Licensing Dell Powervault 715N with Veritas software - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Licensing Dell Powervault 715N with Veritas software - Veritas Backup Exec ; After having purchased 3 copies of backup exec 8.6 server edition competive upgrade, 3 copies of the Exchange Agent, and a 3 pack of the Remote Agent, I am very frustrated to find out that my 3 Dell Powervault 715N ...

  1. Licensing Dell Powervault 715N with Veritas software

    After having purchased 3 copies of backup exec 8.6 server edition competive
    upgrade, 3 copies of the Exchange Agent, and a 3 pack of the Remote Agent, I
    am very frustrated to find out that my 3 Dell Powervault 715N network
    attached storage devices are not covered under the remote agent license. The
    Dell Powervault 715N NAS devices cost under $2000 and should not be
    classified as running MS Windows 2000 Advanced Server. They use MS Windows
    2000 server appliance kit, which is less expensive than Windows 2000 Server
    and doesn't even come close to the cost of Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

    As you will see from the following website, there is no mention that it is
    based on Windows 2000 Advanced Server, it only says based on Windows 2000
    Server.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/emb...ak/default.asp

    I can perhaps understand why the $10,000 Dell Powervault 755N is classified
    as running Windows 2000 Advanced Server as outline in the following article
    in this veritas support article, but the $2000 Dell Powervault 715N is a
    low-cost server appliance that needs low cost backup software.

    Please help.

    Trent Mitchell

  2. Re: Licensing Dell Powervault 715N with Veritas software

    Remote Agents will work fine with the 715. The Remote Agents are not specific
    to the version of Windows. You can install and use them on anything from
    NT4 workstation to w2k datacenter. Its all the same agent.

    Only BE core product comes in Server or Adv. Server.

    "Trent Mitchell" wrote:
    >After having purchased 3 copies of backup exec 8.6 server edition competive
    >upgrade, 3 copies of the Exchange Agent, and a 3 pack of the Remote Agent,

    >am very frustrated to find out that my 3 Dell Powervault 715N network
    >attached storage devices are not covered under the remote agent license.

    The
    >Dell Powervault 715N NAS devices cost under $2000 and should not be
    >classified as running MS Windows 2000 Advanced Server. They use MS Windows
    >2000 server appliance kit, which is less expensive than Windows 2000 Server
    >and doesn't even come close to the cost of Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
    >
    >As you will see from the following website, there is no mention that it

    is
    >based on Windows 2000 Advanced Server, it only says based on Windows 2000
    >Server.
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/emb...ak/default.asp
    >

    >I can perhaps understand why the $10,000 Dell Powervault 755N is classified
    >as running Windows 2000 Advanced Server as outline in the following article
    >in this veritas support article, but the $2000 Dell Powervault 715N is a
    >low-cost server appliance that needs low cost backup software.
    >
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239758.htm
    >
    >Please help.
    >
    >Trent Mitchell

  3. Re: Licensing Dell Powervault 715N with Veritas software

    Per Dells web site. on the specs for the 715