I've been researching SLOW issues with our backup and as a test scheduled
a backup job to backup three files on the backup server for a total of 15K
of data. We are running BE8.6, so it shows us the "loading media" and then
starts the "pre-processing" as a separate state. The backup of 15K of data
taken over 30 minutes and counting to pre-process alone. We do have the
Open File Option installed and BE is set to calculate the maximum size of
the static volume. BE is set to wait only 20 seconds for "quiet time".
BE OFO is set up to wait only 5 seconds of "no disk activity" before the
static volume is created.

How can I reduce the time it takes to preprocess?

The problem is we backup about 50GB each night, not just 15K.