Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; I continually get a message of my drive being offline during scheduled backups. The exact message is an alert that says "Your drive hardware is offline" Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all correct ...

  1. Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive

    I continually get a message of my drive being offline during scheduled backups.
    The exact message is an alert that says "Your drive hardware is offline"
    Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all correct
    because this is not a tape drive, but a simple backup to tape folder on a
    firewire drive. The curious thing is that it always terminates the backup
    at 7 minutes in to it. I can run the backup no problem if I select run now
    from the scheduler, but when it runs based on the time I set, it fails (or
    cancels rather) at 7 minutes in to the backup. It did work successfully
    for several weeks, but now, it does not. I have tried a different firewire
    drive, I have even tried a different firewire card, reformatting the drive,
    all with the same result. It seems to me that the software is getting some
    indication that the drive is offline when in fact it isn't.

  2. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive

    I get exactly the same problem on two different servers with separate DDS4
    tape drives, even down to it failing at 7 minutes.

    "Craig Lindsay" wrote:

    >I continually get a message of my drive being offline during scheduled backups.
    > The exact message is an alert that says "Your drive hardware is offline"
    > Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all correct
    >because this is not a tape drive, but a simple backup to tape folder on

    >firewire drive. The curious thing is that it always terminates the backup
    >at 7 minutes in to it. I can run the backup no problem if I select run

    now
    >from the scheduler, but when it runs based on the time I set, it fails (or
    >cancels rather) at 7 minutes in to the backup. It did work successfully
    >for several weeks, but now, it does not. I have tried a different firewire
    >drive, I have even tried a different firewire card, reformatting the drive,
    >all with the same result. It seems to me that the software is getting some
    >indication that the drive is offline when in fact it isn't.

  3. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive - also with 8.5

    I too have the same problem. I am running BE 8.5 with Exchange Agent on a
    W2K SP2 Svr w/ Exchange 2K. The DLT1/VS80 drives are both ok; the backup
    intermittently fails at 13-15 mins with an error box stating "The drive hardware
    is offline!" even though it's been using the drive since the start of the
    job. Happened also when we just had a single DLT1.

    Drives are both on their own cables. Can inventory the drive before the
    job begins and after the failure. Here is a copy of our log. Somebody clue
    me in on what's going on? - Phil

    Job server: SERVER
    Job name: Differential Backup
    Job started: Thursday, February 07, 2002 at 9:00:11 PM
    Job type: Backup
    Log file: BEX03.txt

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Changer Name:
    Drive Name: Dell 110T DLT1
    Media Slot: 0
    Media Cartridge Label: DLT000005
    Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - overwrite.
    Software compression enabled.

    Media Name: "Backup 11/9/2001 09:00:27 AM Server: SERVER Job: Differential
    Backup"
    Backup of "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "TTP Differential Backup"
    Backup Type: DIFFERENTIAL - Changed Files
    Backup started on 2/7/2002 at 9:05:21 PM.
    The media operation was terminated by the user.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 2/7/2002 at 9:13:32 PM.
    Backed up 4421 mail message(s) in 235 folder(s) in 11 mailbox(es)
    Processed 425,441,775 bytes in 8 minutes and 11 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 49.6 MB/min
    Software compression ratio: 1.4:1

    Job ended: Thursday, February 07, 2002 at 9:15:21 PM
    Job completion status: Aborted by SERVER\SessionAbort

    "Toby Bates" wrote:

    >I get exactly the same problem on two different servers with separate DDS4
    >tape drives, even down to it failing at 7 minutes.
    >
    >"Craig Lindsay" wrote:
    >>
    >>I continually get a message of my drive being offline during scheduled

    backups.
    >> The exact message is an alert that says "Your drive hardware is offline"
    >> Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all correct
    >>because this is not a tape drive, but a simple backup to tape folder on

    >>firewire drive. The curious thing is that it always terminates the backup
    >>at 7 minutes in to it. I can run the backup no problem if I select run

    >now
    >>from the scheduler, but when it runs based on the time I set, it fails

    (or
    >>cancels rather) at 7 minutes in to the backup. It did work successfully
    >>for several weeks, but now, it does not. I have tried a different firewire
    >>drive, I have even tried a different firewire card, reformatting the drive,
    >>all with the same result. It seems to me that the software is getting

    some
    >>indication that the drive is offline when in fact it isn't.

  4. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive - also with 8.5

    "Philip Schlesinger" wrote:

> [...]

    >>> Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all

    correct
    >>>because this is not a tape drive, but a simple backup to tape folder on

    >>>firewire drive. The curious thing is that it always terminates the backup
    >>>at 7 minutes in to it. I can run the backup no problem if I select run

    >>now
    >>>from the scheduler, but when it runs based on the time I set, it fails

    >(or
    >>>cancels rather) at 7 minutes in to the backup. It did work successfully
    >>>for several weeks, but now, it does not. I have tried a different firewire
    >>>drive, I have even tried a different firewire card, reformatting the drive,
    >>>all with the same result. It seems to me that the software is getting

    >some
    >>>indication that the drive is offline when in fact it isn't.

    Yep I am getting the same thing! For me it is varied times into the job.
    This has happened a couple of times before but I have written it off as a
    fluke. Now that it has happened two nights in a row I am worried. I wish
    I had a Veritas support call.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  5. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive

    "Toby Bates" wrote:

    >I get exactly the same problem on two different servers with separate DDS4
    >tape drives, even down to it failing at 7 minutes.
    >
    >"Craig Lindsay" wrote:
    >>
    >>I continually get a message of my drive being offline during scheduled

    backups.
    >> The exact message is an alert that says "Your drive hardware is offline"
    >> Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all correct
    >>because this is not a tape drive, but a simple backup to tape folder on

    >>firewire drive. The curious thing is that it always terminates the backup
    >>at 7 minutes in to it. I can run the backup no problem if I select run

    >now
    >>from the scheduler, but when it runs based on the time I set, it fails

    (or
    >>cancels rather) at 7 minutes in to the backup. It did work successfully
    >>for several weeks, but now, it does not. I have tried a different firewire
    >>drive, I have even tried a different firewire card, reformatting the drive,
    >>all with the same result. It seems to me that the software is getting

    some
    >>indication that the drive is offline when in fact it isn't.

    I have the same problem. Scheduled backup was working fine for about 6 weeks,
    then it just started cancelling saying the hardware is offline 7 minutes
    into the scheduled backup. The sever is a Dell Poweredge 2500 and the tape
    drive is an internal Quantum.

    The backup works fine if I select run now from scheduler?!?!? Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

  6. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive

    experiencing the exact same problem on 6 Dell 2500 servers with internal quantum
    DLT 7000's running Veritas backupexec 8.6. I see lot's of post no resoulutions.

    "Julia Ray" wrote:

    >"Toby Bates" wrote:
    >>
    >>I get exactly the same problem on two different servers with separate DDS4
    >>tape drives, even down to it failing at 7 minutes.
    >>
    >>"Craig Lindsay" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I continually get a message of my drive being offline during scheduled

    >backups.
    >>> The exact message is an alert that says "Your drive hardware is offline"
    >>> Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all

    correct
    >>>because this is not a tape drive, but a simple backup to tape folder on

    >>>firewire drive. The curious thing is that it always terminates the backup
    >>>at 7 minutes in to it. I can run the backup no problem if I select run

    >>now
    >>>from the scheduler, but when it runs based on the time I set, it fails

    >(or
    >>>cancels rather) at 7 minutes in to the backup. It did work successfully
    >>>for several weeks, but now, it does not. I have tried a different firewire
    >>>drive, I have even tried a different firewire card, reformatting the drive,
    >>>all with the same result. It seems to me that the software is getting

    >some
    >>>indication that the drive is offline when in fact it isn't.

    >I have the same problem. Scheduled backup was working fine for about 6 weeks,
    >then it just started cancelling saying the hardware is offline 7 minutes
    >into the scheduled backup. The sever is a Dell Poweredge 2500 and the tape
    >drive is an internal Quantum.
    >
    >The backup works fine if I select run now from scheduler?!?!? Any suggestions?
    > Thank you.

  7. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive

    same here, fails a little before 7 minutes but only started when I enabled
    individual mailbox backups (Exchange2000). It ran fine for almost a year
    just backing up the private and public databases.

    Chris.

    "D.Meadows" wrote:

    >experiencing the exact same problem on 6 Dell 2500 servers with internal

    quantum
    >DLT 7000's running Veritas backupexec 8.6. I see lot's of post no resoulutions.
    >

    >"Julia Ray" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Toby Bates" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I get exactly the same problem on two different servers with separate

    DDS4
    >>>tape drives, even down to it failing at 7 minutes.

    >>backups.

    >correct

    on
    >>>now

    >>(or

    drive,

    >>some
    >>>

    >>I have the same problem. Scheduled backup was working fine for about 6

    weeks,
    >>then it just started cancelling saying the hardware is offline 7 minutes
    >>into the scheduled backup. The sever is a Dell Poweredge 2500 and the tape
    >>drive is an internal Quantum.
    >>
    >>The backup works fine if I select run now from scheduler?!?!? Any suggestions?
    >> Thank you.

  8. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive

    I started having the same problem yesterday (8/12).
    Afters months of running this product now this message pops.
    There was a recent reboot of the server and I'm tracking down
    any errors that may have occurred during the reboot.
    The server is running W2K / SP2.
    The tape unit is an Exabyte EZ17 (tape library with 7 slots).
    Veritas is at Version 8.60 Rev. 3808

    Below is what I did to resolve this issue:
    1) click on the devices tab.
    2) highlighted and right clicked the drive (not the library).
    3) selected properties
    (title should say - drive properties for blah blah)
    4) select configuration tab and click on
    'Enable device for Backup Exec' this should clear the box.
    5) click on apply
    6) click on 'Enable device for Backup Exec' should put a check
    mark in the box.
    7) click on apply.
    8) click on okay.
    9) schedule a test and see if the problem clears.

    I ran 4 scheduled tests appending to the media and it worked as
    designed (i know scary).
    I had done an earlier test where i also did the same above plus
    i also reset the robotic library and it failed. So I went back
    and I reset the drive only and it worked.

    Good Luck,
    Joe

    "Chris Russell" chrisr#dtsl.co.nz wrote:

    >same here, fails a little before 7 minutes but only started when I enabled
    >individual mailbox backups (Exchange2000). It ran fine for almost a year
    >just backing up the private and public databases.
    >
    >Chris.
    >
    >"D.Meadows" wrote:
    >>
    >>experiencing the exact same problem on 6 Dell 2500 servers with internal

    >quantum
    >>DLT 7000's running Veritas backupexec 8.6. I see lot's of post no resoulutions.

    >DDS4

    >>>backups.

    >>correct

    >on

    backup

    run
    >>>(or

    >drive,
    >>>some
    >>>>
    >>>I have the same problem. Scheduled backup was working fine for about 6

    >weeks,
    >>>then it just started cancelling saying the hardware is offline 7 minutes
    >>>into the scheduled backup. The sever is a Dell Poweredge 2500 and the

    tape
    >>>drive is an internal Quantum.
    >>>
    >>>The backup works fine if I select run now from scheduler?!?!? Any suggestions?
    >>> Thank you.

  9. Re: Backupexec 8.6 and Offline Drive

    I get exactly the same message for a few weeks now. I did an upgrade of our
    backup server from 8.6.i.do.not.remember.the.build to 8.6.3878, and then
    it started. i tried reinstalling the original BE 8.6 from cd, but it still
    does not change...
    Backing up to disk is done to an internal built-in ide spanned drive on 2
    harddisks of about 80GB, giving us 150GB storage for the backupsets. It all
    worked well, until I had to change something to the selections (because of
    a growth in documents and servers to be backed up) and I couldn't select
    anything anymore, because it wasn't visible (said something like 'couldn't
    connect to server' or so) I did an upgrade to the 3878 build, and it all
    ran good for a few days, and then I got the Drive hardware failure...

    I need this thing to get working again, and I'm without backups for about
    a few weeks now... which concerns me now!!!...
    If anybody can help me, let me know!!!

    Thanks guys!

    "Julia Ray" wrote:

    >"Toby Bates" wrote:
    >>
    >>I get exactly the same problem on two different servers with separate DDS4
    >>tape drives, even down to it failing at 7 minutes.
    >>
    >>"Craig Lindsay" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I continually get a message of my drive being offline during scheduled

    >backups.
    >>> The exact message is an alert that says "Your drive hardware is offline"
    >>> Pretty simple here, the drive is not offline, and the cables are all

    correct
    >>>because this is not a tape drive, but a simple backup to tape folder on

    >>>firewire drive. The curious thing is that it always terminates the backup
    >>>at 7 minutes in to it. I can run the backup no problem if I select run

    >>now
    >>>from the scheduler, but when it runs based on the time I set, it fails

    >(or
    >>>cancels rather) at 7 minutes in to the backup. It did work successfully
    >>>for several weeks, but now, it does not. I have tried a different firewire
    >>>drive, I have even tried a different firewire card, reformatting the drive,
    >>>all with the same result. It seems to me that the software is getting

    >some
    >>>indication that the drive is offline when in fact it isn't.

    >I have the same problem. Scheduled backup was working fine for about 6 weeks,
    >then it just started cancelling saying the hardware is offline 7 minutes
    >into the scheduled backup. The sever is a Dell Poweredge 2500 and the tape
    >drive is an internal Quantum.
    >
    >The backup works fine if I select run now from scheduler?!?!? Any suggestions?
    > Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread