Full backup of Exchange 5.5 using BackupExec 8.60 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Full backup of Exchange 5.5 using BackupExec 8.60 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello there. I have a Win2k server which has a tape drive and BackupExac 8.6 installed on that server. I have a seperate Win2k server that has Exchange 5.5 on it. The exchange server has been getting more and more ...

  1. Full backup of Exchange 5.5 using BackupExec 8.60

    Hello there. I have a Win2k server which has a tape drive and BackupExac 8.6
    installed on that server. I have a seperate Win2k server that has Exchange
    5.5 on it. The exchange server has been getting more and more disk errors
    on it, thus the urgent need for a full backup to be done.
    I have read stuff from microsoft but all their docs only deal with NT BAckup.
    Can someone please tell me how to do this full backup, or lead me on the
    right path?? I am in desperate need of this info, and any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    filner

  2. Re: Full backup of Exchange 5.5 using BackupExec 8.60

    to backup exchange with BE you need the exchange agent for it, to be
    able to do an online-backup.
    this will need a couple of days until it is delivered. or just do an
    offline backup of exchange by just stopping all services of exchange,
    run the remote backup job and then start all services again. That way
    you have at least a backup on tape.
    or
    what you could do is just run an NTbackup (online) from the W2k with the
    tape to get the exchange server, but to do that you have to install the
    exchange administrator on the w2k with the tape do be able to do the
    online backup of exchange, by installing the exchange admin on the w2k
    with tape you add the functionality to make online backups of exchange
    to the ntbackup software.

    hope this is clear enough.
    cs

    filner wrote:

    > Hello there. I have a Win2k server which has a tape drive and BackupExac 8.6
    > installed on that server. I have a seperate Win2k server that has Exchange
    > 5.5 on it. The exchange server has been getting more and more disk errors
    > on it, thus the urgent need for a full backup to be done.
    > I have read stuff from microsoft but all their docs only deal with NT BAckup.
    > Can someone please tell me how to do this full backup, or lead me on the
    > right path?? I am in desperate need of this info, and any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > filner

  3. Re: Full backup of Exchange 5.5 using BackupExec 8.60

    Hello; ok , great info. My next question would be, Exchange admin, does that
    come with Exchange 5.5 cd?

    "C. Selinger" wrote:
    >to backup exchange with BE you need the exchange agent for it, to be
    >able to do an online-backup.
    >this will need a couple of days until it is delivered. or just do an
    >offline backup of exchange by just stopping all services of exchange,
    >run the remote backup job and then start all services again. That way
    >you have at least a backup on tape.
    >or
    >what you could do is just run an NTbackup (online) from the W2k with the

    >tape to get the exchange server, but to do that you have to install the

    >exchange administrator on the w2k with the tape do be able to do the
    >online backup of exchange, by installing the exchange admin on the w2k
    >with tape you add the functionality to make online backups of exchange
    >to the ntbackup software.
    >
    >hope this is clear enough.
    >cs
    >
    >filner wrote:
    >
    >> Hello there. I have a Win2k server which has a tape drive and BackupExac

    8.6
    >> installed on that server. I have a seperate Win2k server that has Exchange
    >> 5.5 on it. The exchange server has been getting more and more disk errors
    >> on it, thus the urgent need for a full backup to be done.
    >> I have read stuff from microsoft but all their docs only deal with NT

    BAckup.
    >> Can someone please tell me how to do this full backup, or lead me on the
    >> right path?? I am in desperate need of this info, and any help would be

    appreciated.

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> filner

  4. Re: Full backup of Exchange 5.5 using BackupExec 8.60

    yes, is installed on it.

    filner wrote:

    > Hello; ok , great info. My next question would be, Exchange admin, does that
    > come with Exchange 5.5 cd?
    >

    > "C. Selinger" wrote:
    >
    >>to backup exchange with BE you need the exchange agent for it, to be
    >>able to do an online-backup.
    >>this will need a couple of days until it is delivered. or just do an
    >>offline backup of exchange by just stopping all services of exchange,
    >>run the remote backup job and then start all services again. That way
    >>you have at least a backup on tape.
    >>or
    >>what you could do is just run an NTbackup (online) from the W2k with the
    >>

    >>tape to get the exchange server, but to do that you have to install the
    >>

    >>exchange administrator on the w2k with the tape do be able to do the
    >>online backup of exchange, by installing the exchange admin on the w2k
    >>with tape you add the functionality to make online backups of exchange
    >>to the ntbackup software.
    >>
    >>hope this is clear enough.
    >>cs
    >>
    >>filner wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello there. I have a Win2k server which has a tape drive and BackupExac
    >>>

    > 8.6
    >
    >>>installed on that server. I have a seperate Win2k server that has Exchange
    >>>5.5 on it. The exchange server has been getting more and more disk errors
    >>>on it, thus the urgent need for a full backup to be done.
    >>>I have read stuff from microsoft but all their docs only deal with NT
    >>>

    > BAckup.
    >
    >>>Can someone please tell me how to do this full backup, or lead me on the
    >>>right path?? I am in desperate need of this info, and any help would be
    >>>

    > appreciated.
    >
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>>filner

+ Reply to Thread