corrupt files are
    > encountered. Take a look at this:
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/193940.htm
    >
    > "Jeremy Cook" wrote in message
    > > NT events was clean. I did however find a couple of ^^^^^ events in the

    > job
    > > log. Apparently there were two files that were 'corrupt' and could not

    be
    > > verified. It's always the same two files. Sometimes they show up

    corrupt
    > > in the job log, and sometimes BENT doesn't have any problem with them.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Jeremy
    > >
    > > "Ron" wrote in message

    > > > Any ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ characters? Any error in NT events?
    > > >
    > > > "Jeremy Cook" wrote in message

    the
    > > > (approx.

    > > other

    ok.
    > > > Does

    > > does

  6. Re: BENT 8.6 Full backup is failing, but it's not

    Not a problem. I wasn't really helping out. I just happen to like comparing
    notes on the newsgroups :-) (only when I have time) Thanks for sharing your
    info with us.

    Ron

    > I talked to the techs from the company who's software (ProSystemFX)

    creates
    > and uses the two 'corrupt' files. They told me it wasn't necessary to

    back
    > them up, so I just exempted them from the backup jobs. Problem solved.
    > They weren't sure why BENT would consider them corrupt, since I was having
    > no trouble with Pro-FX, but since they weren't critical files, it didn't
    > really matter.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I always appreciate anyone who takes the
    > time to help out.
    >
    > Jeremy
    >

    > "Ron" wrote in message
    > > I'm not sure what's wrong with those 2 files. If you know the files are
    > > good, you can configure BENT not to report failure when corrupt files

    are
    > > encountered. Take a look at this:
    > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/193940.htm
    > >
    > > "Jeremy Cook" wrote in message
    > > > NT events was clean. I did however find a couple of ^^^^^ events in

    the
    > > job
    > > > log. Apparently there were two files that were 'corrupt' and could

    not
    > be
    > > > verified. It's always the same two files. Sometimes they show up

    > corrupt
    > > > in the job log, and sometimes BENT doesn't have any problem with them.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > >
    > > > Jeremy
    > > >
    > > > "Ron" wrote in message

    > the