Restoration/Recovery of an NT Server running a number of Services using IDR with BE 8.6 rev 3878 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restoration/Recovery of an NT Server running a number of Services using IDR with BE 8.6 rev 3878 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I thought I would start up a thread on restoring a local/remote NT 4/2000 server hosting a number of vital services. The version of BE I am using is v8.6 rev 3878. In order to be prepare for the worst ...

  1. Restoration/Recovery of an NT Server running a number of Services using IDR with BE 8.6 rev 3878

    I thought I would start up a thread on restoring a local/remote NT 4/2000
    server hosting a number of vital services. The version of BE I am using is
    v8.6 rev 3878.

    In order to be prepare for the worst case I thought it sensible building
    myself a test NT4 Server with Exchange 5.5, SQL 7.0, IIS4, SMS 2.0, WINS,
    DNS and proxy server all running. That way I can observe the ease at which
    each service can be brought back up.

    The Server was setup with a 4 GB system partition. The backup was run
    remotely using a DDS2 drive from another NT 4 server.

    The server being backed up had the remote agent installed but the OFO was
    left out in this case was set up in such a way as to backup the entire c:\
    drive inclusive of a:
    FULL BACKUP OF Exchange directory store
    FULL BACKUP OF Information store

    FULL BACKUP OF All SQL database excluding file groups.

    The backup completed 100% successfully.

    The IDR restore was carried out by replacing the HD in the server. The IDR
    diskettes and NT server CD were used on the remote server a per normal.
    Custom Setup was chosen and the OS installed to a 2GB FAT partition to allow
    the DRPrep Wizard to run on reboot. After 2 more reboots the IDR Wizard
    started up and the remote media device detected after installing MS
    Networking a supply the wizard with a temp IP address on the same subnet.
    The restoration of the media set for the C drive was started and left
    running. This also completed successfully.

    On reboot the server loaded Windows NT Server. I logged on and hey presto
    the event log came up with an error or two. Exchange 5.5 had failed to
    start, along with IIS and SQL. Taking one thing at a time. I checked to see
    if the priv and pub edb were where they should be and low and behold they
    weren't so I decided to restore the exchange IS and DS from the media server
    again along with the SQL databases also missing from their folder. The
    restoration for the exchange databases went OK according to the BE log
    however the restore job ended with a failure

    Job Operation - Restore
    Unable to attach to NT4SRV_BDC.
    The item was not found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Going back to the server I started the exchange services and hey presto they
    started. Good to know as the production servers we're running were using the
    OFO which was in effect backing up the store twice taking up space on the
    tape.

    Going back to the SQL databases, I tried restoring the databases many times
    but to no avail, there was just no connection so I decided to remove SQL and
    reinstall it with defaults. This time the restore worked but with errors.
    See below. I noticed that the log said the server had to be in the single
    user mode to do a restore however when I stopped all the SQL services and
    started SQLSERVR.exe -m as suggested BE couldn't once more connect to SQL to
    initiate the restore procedure. Strangely enough the SMS application
    appeared to be able to read the SQL database despite the errors though I'm
    not convinced by the error log. I was hoping that the restoration of SQL was
    as straight forward as the Exchange restore i.e. a mere matter of
    re-starting a service (Though I did however found it strange that the
    Exchange database restored OK when communication to it is supposedly not
    possible when its services are stopped ?), none of this scratching my head
    reinstalling SQL and trying to connect to it in single user mode. If that is
    the case there is no point buying the SQL agent, may as well schedule a file
    back using the scheduler within SQL.

    Can anyone throw some light on this matter and/or any other restoration
    tips/techniques when trying to restore a particular NT service ?

    By the way the WINS database remains unbacked up without the OFO installed.
    Installing it allows for it to be backed up. As for IIS there is a specific
    KB article on how to ensure it is backed up and what procedures you need to
    follow in order to get it to start up after a system restore.
    http://support.microsoft.com/directo...;EN-US;q240941
    http://support.microsoft.com/directo...;en-us;Q234429

    Thanks in advance

    foxpro728@hotmail.com

    Job Operation - Restore
    Remote Backup Exec components detected, version (8.60.3878.0).
    Restoring data to NT4SRV_BDC .

    An error occurred on a query to database master.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    RESTORE DATABASE must be used in single user mode when trying to restore the
    master database.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Restore completed on 24/12/01 at 22:45:37 .
    Restored 5 database(s)
    1 item was skipped.

    Processed 27,363,285 bytes in 47 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 33.3 MB/min
    Consistency checking SMS_SMS
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    There was a problem running the DBCC.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    Table Corrupt: Object ID 386100416 (object 'Summarizer_ComponentTallys')
    does not match between 'SYSREFERENCES' and 'SYSCOLUMNS.'.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Consistency checking pubs
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Consistency checking Northwind
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Consistency checking msdb
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Consistency checking model
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Job ended: 24 December 2001 at 22:45:48
    Job completion status: Failed

  2. Re: Restoration/Recovery of an NT Server running a number of Services using IDR with BE 8.6 rev 3878

    With regard to single user mode on SQL. I don't know what you were
    restoring, but starting SQL in single user mode (-m) and setting the
    attributes for an SQL database to single user are not quite the same. You
    should use the -m method to restore Master (only). As part the the restore
    procedure, SQL should then go into recovery and restart itself normal. Then
    you should start Enterprise Manager, right click on a database, and then
    select Properties/Single User. Then you can restore the database. Then set
    properties back to whatever they were. There are numerous documents on this,
    some of which suggest restoring MSDB at the same time as Master, or perhaps
    just after, but before any other database. I don't restore SQL often, but on
    some occasions, I seem to get away without setting the database attributes
    to Single User. I've never worked out why, I'm just grateful it did. It's
    one of those, "I must get down to sorting this out properly one day."
    One day .......

    Ken McNulty

+ Reply to Thread