What kind of permissions do Backup Operators need to perform backups on domain
controllers? I'm not talking the service account, I'm talking the person
that inserts the tapes, labels them and starts jobs. What permissions does
a user need to do restores?

Currently I have a Win NT domain with multiple remotely located BDC's. I
have operators that only have the Backup op permission that are doing the
backups on these domain controllers. If I'm understanding what I've been
reading than it appears that the person doing the backups on the domain controller
has to be a domain admin. Is this true? If so this is not good. I have
no one qualified at the local site to be a domain admin and it will be a
major performance hit if remote users can't authenticate locally.