Attempting a full Exchange restore - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Attempting a full Exchange restore - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have set up a new server in order to test the backup of our Exchange Server (5.5 SP4). We do a full online backup every night using BackupExec (8.0 Rev 3316). I have made sure that the new server ...

  1. Attempting a full Exchange restore

    I have set up a new server in order to test the backup of our Exchange
    Server (5.5 SP4). We do a full online backup every night using BackupExec
    (8.0 Rev 3316). I have made sure that the new server has been loaded
    properly (all domain accounts, same name etc..) and installed Exchange to
    the same patch level (including post SP4 fixes).

    The problem is, the DS and IS files get restored OK, but I cannot start the
    services. Running 'eseutil /g /ds' says that the database is inconsistent,
    and that there may be uncommited logs. Attempting to run 'eseutil /r /ds'
    fails with JET_errDatabaseInconsistent.

    I have been able to repair (eseutil /p) the DS, and subsequent eseutil /g
    and /r commands run without errors, but the service fails to start with
    system error 1067. The event log adds to this with 'Couldn't recover the
    restored database. Error c8000713'.

    I've searched through the Microsoft and Veritas KBs and only found two
    suggestions. Firstly, remove the existing DSAData files and restore into a
    blank directory, but this won't work with an online backup. Secondly,
    install Exchange using the 'setup /r' option, but another KB article says
    you shouldn't do this if you've got patches to apply.

    I first tried this yesterday with a full backup which had circular logging
    enabled, but I turned this off yesterday so the backup really should have
    everything in it.

    Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong ?

    Thanks,

    Neil Stephens,
    Foresite Systems.

  2. Re: Attempting a full Exchange restore

    There is a check box you have to clear on the exchange tab for the restore.
    I can't remember it off the top of my head. Check the Veritas Knowledge
    base for Disaster Recovery.
    "Neil Stephens" wrote in message
    > I have set up a new server in order to test the backup of our Exchange
    > Server (5.5 SP4). We do a full online backup every night using BackupExec
    > (8.0 Rev 3316). I have made sure that the new server has been loaded
    > properly (all domain accounts, same name etc..) and installed Exchange to
    > the same patch level (including post SP4 fixes).
    >
    > The problem is, the DS and IS files get restored OK, but I cannot start

    the
    > services. Running 'eseutil /g /ds' says that the database is inconsistent,
    > and that there may be uncommited logs. Attempting to run 'eseutil /r /ds'
    > fails with JET_errDatabaseInconsistent.
    >
    > I have been able to repair (eseutil /p) the DS, and subsequent eseutil /g
    > and /r commands run without errors, but the service fails to start with
    > system error 1067. The event log adds to this with 'Couldn't recover the
    > restored database. Error c8000713'.
    >
    > I've searched through the Microsoft and Veritas KBs and only found two
    > suggestions. Firstly, remove the existing DSAData files and restore into a
    > blank directory, but this won't work with an online backup. Secondly,
    > install Exchange using the 'setup /r' option, but another KB article says
    > you shouldn't do this if you've got patches to apply.
    >
    > I first tried this yesterday with a full backup which had circular logging
    > enabled, but I turned this off yesterday so the backup really should have
    > everything in it.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil Stephens,
    > Foresite Systems.

+ Reply to Thread