Corrupt file during backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Corrupt file during backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm running SBS 2000 Server with Backup Exec SBS 8.6 Build 3808 Backup has been running fine for several months, and then this error popped up in the log file: File "PDOXUSRS.NET" in use - Backed up. WARNING: "\Program Files\Timeslips\PDOXUSRS.NET" ...

  1. Corrupt file during backup

    I'm running SBS 2000 Server with Backup Exec SBS 8.6 Build 3808
    Backup has been running fine for several months, and then this error popped
    up
    in the log file:

    File "PDOXUSRS.NET" in use - Backed up.
    WARNING: "\Program Files\Timeslips\PDOXUSRS.NET" is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify

    If the repored file is otherwise OK and works, what can be done to clear up
    the error?
    Thanks,
    kw

  2. Re: Corrupt file during backup

    This will happen if the file is being accessed, it does not really mean the
    pst file is corrupt, you would know, your user would be screaming blue
    murder.

    What you need to do is go to the registry and disable Veritas to make the
    job report as failed if this happens.. see below.

    There is a key in the hkey_local_machine registry under
    software\Veritas\backup exec\engine\backup there is a key called Fail Jobs
    On Corrupt Files. Change this to zero and it willl not fail a job if it
    finds a corrupt file. This is v8.6, so for early versions it may be in a
    different spot, but you get the idea...

    Good luck,

    gg

    "Kevin Weilbacher" wrote in message
    > I'm running SBS 2000 Server with Backup Exec SBS 8.6 Build 3808
    > Backup has been running fine for several months, and then this error

    popped
    > up
    > in the log file:
    >
    > File "PDOXUSRS.NET" in use - Backed up.
    > WARNING: "\Program Files\Timeslips\PDOXUSRS.NET" is a corrupt file.
    > This file cannot verify
    >
    > If the repored file is otherwise OK and works, what can be done to clear

    up
    > the error?
    > Thanks,
    > kw

  3. Re: Corrupt file during backup

    George,

    thanks for the info ... 3 questions:
    1) does the patch simply removed the 'Failed' notice from the Job Activity
    monitor?
    I ask because it appears that Backup Exec already does continue and complete
    the backup process after the specific file that it reports as being
    corrupted is encountered

    2) is BE reporting the file as being corrupt only because it is 'in use'?

    3) how do I convince my customer not to worry about the fact that the backup
    software is reporting the file as being corrupt?

    --kw

    > "Kevin Weilbacher" wrote in message
    > > I'm running SBS 2000 Server with Backup Exec SBS 8.6 Build 3808
    > > Backup has been running fine for several months, and then this error

    > popped
    > > up
    > > in the log file:
    > >
    > > File "PDOXUSRS.NET" in use - Backed up.
    > > WARNING: "\Program Files\Timeslips\PDOXUSRS.NET" is a corrupt file.
    > > This file cannot verify
    > >
    > > If the repored file is otherwise OK and works, what can be done to clear

    > up
    > > the error?
    > > Thanks,
    > > kw

  4. Re: Corrupt file during backup

    1. it stops the backup job from reporting as failed if it finds a corrupt
    file.
    2. 9 times out of 10, yes.
    3. If they can still use the file... it is not corrupt.. ;-)

    > George,
    >
    > thanks for the info ... 3 questions:
    > 1) does the patch simply removed the 'Failed' notice from the Job Activity
    > monitor?
    > I ask because it appears that Backup Exec already does continue and

    complete
    > the backup process after the specific file that it reports as being
    > corrupted is encountered
    >
    > 2) is BE reporting the file as being corrupt only because it is 'in use'?
    >
    > 3) how do I convince my customer not to worry about the fact that the

    backup
    > software is reporting the file as being corrupt?
    >
    > --kw
    >

    > > "Kevin Weilbacher" wrote in message
    > > > I'm running SBS 2000 Server with Backup Exec SBS 8.6 Build 3808
    > > > Backup has been running fine for several months, and then this error

    > > popped
    > > > up
    > > > in the log file:
    > > >
    > > > File "PDOXUSRS.NET" in use - Backed up.
    > > > WARNING: "\Program Files\Timeslips\PDOXUSRS.NET" is a corrupt file.
    > > > This file cannot verify
    > > >
    > > > If the repored file is otherwise OK and works, what can be done to

    clear
    > > up
    > > > the error?
    > > > Thanks,