Insert Overwriteable media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Insert Overwriteable media - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am constantly getting this error message. I'm running BE 8.6 on a W2K Advanced Server. I have set the backup to always "overwrite media": (message) Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command. Overwritable media ...

  1. Insert Overwriteable media

    I am constantly getting this error message. I'm running BE 8.6 on a W2K
    Advanced Server. I have set the backup to always "overwrite media":

    (message)
    Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import
    command.

    Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please
    note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting,
    imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online
    help for more information on overwritable media.

    I also sometimes get messages that my job is Queued...but backup does not
    start....I hate this product, someone else ordered it and my vendow won't
    take it back. Veritas help s_cks !!! Please help....

  2. Re: Insert Overwriteable media

    "RJoyce" wrote in message news:3c151ac9$1@hronntp01

    > I am constantly getting this error message. I'm running BE 8.6 on a W2K
    > Advanced Server. I have set the backup to always "overwrite media":

    > Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import
    > command.

    U need to read and understand the mediamanagemt and overwrite protection to
    avoid loosing data when using
    a autoloader, what BE does is to protect u pr default from overwrite data.

    Look at the manual for the above /no kidding

    > I also sometimes get messages that my job is Queued...but backup does not
    > start....I hate this product, someone else ordered it and my vendow won't
    > take it back. Veritas help s_cks !!! Please help....

    If the support cant guide u , look into the manuals.

  3. Re: Insert Overwriteable media

    I did read the manual...and I do understand the protection
    features...However, I want to overwrite tapes without a hassle...I have set
    the backup to OVER-WRITE but it still gives the message. The other point
    which you might have missed is that sometimes it works for a week...then I
    change the set of tapes (new, sometimes) and it won't run. I noticed someone
    else in this newsgroup is having the same problem...but their problem
    resolution did't work either....

    "Flemming Riis" wrote in message
    > "RJoyce" wrote in message news:3c151ac9$1@hronntp01
    >
    > > I am constantly getting this error message. I'm running BE 8.6 on a W2K
    > > Advanced Server. I have set the backup to always "overwrite media":

    > > Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the

    import
    > > command.

    > U need to read and understand the mediamanagemt and overwrite protection

    > avoid loosing data when using
    > a autoloader, what BE does is to protect u pr default from overwrite data.
    >
    > Look at the manual for the above /no kidding
    >
    > > I also sometimes get messages that my job is Queued...but backup does

    not
    > > start....I hate this product, someone else ordered it and my vendow

    won't
    > > take it back. Veritas help s_cks !!! Please help....

    > If the support cant guide u , look into the manuals.

  4. Re: Insert Overwriteable media

    I have run into this problem also, however was able to resolve it. In general,
    if the global option for allowing media overwrites was not selected when
    you created your media sets, then by default an infinte timeframe for not
    allowing overwrites is put on the media. I had to delete my media sets and
    re-create after I changed the global option under program options.

    "RJoyce" wrote:
    >I did read the manual...and I do understand the protection
    >features...However, I want to overwrite tapes without a hassle...I have

    set
    >the backup to OVER-WRITE but it still gives the message. The other point
    >which you might have missed is that sometimes it works for a week...then

    >change the set of tapes (new, sometimes) and it won't run. I noticed someone
    >else in this newsgroup is having the same problem...but their problem
    >resolution did't work either....
    >
    >"Flemming Riis" wrote in message
    >> "RJoyce" wrote in message news:3c151ac9$1@hronntp01
    >>
    >> > I am constantly getting this error message. I'm running BE 8.6 on a

    W2K
    >> > Advanced Server. I have set the backup to always "overwrite media":

    >> > Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the

    >import
    >> > command.

    >> U need to read and understand the mediamanagemt and overwrite protection

    >> avoid loosing data when using
    >> a autoloader, what BE does is to protect u pr default from overwrite data.
    >>
    >> Look at the manual for the above /no kidding
    >>
    >> > I also sometimes get messages that my job is Queued...but backup does

    >not
    >> > start....I hate this product, someone else ordered it and my vendow

    >won't
    >> > take it back. Veritas help s_cks !!! Please help....

    >> If the support cant guide u , look into the manuals.

  5. Re: Insert Overwriteable media

    I have seen this many times with BE8.6-Windows2000 and BE9-Netware6. It is
    an issue with the media engines for backupexec. I have logged a call with
    Veritas still with no resolution - Its currently with development so they
    reckon. A workaround I have had to use is as Brian has done, delete and recreate
    the media sets. I have also found this to happen after a service pack for
    the server os!!

    "Brian Locascio" wrote:

    >I have run into this problem also, however was able to resolve it. In general,
    >if the global option for allowing media overwrites was not selected when
    >you created your media sets, then by default an infinte timeframe for not
    >allowing overwrites is put on the media. I had to delete my media sets

    and
    >re-create after I changed the global option under program options.
    >
    >"RJoyce" wrote:
    >>I did read the manual...and I do understand the protection
    >>features...However, I want to overwrite tapes without a hassle...I have

    >set
    >>the backup to OVER-WRITE but it still gives the message. The other point
    >>which you might have missed is that sometimes it works for a week...then

    >>change the set of tapes (new, sometimes) and it won't run. I noticed someone
    >>else in this newsgroup is having the same problem...but their problem
    >>resolution did't work either....
    >>
    >>"Flemming Riis" wrote in message

    >W2K

    >>import
    >>>
    >>> U need to read and understand the mediamanagemt and overwrite protection

    >>> avoid loosing data when using
    >>> a autoloader, what BE does is to protect u pr default from overwrite

    data.

    >>> Look at the manual for the above /no kidding

    >>not

    >>won't
    >>>
    >>> If the support cant guide u , look into the manuals.

+ Reply to Thread