How to make the backup append to a specific tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How to make the backup append to a specific tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have created 2 backup jobs at a customer site. One job that runs on monday configured to overwrite the tape and another job that runs tuesday - friday and configured to append to the tape. The jobs are ...

  1. How to make the backup append to a specific tape

    Hi,

    I have created 2 backup jobs at a customer site. One job that runs on monday
    configured to overwrite the tape and another job that runs tuesday - friday
    and configured to append to the tape. The jobs are configured to take the
    tape/tapes from a pool. We have 2 tapes in the pool but all the jobs should
    be able to store all data on one tape.

    Situation is that backup on monday stores all data on tape 1 and the
    tuesday - friday backup then appends all data to tape 2.

    Is it possible to make the tuesday - friday jobs append to tape1 and only
    use tape2 if the space on tape1 runs out??

    Leif

  2. Re: How to make the backup append to a specific tape

    Verify the Media Overwrite options and Media Set properties.

    "Leif Pedersen" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have created 2 backup jobs at a customer site. One job that runs on monday
    >configured to overwrite the tape and another job that runs tuesday - friday
    >and configured to append to the tape. The jobs are configured to take the
    >tape/tapes from a pool. We have 2 tapes in the pool but all the jobs should
    >be able to store all data on one tape.
    >
    >Situation is that backup on monday stores all data on tape 1 and the
    >tuesday - friday backup then appends all data to tape 2.
    >
    >Is it possible to make the tuesday - friday jobs append to tape1 and only
    >use tape2 if the space on tape1 runs out??
    >
    >Leif

  3. Re: How to make the backup append to a specific tape

    "Leif Pedersen" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have created 2 backup jobs at a customer site. One job that runs on monday
    >configured to overwrite the tape and another job that runs tuesday - friday
    >and configured to append to the tape. The jobs are configured to take the
    >tape/tapes from a pool. We have 2 tapes in the pool but all the jobs should
    >be able to store all data on one tape.
    >
    >Situation is that backup on monday stores all data on tape 1 and the
    >tuesday - friday backup then appends all data to tape 2.
    >
    >Is it possible to make the tuesday - friday jobs append to tape1 and only
    >use tape2 if the space on tape1 runs out??
    >
    >Leif

  4. Re: How to make the backup append to a specific tape

    make sure that the two jobs point to the same media set, and it should work
    ok.

    "Leif Pedersen" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have created 2 backup jobs at a customer site. One job that runs on monday
    >configured to overwrite the tape and another job that runs tuesday - friday
    >and configured to append to the tape. The jobs are configured to take the
    >tape/tapes from a pool. We have 2 tapes in the pool but all the jobs should
    >be able to store all data on one tape.
    >
    >Situation is that backup on monday stores all data on tape 1 and the
    >tuesday - friday backup then appends all data to tape 2.
    >
    >Is it possible to make the tuesday - friday jobs append to tape1 and only
    >use tape2 if the space on tape1 runs out??
    >
    >Leif

+ Reply to Thread