Veritas Backup Exec serial number - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Veritas Backup Exec serial number - Veritas Backup Exec ; Don't know if anyone can help out there but I work for a company who recently had the computers including the server stolen. We use Veritas Backup Exec 7.3 having purchased it (it would appear) from Dell as part of ...

  1. Veritas Backup Exec serial number

    Don't know if anyone can help out there but I work for a company who recently
    had the computers including the server stolen.

    We use Veritas Backup Exec 7.3 having purchased it (it would appear) from
    Dell as part of their Dell Openmanage package. However when our software
    engineer came to reinstall Veritas onto the replacement server he was asked
    to complete the serial no. when prompted. Unfortunately having looked around
    at all the boxes, booklets, leaflets and cd's etc that came with the cd nobody
    can find the serial number. He had to install Veritas on the evaluation program
    and we are currently on day 17 out of 60 evaluation days available.

    Having tried both Veritas and Dell we have been unable to establish what
    the serial number might be. It has been suggested that the serial number
    may be stored in the data on the digital tape and that it may be possible
    to restore the registry information from the DAT tape.

    Does anybody have any suggestions as to how we can change the evaluation
    software to the full package without having to resort to purchasing another
    copy of Veritas from Dell.?

    I thank you in anticipation.

  2. Re: Veritas Backup Exec serial number

    If you have a valid backup tape, why was the engineer reinstalling the OS
    and apps from scratch? Why not do a disaster-recovery type restore? This
    will give you all your apps and data as of the time the backup was taken.

    for NT4/BENT v7.x:
    wipe/re-format the drives to get a clean system
    verify that the partitions are at least as large as they were before (ie
    you can't restore a 4GB C: drive to a new 2GB C: drive .
    install a vanilla version of NT - TO A DIFFERENT DIRECTORY (ie to c:\winnt.tmp).
    If the backup server is the target server, just get the OS to whatever SP
    is required for v7.3 (SP4, I believe)
    Install BENT
    do a complete restore, no re-direct.
    re-boot.

    Your system should be exactly as it was, including all installed software
    and serials, IP adress etc

    "Steve" wrote:

    >Don't know if anyone can help out there but I work for a company who recently
    >had the computers including the server stolen.
    >
    >We use Veritas Backup Exec 7.3 having purchased it (it would appear) from
    >Dell as part of their Dell Openmanage package. However when our software
    >engineer came to reinstall Veritas onto the replacement server he was asked
    >to complete the serial no. when prompted. Unfortunately having looked around
    >at all the boxes, booklets, leaflets and cd's etc that came with the cd

    nobody
    >can find the serial number. He had to install Veritas on the evaluation

    program
    >and we are currently on day 17 out of 60 evaluation days available.
    >
    >Having tried both Veritas and Dell we have been unable to establish what
    >the serial number might be. It has been suggested that the serial number
    >may be stored in the data on the digital tape and that it may be possible
    >to restore the registry information from the DAT tape.
    >
    >Does anybody have any suggestions as to how we can change the evaluation
    >software to the full package without having to resort to purchasing another
    >copy of Veritas from Dell.?
    >
    >I thank you in anticipation.

  3. Re: Veritas Backup Exec serial number

    If you can access the registry info:
    hkey_local_machine; software; veritas; backup exec; namesvc; 'domainname';
    'servername'; serno

    "Steve" wrote:

    >Don't know if anyone can help out there but I work for a company who recently
    >had the computers including the server stolen.
    >
    >We use Veritas Backup Exec 7.3 having purchased it (it would appear) from
    >Dell as part of their Dell Openmanage package. However when our software
    >engineer came to reinstall Veritas onto the replacement server he was asked
    >to complete the serial no. when prompted. Unfortunately having looked around
    >at all the boxes, booklets, leaflets and cd's etc that came with the cd

    nobody
    >can find the serial number. He had to install Veritas on the evaluation

    program
    >and we are currently on day 17 out of 60 evaluation days available.
    >
    >Having tried both Veritas and Dell we have been unable to establish what
    >the serial number might be. It has been suggested that the serial number
    >may be stored in the data on the digital tape and that it may be possible
    >to restore the registry information from the DAT tape.
    >
    >Does anybody have any suggestions as to how we can change the evaluation
    >software to the full package without having to resort to purchasing another
    >copy of Veritas from Dell.?
    >
    >I thank you in anticipation.

  4. Re: Veritas Backup Exec serial number

    If you have a Full backup for this server, you could restore BEDIAG.FAX
    file.

    The S/N for Backup Exec is in this file !

    Bye.

    "Steve Watts" a écrit dans le message de news:
    3c34df00$1@hronntp01....

    > If you can access the registry info:
    > hkey_local_machine; software; veritas; backup exec; namesvc; 'domainname';
    > 'servername'; serno
    >

    > "Steve" wrote:
    > >
    > >Don't know if anyone can help out there but I work for a company who

    recently
    > >had the computers including the server stolen.
    > >
    > >We use Veritas Backup Exec 7.3 having purchased it (it would appear) from
    > >Dell as part of their Dell Openmanage package. However when our software
    > >engineer came to reinstall Veritas onto the replacement server he was

    asked
    > >to complete the serial no. when prompted. Unfortunately having looked

    around
    > >at all the boxes, booklets, leaflets and cd's etc that came with the cd

    > nobody
    > >can find the serial number. He had to install Veritas on the evaluation

    > program
    > >and we are currently on day 17 out of 60 evaluation days available.
    > >
    > >Having tried both Veritas and Dell we have been unable to establish what
    > >the serial number might be. It has been suggested that the serial number
    > >may be stored in the data on the digital tape and that it may be possible
    > >to restore the registry information from the DAT tape.
    > >
    > >Does anybody have any suggestions as to how we can change the evaluation
    > >software to the full package without having to resort to purchasing

    another
    > >copy of Veritas from Dell.?
    > >
    > >I thank you in anticipation.

+ Reply to Thread