Please help... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Please help... - Veritas Backup Exec ; I cannot get Backup Exec to attach to a couple of networked workstations. All workstations that have Win98 OS attach with ease, but recently we installed Windows 2000 Pro on 2 computers, but I can't get these 2 computers to ...

  1. Please help...

    I cannot get Backup Exec to attach to a couple of networked
    workstations. All workstations that have Win98 OS attach with ease, but
    recently we installed Windows 2000 Pro on 2 computers, but I can't
    get these 2 computers to attach to Backup Exec. We have Veritas v8.6 for
    Win2000 & NT. I have Remote Agent installed on the Domain Server and 2 W2K
    pro computers. Everytime a try to backup on the W2K pro machines, I get the
    error: "Unable to attach to \\\c$: Access is denied."

    Both users of the W2K pro computers have administrator rights. Can any
    please help me?

  2. Re: Please help...

    Is the backup exec service account a member of daomin admins? Are the 2 w2k
    pro machines member of the domain? Is the backup exec service account a
    member of the local admin group o the w2k pro machines? Is the domain admins
    group a member of the local admin group on the w2k pro machines? Try to
    change the following registry key:

    HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS, change the value "Restrict
    Anonymous Support" from decimal value 0 to decimal value 1. Recycle the
    services and try to attach again.

    Another thing to try is to rename the file bewinui.uni to .old and recycle
    the services, then set the default attach info to the 2 w2k machines.

    Mike

    "Sue Biedlingmaier" wrote in message
    > I cannot get Backup Exec to attach to a couple of networked
    > workstations. All workstations that have Win98 OS attach with ease, but
    > recently we installed Windows 2000 Pro on 2 computers, but I can't
    > get these 2 computers to attach to Backup Exec. We have Veritas v8.6 for
    > Win2000 & NT. I have Remote Agent installed on the Domain Server and 2 W2K
    > pro computers. Everytime a try to backup on the W2K pro machines, I get

    the
    > error: "Unable to attach to \\\c$: Access is denied."
    >
    > Both users of the W2K pro computers have administrator rights. Can any
    > please help me?

  3. Re: Please help...

    Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I know if the backup exec service
    account is a member of the domain admins? Where can I find information on
    "backup exec service account"? The w2k pro machines ARE a member of the
    domain. As far as everything else, I cannot answer. Windows 2000 is all new
    to me, so I am unfamiliar with a lot of these services.

    "mike" wrote in message news:3bd83e5c$1@hronntp01....
    > Is the backup exec service account a member of daomin admins? Are the 2

    w2k
    > pro machines member of the domain? Is the backup exec service account a
    > member of the local admin group o the w2k pro machines? Is the domain

    admins
    > group a member of the local admin group on the w2k pro machines? Try to
    > change the following registry key:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS, change the value "Restrict
    > Anonymous Support" from decimal value 0 to decimal value 1. Recycle the
    > services and try to attach again.
    >
    > Another thing to try is to rename the file bewinui.uni to .old and recycle
    > the services, then set the default attach info to the 2 w2k machines.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Sue Biedlingmaier" wrote in message
    > > I cannot get Backup Exec to attach to a couple of networked
    > > workstations. All workstations that have Win98 OS attach with ease, but
    > > recently we installed Windows 2000 Pro on 2 computers, but I can't
    > > get these 2 computers to attach to Backup Exec. We have Veritas v8.6 for
    > > Win2000 & NT. I have Remote Agent installed on the Domain Server and 2

    W2K
    > > pro computers. Everytime a try to backup on the W2K pro machines, I get

    > the
    > > error: "Unable to attach to \\\c$: Access is denied."
    > >
    > > Both users of the W2K pro computers have administrator rights. Can any
    > > please help me?

  4. Re: Please help...

    open the services applet and check startup properties. the account that the
    services run under will be displayed there.

    "Sue B." wrote:
    >Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I know if the backup exec service
    >account is a member of the domain admins? Where can I find information on
    >"backup exec service account"? The w2k pro machines ARE a member of the
    >domain. As far as everything else, I cannot answer. Windows 2000 is all

    new
    >to me, so I am unfamiliar with a lot of these services.
    >

    >"mike" wrote in message news:3bd83e5c$1@hronntp01....
    >> Is the backup exec service account a member of daomin admins? Are the

    2
    >w2k
    >> pro machines member of the domain? Is the backup exec service account

    >> member of the local admin group o the w2k pro machines? Is the domain

    >admins
    >> group a member of the local admin group on the w2k pro machines? Try to
    >> change the following registry key:
    >>
    >> HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS, change the value "Restrict
    >> Anonymous Support" from decimal value 0 to decimal value 1. Recycle the
    >> services and try to attach again.
    >>
    >> Another thing to try is to rename the file bewinui.uni to .old and recycle
    >> the services, then set the default attach info to the 2 w2k machines.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> "Sue Biedlingmaier" wrote in message
    >> > I cannot get Backup Exec to attach to a couple of networked
    >> > workstations. All workstations that have Win98 OS attach with ease,

    but
    >> > recently we installed Windows 2000 Pro on 2 computers, but I can't
    >> > get these 2 computers to attach to Backup Exec. We have Veritas v8.6

    for
    >> > Win2000 & NT. I have Remote Agent installed on the Domain Server and

    2
    >W2K
    >> > pro computers. Everytime a try to backup on the W2K pro machines, I

    get
    >> the
    >> > error: "Unable to attach to \\\c$: Access is denied."
    >> >
    >> > Both users of the W2K pro computers have administrator rights. Can any
    >> > please help me?

+ Reply to Thread