Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello guys, This is a bit of a tricky situations so I would appreciate any advice veterans in the backup world could give me. Ok, here is the situation. I bought a Quantum/ATL Powerstor L200 Autoloader with a DLT7000 drive. ...

  1. Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    Hello guys,
    This is a bit of a tricky situations so I would appreciate any advice
    veterans in the backup world could give me. Ok, here is the situation. I
    bought a Quantum/ATL Powerstor L200 Autoloader with a DLT7000 drive. After
    taking apart the old backup config I hooked up the new drive got everything
    all set. BackupExec wouldn't recongnize the autoloader, it saw the drive
    fine but not the robotic arm, autoloader or whatever you want to call it.
    After going through my own session of troubleshooting and coming up with
    nothing that could be wrong, I called Quantum to see if they could give me
    any ideas. They were unsuccesful in getting backupexec to recognize the
    autoloader but we determined that the hardware configuration was fine.
    Windows was detecting that the was an autoloader but couldn't find drivers
    for it (and thats not the problem, its supposed to be like that) and
    everything was showing up at the SCSI cards detection of hardware. So, I
    think ok, this is a software issue. I go through some lengthy
    troubleshooting on my end and don't get things working. So I call Veritas.
    We go through quite a bit of troubleshooting. Here is a partial list of
    what I remember: 1) Deleted the standalone drive in backupExec, cycled the
    services and tried to get it to detect, still detected as standalone drive.
    2) Deleted PVL.mdb, detected drive, cycled backupexec services and
    restarted. 3) Deleted standalone drive, reinstalled tape drive and
    autoloader drivers. 4) deleted registry entries such as SCSIChanger keys
    and others. 5) Mix and match any one of those combinations nothing worked.
    After each change I always cycled the system with a complete power down
    (overkill?). The tech then looked at the log file that I created for him,
    here is part of it.

    0002:0000:0002:0000 Device Name ""
    Primary Inquiry "ATL Powerstor L200 0014"
    <------Here as well.
    Serial Number ""
    Device Flags SCSI
    Device State 1, Offline, ERROR = 0x0000007B
    (ERROR_INVALID_NAME) <-------------------Here is the problem

    0002:0000:0003:0000 Device Name "\\.\Tape0"
    Primary Inquiry "QUANTUM DLT7000 2565"
    Serial Number "QUANTUM DLT7000
    CXA10S1933"
    Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 0)
    Device State 3, Online

    The tech said that the Autoloader wasn't giving out the correct ID string to
    be recongnized by the software. The primary Inquiry you see above is how
    its being reported to the system. There are several entries in the registry
    that supposedly are how it supposed to be reported to be picked up by the
    software. Those look something like one of these:

    ATL_L500 ATL L200
    ATL_L500 ATL L500
    ATL_L500 QUANTUM DLTstor314
    ATL_L500 QUANTUM DLTstor108
    ATL_L500 QUANTUM Powerstor L200

    So apparently the string is just not matching up. Everything is supposed to
    work, everything is on the compatibility list as being tested but it just
    won't go. I left off with Veritas with them telling me I needed to either
    update the firmware or change the ID string. So the ball is back in
    Quantum's court. Their tech support people could have been classified as
    being a**holes, in my opinion just by the way they talked to me and
    arrogantly proclaimed their product was fine. Hopefully someone can explain
    their reasoning for me. I asked if there was anyway of updating the
    firmware or changing the ID string because the software wasn't recongnizing
    it. A blunt no. They claim their firmware is fine and the ID string is
    fine. Hey, its being reported as an ATL Powerstor L200 right? (slight
    sarcasm). They said they had problems in the past but they straightened
    things out and if I am using Backupexec past version 3 I should be fine. I
    explained my situation with going through things with the Veritas tech and
    concluding its probably the ID string. They then told me I would have to
    pay a tech to come out and update the firmware or change the ID string.
    (Why can't they provide something for me to do this by myself?) To do that
    would cost 300 dollars per hour for a minimum of 4 hours. It seemed to me
    like he just pulled those figures out of the air, but I doubt the company I
    work for would want to pay to have quantum come out and fix something that
    should just work. So basically Quantum told me its a Veritas issue and they
    need to update their software. Ahhhhh! Who do I believe? Who is at fault
    here? And how can I get this resolved? Or does anyone think there is
    another problem that I haven't noticed? I would greatly appreciate any
    advice on the matter. Heck, I appreciate the effort anyone put into reading
    this huge spiel.

    Thanks,
    Bill Warnke

  2. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    It sounds like Backup Exec was already installed when you added the autoloader?
    If nothing else works, you may consider completely removing and reinstalling
    Backup Exec, see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190646.htm for how
    not to lose all your catalogs and jobs if you decide to do that.

    Shelly

    "Bill" wrote:
> [...]

    >concluding its probably the ID string. They then told me I would have to
    >pay a tech to come out and update the firmware or change the ID string.
    >(Why can't they provide something for me to do this by myself?) To do that
    >would cost 300 dollars per hour for a minimum of 4 hours. It seemed to

    me
    >like he just pulled those figures out of the air, but I doubt the company

    >work for would want to pay to have quantum come out and fix something that
    >should just work. So basically Quantum told me its a Veritas issue and

    they
    >need to update their software. Ahhhhh! Who do I believe? Who is at fault
    >here? And how can I get this resolved? Or does anyone think there is
    >another problem that I haven't noticed? I would greatly appreciate any
    >advice on the matter. Heck, I appreciate the effort anyone put into reading

  3. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    Hi,

    I did have the same trouble with a spectralogic AIT drive. I could see the
    2 drives, but not the robotic arm ... We also did the thing with the PVL.mdb
    file but nothing worked. Until we changed the order of SCSI ID's of the robotic
    arm and the tape drives. BackupExec needs the robotic arm at a lower ID than
    the tape drives. We now have our robotic arm at SCSI ID 1 and the tape drive's
    at SCSI ID 4 and 5. For some reason we couldn't use SCSI ID 3, maybe becaurse
    it's hooked up to a fiber switch. The factory default configuration of the
    AIT unit was: robotic arm on ID 3 and the tape units on ID 1 and 2! Maybe
    this information helps you ... goog luck.

    "Bill" wrote:
> [...]

    >concluding its probably the ID string. They then told me I would have to
    >pay a tech to come out and update the firmware or change the ID string.
    >(Why can't they provide something for me to do this by myself?) To do that
    >would cost 300 dollars per hour for a minimum of 4 hours. It seemed to

    me
    >like he just pulled those figures out of the air, but I doubt the company

    >work for would want to pay to have quantum come out and fix something that
    >should just work. So basically Quantum told me its a Veritas issue and

    they
    >need to update their software. Ahhhhh! Who do I believe? Who is at fault
    >here? And how can I get this resolved? Or does anyone think there is
    >another problem that I haven't noticed? I would greatly appreciate any
    >advice on the matter. Heck, I appreciate the effort anyone put into reading

  4. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    Sorry, already tried this. Changed it quite a few times, tried 4 and 5, 0
    and 1, 1 and 2. All sorts of stuff and the arm always was the lowest one.

    Bill

    "Luuk" wrote in message

> [...]

    > >(Why can't they provide something for me to do this by myself?) To do

    that
    > >would cost 300 dollars per hour for a minimum of 4 hours. It seemed to

    > me
    > >like he just pulled those figures out of the air, but I doubt the company

    > >work for would want to pay to have quantum come out and fix something

    that
    > >should just work. So basically Quantum told me its a Veritas issue and

    > they
    > >need to update their software. Ahhhhh! Who do I believe? Who is at

    fault
    > >here? And how can I get this resolved? Or does anyone think there is
    > >another problem that I haven't noticed? I would greatly appreciate any
    > >advice on the matter. Heck, I appreciate the effort anyone put into

  5. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    Had the same problem myself. Different hardware, a Quantum DLT4700
    autoloader with an ID string that had been modified slightly by SUN and so
    wasn't quite what Backup Exec was expecting. I too assumed Veritas could
    give me a quick way of telling their software that this drive was actually
    'drive x', but I got no joy.
    As we couldn't update the firmware we just bought another library, but
    Backup Exec is such a pain in the a*** I'm wishing we'd gone with Arcserve
    instead! (which detected and installed the correct drivers, as did Win2K...)

    Roger Jardine

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > Hello guys,
    > This is a bit of a tricky situations so I would appreciate any advice
    > veterans in the backup world could give me. Ok, here is the situation. I
    > bought a Quantum/ATL Powerstor L200 Autoloader with a DLT7000 drive.

    After
    > taking apart the old backup config I hooked up the new drive got

    everything
    > all set. [snip] The tech said that the Autoloader wasn't giving out the

    correct ID string to
    > be recongnized by the software. [snip]
    > Thanks,
    > Bill Warnke

  6. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    Oh boy! I hope I'm not in the same boat here. I've got a Quantum TH5EA-YF
    DLT4700 library here, that I have just picked up. It has been tweaked to
    report itself as a HP 7980S drive, so BENT won't treat it as a library.

    I *know* that the firmware tweak for what they call the "personality" of
    the drive/library is possible. But, Quantum has gone into the "buy a new
    drive" mode so badly, that they claim that they don't support drives/libraries
    that the sold less than a year ago. This looks to me as if Quantum is getting
    ready to do a "ENRON" implosion soon.

    SOMEONE *has* to know the tweak... someone! I have some 4000/4700 firmware
    images that I found on Quantum's FTP server... but I'll be damned if I can
    get ANYONE at Quantum to tell me how to load the damn things! There is no
    way in hell that we are going to drop another $6000 to find a solution to
    this. Veritas should do the right thing and gain some BIG points in customer
    satisfaction by picking up Quantum's sinking ship of support, and do a few
    hours of research into the tweaks for the 4000/4700's. Lord knows there
    are TONS of these machines out there and if we can't get the library feature
    working, then we are sacking BENT and are going to have to use the libraries
    as single drives with manual loading. That means we don't need BENT, the
    Windows Backup will do fine for that mode.

    Veritas, this is your golden opportunity to come out smelling like a rose
    and boosting customer loyalty and sales!! If Quantum is so far gone that
    they are trying to force companies to buy a new product, rather than telling
    someone how to load the firmware image... let us hope that you can keep your
    stock prices going up by going the extra mile for your long time customers.
    Please!

    Brian Brooking
    (purchaser of BENT for Qualcomm Personal Electronics, Pfizer Global R&D La
    Jolla and BNB Associates.... IOW, those are all pretty big installations
    and BIG chunk of $$$)

    BNB Associates
    (760) 732-0299
    brooking@bnbassociates.net

    "news.support.veritas.com" wrote:
    >Had the same problem myself. Different hardware, a Quantum DLT4700
    >autoloader with an ID string that had been modified slightly by SUN and

    so
    >wasn't quite what Backup Exec was expecting. I too assumed Veritas could
    >give me a quick way of telling their software that this drive was actually
    >'drive x', but I got no joy.
    >As we couldn't update the firmware we just bought another library, but
    >Backup Exec is such a pain in the a*** I'm wishing we'd gone with Arcserve
    >instead! (which detected and installed the correct drivers, as did Win2K...)
    >
    >Roger Jardine
    >
    >"Bill" wrote in message
    >> Hello guys,
    >> This is a bit of a tricky situations so I would appreciate any advice
    >> veterans in the backup world could give me. Ok, here is the situation.

    >> bought a Quantum/ATL Powerstor L200 Autoloader with a DLT7000 drive.

    >After
    >> taking apart the old backup config I hooked up the new drive got

    >everything
    >> all set. [snip] The tech said that the Autoloader wasn't giving out the

    >correct ID string to
    >> be recongnized by the software. [snip]
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bill Warnke

  7. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    If you want to address Veritas, this is not the place to do it. This is strictly a
    User-to-User forum.

    You could try th E-Mail support page at
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on

    (URL may be wrapped)
    or the Product Enahancements page at http://enhancement.veritas.com/.

    Brian Brooking wrote:

> [...]

    > >give me a quick way of telling their software that this drive was actually
    > >'drive x', but I got no joy.
    > >As we couldn't update the firmware we just bought another library, but
    > >Backup Exec is such a pain in the a*** I'm wishing we'd gone with Arcserve
    > >instead! (which detected and installed the correct drivers, as did Win2K...)
    > >
    > >Roger Jardine
    > >
    > >"Bill" wrote in message
    > >> Hello guys,
    > >> This is a bit of a tricky situations so I would appreciate any advice
    > >> veterans in the backup world could give me. Ok, here is the situation.

    > >> bought a Quantum/ATL Powerstor L200 Autoloader with a DLT7000 drive.

    > >After
    > >> taking apart the old backup config I hooked up the new drive got

    > >everything
    > >> all set. [snip] The tech said that the Autoloader wasn't giving out the

  8. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    I think I addressed just about everyone in the universe in my post. I would
    be more than happy for ANYONE on this planet to come forward with any suggestions.

    My comments "addressing Veritas" or Quantum for that matter, was my shock
    that Quantum would be playing the "buy a new library, we don't support that
    one" game so quickly with the 4xxx's.

    Could you imagine if you took your 2000 Chevy Corvette to the dealer for
    service and he told you to buy a 2002, because Chevy doesn't support the
    2000's??

    In the arena of capital investments, of the larger size, a company just doesn't
    *do* that! Unless it is in such dire condition that it must try to force
    it's customers to reinvest in their IT capital assets... yearly?

    We still get complete and perfect support for our Proliant 3000's, and I'd
    say Compaq is in perhaps even worse shape than Quantum (but it is hard to
    tell with the accounting shell games).

    IOW, I am venting my frustration with Quantum and making a plea to ANYONE
    who has the procedure to get in and change the "personality" bytes in the
    DLT4000/DLT4700.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
> [...]

    La
    >> Jolla and BNB Associates.... IOW, those are all pretty big installations
    >> and BIG chunk of $$$)
    >>
    >> BNB Associates
    >> (760) 732-0299
    >> brooking@bnbassociates.net
    >>
    >> "news.support.veritas.com" wrote:
    >> >Had the same problem myself. Different hardware, a Quantum DLT4700
    >> >autoloader with an ID string that had been modified slightly by SUN and

    >> so
    >> >wasn't quite what Backup Exec was expecting. I too assumed Veritas could
    >> >give me a quick way of telling their software that this drive was actually
    >> >'drive x', but I got no joy.
    >> >As we couldn't update the firmware we just bought another library, but
    >> >Backup Exec is such a pain in the a*** I'm wishing we'd gone with Arcserve
    >> >instead! (which detected and installed the correct drivers, as did Win2K...)

  9. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    Dear Brian,

    Your situation with the 4700 doesn't appear to be as terminal as mine was, I
    think you still have the standard firmware, only the drive personality has
    been changed. Have a look in

    ftp://ftp.quantum.com/

    particularly

    ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Utilities/dlttools/ (the DLTtools manual explains how
    to change the 'type' or personality)
    ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Tape_Firmware/Dlt4000/ (if you want to upgrade the
    firmware whilst you're at it)

    and
    http://www.quantum.com/NR/rdonlyres/...56duudngkdvwr2
    yp7v7ughni5cupn3jjmlwjkkeufld3r54dm4b/DLT_Personalities.pdf
    (tells you about personality types)
    http://www.quantumatl.com/Products/m...series_man.pdf
    (general 4700 manual)

    Good luck, I hope this helps,

    Roger Jardine

    "Brian Brooking" wrote in message

    > I think I addressed just about everyone in the universe in my post. I

    would
    > be more than happy for ANYONE on this planet to come forward with any

    suggestions.

    > My comments "addressing Veritas" or Quantum for that matter, was my shock
    > that Quantum would be playing the "buy a new library, we don't support

    that
    > one" game so quickly with the 4xxx's.
    >
    > Could you imagine if you took your 2000 Chevy Corvette to the dealer for
    > service and he told you to buy a 2002, because Chevy doesn't support the
    > 2000's??
    >
    > In the arena of capital investments, of the larger size, a company just

    doesn't
    > *do* that! Unless it is in such dire condition that it must try to force
    > it's customers to reinvest in their IT capital assets... yearly?
    >
    > We still get complete and perfect support for our Proliant 3000's, and I'd
    > say Compaq is in perhaps even worse shape than Quantum (but it is hard to
    > tell with the accounting shell games).
    >
    > IOW, I am venting my frustration with Quantum and making a plea to ANYONE
    > who has the procedure to get in and change the "personality" bytes in the
    > DLT4000/DLT4700.
    >

    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >If you want to address Veritas, this is not the place to do it. This is

    > strictly a
    > >User-to-User forum.
    > >
    > >You could try th E-Mail support page at

    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...p?ddProduct=BE

    WNT&crumb=on

> [...]

    > the
    > >> Windows Backup will do fine for that mode.
    > >>
    > >> Veritas, this is your golden opportunity to come out smelling like a

    rose
    > >> and boosting customer loyalty and sales!! If Quantum is so far gone

    that
    > >> they are trying to force companies to buy a new product, rather than

    telling
    > >> someone how to load the firmware image... let us hope that you can keep

    > your
    > >> stock prices going up by going the extra mile for your long time

    customers.
    > >> Please!
    > >>
    > >> Brian Brooking
    > >> (purchaser of BENT for Qualcomm Personal Electronics, Pfizer Global R&D

    > La
    > >> Jolla and BNB Associates.... IOW, those are all pretty big

  10. Re: Autoloader problems and support from Veritas/Quantum

    can someone help me update my SUN DLT4700 autoloader firmware?
    i can only find firmware for the tape device and not the loader.
    thanks.

+ Reply to Thread