File and Printer Sharing - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on File and Printer Sharing - Veritas Backup Exec ; Using BENT 8.x remote agent on a WIndows 2K SRV box. Does File and Printer Sharing HAVE to be enabled on this machine's only NIC for the backup job to complete successfully? How does this work? Thanks, Rob S....

  1. File and Printer Sharing

    Using BENT 8.x remote agent on a WIndows 2K SRV box. Does File and Printer
    Sharing HAVE to be enabled on this machine's only NIC for the backup job
    to complete successfully?
    How does this work?

    Thanks,
    Rob S.

  2. Re: File and Printer Sharing

    Did anybody ever answer this one? I am also interested in the answer. I
    would like to be able to back up my servers remotely, but not have File and
    Print Sharing enabled.

    -Craig

    "Rob S" wrote:

    >Using BENT 8.x remote agent on a WIndows 2K SRV box. Does File and Printer
    >Sharing HAVE to be enabled on this machine's only NIC for the backup job
    >to complete successfully?
    >How does this work?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Rob S.

  3. Re: File and Printer Sharing

    All you need is to have the Admin Shares enabled.

    "Craig Drake" wrote:

    >Did anybody ever answer this one? I am also interested in the answer.

    >would like to be able to back up my servers remotely, but not have File

    and
    >Print Sharing enabled.
    >
    >-Craig
    >

    >"Rob S" wrote:
    >>
    >>Using BENT 8.x remote agent on a WIndows 2K SRV box. Does File and Printer
    >>Sharing HAVE to be enabled on this machine's only NIC for the backup job
    >>to complete successfully?
    >>How does this work?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Rob S.

  4. Re: File and Printer Sharing

    But don't you need file/printer sharing to have the admin shares enabled?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >All you need is to have the Admin Shares enabled.
    >

    >"Craig Drake" wrote:
    >>
    >>Did anybody ever answer this one? I am also interested in the answer.

    >>would like to be able to back up my servers remotely, but not have File

    >and
    >>Print Sharing enabled.
    >>
    >>-Craig
    >>

    >>"Rob S" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Using BENT 8.x remote agent on a WIndows 2K SRV box. Does File and Printer
    >>>Sharing HAVE to be enabled on this machine's only NIC for the backup job
    >>>to complete successfully?
    >>>How does this work?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Rob S.

  5. Re: File and Printer Sharing

    Craig Drake wrote:

    > Did anybody ever answer this one? I am also interested in the answer. I
    > would like to be able to back up my servers remotely, but not have File
    > and Print Sharing enabled.

    AFAIK, BENT requires the Windows networking services to back up a remote
    system, so you would not be able to disable F/P sharing. Out of curiosity,
    why do you want/need to disable F/P sharing on your servers? It's not that
    hard to lock down.

+ Reply to Thread