"not enough system resources to complete the task" when using backup-to-disk - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on "not enough system resources to complete the task" when using backup-to-disk - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am running BE 8,6 build 3808, and using backup-to-disk to back up the files on the server to a separate HD called H: wich is 60 GB in size. The server is a Pentium 4 1,8 GHz with ...

  1. "not enough system resources to complete the task" when using backup-to-disk

    Hi,

    I am running BE 8,6 build 3808, and using backup-to-disk to back up the
    files on the server to a separate HD called H: wich is 60 GB in size. The
    server is a Pentium 4 1,8 GHz with 512 MB RAM, and 1048 MB pagefile
    (swapfile?). The backup is supposed to take a backup of C: with 2,74 GB in
    7562 files and 514 folders, E: with 15,2 GB in 37378 files and 2413 folders.

    If I run a backup on C: alone it goes just fine, but a backup with both C:
    and E:, I get the following error when the backup get to between 12-15 GB of
    backed up data:

    Storage device "Full:1" reported an error on a request to write data to
    media.

    Error reported:
    Otillräckliga systemresurser för att kunna avsluta den begärda servicen.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    The error message is in swedish, and means something like "not enough system
    resources to complete the task".

    I have read about "OFO", but I don't think we are using that since I read
    that it is sold separetely, and we didn't buy it.

    I have checked the taskmanager and the server never uses more then about 150
    MB of RAM. But, during backup the "free fysical memory" goes down to about 5
    MB when it usually is above 400 MB. To me it look like something is using
    more and more RAM but never uses the swapfile?

    Any ideas?

    Please reply in news and by mail if you can!

    // Fred
    fredrik@lalmek.se

  2. Re: "not enough system resources to complete the task" when using backup-to-disk

    "Fredrik" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am running BE 8,6 build 3808, and using backup-to-disk to back up the
    >files on the server to a separate HD called H: wich is 60 GB in size. The
    >server is a Pentium 4 1,8 GHz with 512 MB RAM, and 1048 MB pagefile
    >(swapfile?). The backup is supposed to take a backup of C: with 2,74 GB

    in
    >7562 files and 514 folders, E: with 15,2 GB in 37378 files and 2413 folders.
    >
    >If I run a backup on C: alone it goes just fine, but a backup with both

    C:
    >and E:, I get the following error when the backup get to between 12-15 GB

    of
    >backed up data:
    >
    >Storage device "Full:1" reported an error on a request to write data to
    >media.
    >
    >Error reported:
    >Otillräckliga systemresurser för att kunna avsluta den begärda servicen.
    >
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    >The error message is in swedish, and means something like "not enough system
    >resources to complete the task".
    >
    >I have read about "OFO", but I don't think we are using that since I read
    >that it is sold separetely, and we didn't buy it.
    >
    >I have checked the taskmanager and the server never uses more then about

    150
    >MB of RAM. But, during backup the "free fysical memory" goes down to about

    5
    >MB when it usually is above 400 MB. To me it look like something is using
    >more and more RAM but never uses the swapfile?
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Please reply in news and by mail if you can!
    >
    >// Fred
    >fredrik@lalmek.se

    Hi Frederik,
    I think I've got the same problem as you.

    Characteristics are:
    I use Windows NT 4 Server SP6 with Backup Exec V8.6 build 3808 on a Pentium
    II 400 with 256MB RAM

    I have enough free space on the harddrive Backup-to-disk is writing on.

    I definitly don't use OFO.

    Backup of 1 remote drive is ok, 2 remote drives fail infrequently. After
    restart of server 3 to 4 backups are working without any problems, then the
    problem occurs for the first time. After that backups are working by chance.

    In the Application Log of Windows NT4 there is an error message: Drive: Write()
    WriteFile failed ().
    error = 1450

    I have another server with this configuration (Hardware an Software, except
    there are only 128MB of RAM installed) in my second company and there never
    occured this error. There are much more datas backed up every day. So I don't
    think it is only a memory issue.

    Did you solved the Problem Frederik?

    Can anybody else help me since my workaround (restarting the backup server
    every week) is very "rough".

    Thanks a lot in advance!!

    Jens
    AVISO GmbH
    Germany

  3. Re: "not enough system resources to complete the task" when using backup-to-disk

    "Jens Eberhardt" wrote:

> [...]

    >Backup of 1 remote drive is ok, 2 remote drives fail infrequently. After
    >restart of server 3 to 4 backups are working without any problems, then

    the
    >problem occurs for the first time. After that backups are working by chance.
    >
    >In the Application Log of Windows NT4 there is an error message: Drive:

    Write()
    >WriteFile failed ().
    > error = 1450
    >
    >I have another server with this configuration (Hardware an Software, except
    >there are only 128MB of RAM installed) in my second company and there never
    >occured this error. There are much more datas backed up every day. So I

    don't
    >think it is only a memory issue.
    >
    >Did you solved the Problem Frederik?
    >
    >Can anybody else help me since my workaround (restarting the backup server

    I am having a very similar problem here. Originally posted here -->
    http://news.support.veritas.com/dnew...em=54260&utag=
    I had a server die, and replaced it with a near identical server (2x933Mhz,
    784 RAM, W2K Serv SP2, 1.12TB Array for backups with 300+ GB free) Suddenly
    the above started happening, except rebooting didn't seem to help. It backs
    up 1-4 GB of data then hurls. No lack of RAM or free HD space when it happens.

+ Reply to Thread