BE 8.6 tries to backup disconnected servers, fails - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.6 tries to backup disconnected servers, fails - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have about 15 - 20 servers that BE backs up every night. All servers, including the master, are running windows 2000. There are 2 or 3 servers/workstations that I recently disconnected from the network but BE tries to ...

  1. BE 8.6 tries to backup disconnected servers, fails

    Hi,
    I have about 15 - 20 servers that BE backs up every night. All servers,
    including the master, are running windows 2000. There are 2 or 3
    servers/workstations that I recently disconnected from the network but BE
    tries to connect to those servers each night and subsequently fails. I
    cannot delete them from the backup job because they do not appear in the
    list (disconnected from network). I've "Saved" over the job several times
    after the servers have been disconnected, but BE is still trying to connect.

    In the past I have just created a new backup job every time I disconnect a
    server, but this is getting old. I don't want to have to recreate a backup
    job every time I take a server off the network, which happens frequently.

    Is there an easier way?

    Sue

  2. Re: BE 8.6 tries to backup disconnected servers, fails

    Open the appropriate Selection List(s), choose Text Mode, delete the old servers,
    save.

    "Sue B." wrote:
    >Hi,
    >I have about 15 - 20 servers that BE backs up every night. All servers,
    >including the master, are running windows 2000. There are 2 or 3
    >servers/workstations that I recently disconnected from the network but BE
    >tries to connect to those servers each night and subsequently fails. I
    >cannot delete them from the backup job because they do not appear in the
    >list (disconnected from network). I've "Saved" over the job several times
    >after the servers have been disconnected, but BE is still trying to connect.
    >
    >In the past I have just created a new backup job every time I disconnect

    >server, but this is getting old. I don't want to have to recreate a backup
    >job every time I take a server off the network, which happens frequently.
    >
    >Is there an easier way?
    >
    >Sue

  3. Re: BE 8.6 tries to backup disconnected servers, fails

    Sue,

    I have the same problem. I know that this is not the real solution, but I
    simply rename any old machine that I normally don't backup the same name
    as the server I have taken offline. When it shows up in the list I remove
    it from the selection. If you find a better way let me know.

    The easiest way of corse is to remove it from the selection list before you
    take it off line.

    Good luck

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Open the appropriate Selection List(s), choose Text Mode, delete the old

    servers,
    >save.
    >
    >"Sue B." wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>I have about 15 - 20 servers that BE backs up every night. All servers,
    >>including the master, are running windows 2000. There are 2 or 3
    >>servers/workstations that I recently disconnected from the network but

    BE
    >>tries to connect to those servers each night and subsequently fails. I
    >>cannot delete them from the backup job because they do not appear in the
    >>list (disconnected from network). I've "Saved" over the job several times
    >>after the servers have been disconnected, but BE is still trying to connect.
    >>
    >>In the past I have just created a new backup job every time I disconnect

    >>server, but this is getting old. I don't want to have to recreate a backup
    >>job every time I take a server off the network, which happens frequently.
    >>
    >>Is there an easier way?
    >>
    >>Sue

  4. Re: BE 8.6 tries to backup disconnected servers, fails

    You cannot delete the (offline servers) from the selected items (graphic version)
    because they don't exist there. However, they exist in the selected items
    (text mode), so you need to open the job definition properties of the job
    containing these (offline) servers, go to selections, display them in "text
    mode", delete them from the text mode and you'll be alright.

    "Joseph Rains" wrote:

    >Sue,
    >
    >I have the same problem. I know that this is not the real solution, but

    >simply rename any old machine that I normally don't backup the same name
    >as the server I have taken offline. When it shows up in the list I remove
    >it from the selection. If you find a better way let me know.
    >
    >The easiest way of corse is to remove it from the selection list before

    you
    >take it off line.
    >
    >Good luck
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Open the appropriate Selection List(s), choose Text Mode, delete the old

    >servers,
    >>save.
    >>
    >>"Sue B." wrote:
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I have about 15 - 20 servers that BE backs up every night. All servers,
    >>>including the master, are running windows 2000. There are 2 or 3
    >>>servers/workstations that I recently disconnected from the network but

    >BE
    >>>tries to connect to those servers each night and subsequently fails. I
    >>>cannot delete them from the backup job because they do not appear in the
    >>>list (disconnected from network). I've "Saved" over the job several times
    >>>after the servers have been disconnected, but BE is still trying to connect.
    >>>
    >>>In the past I have just created a new backup job every time I disconnect

    >>>server, but this is getting old. I don't want to have to recreate a backup
    >>>job every time I take a server off the network, which happens frequently.
    >>>
    >>>Is there an easier way?
    >>>
    >>>Sue

+ Reply to Thread