It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas! - Veritas Backup Exec ; AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Steve Vosel" wrote: >I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this >newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known >bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is ...

  1. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    "Steve Vosel" wrote:
    >I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    >newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known
    >bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the software
    >is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years &

    >understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't work
    >reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better product.
    >I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    >else agree?
    >
    >Steve Vosel
    >Pc Whip, Inc.
    >steve@pcwhip.com

  2. It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known
    bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the software
    is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years & I
    understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't work
    reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better product.
    I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    else agree?

    Steve Vosel
    Pc Whip, Inc.
    steve@pcwhip.com

  3. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    I don`t know... I have used Backup Exec for a while and we have a large
    implementation with a SAN and 3 cluster servers connected to the SAN. We are
    also backing up 16 Exchange 2000 servers and 5 SQL 2000 servers and 2 Oracle
    8i Enterprise servers. We also have a couple of Lotus 5.07 servers that we
    back up. I must say that following the documentation supplied with the
    product and using some of the excellent documents in the knowledgebase, the
    product works flawlessly! I understand that following the instructions is
    not very easy for everyone, but come on guys, make an effort of reading the
    manuals/technotes as opposed to just whining in the newsgroup! I have called
    Veritas support 3 times and in 2 cases I got help straight away(1st time
    fix/solution). In one case it was a little bit more complex but the call got
    escalated to their 2nd line and was soon solved by excellent support from
    them. I am thinking about implementing NSE (Network Storage Executive) that
    I`ve heard much good about.

    Mike

    "Steve Vosel" wrote in message
    > I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    > newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known
    > bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the software
    > is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years & I
    > understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't

    work
    > reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better

    product.
    > I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    > else agree?
    >
    > Steve Vosel
    > Pc Whip, Inc.
    > steve@pcwhip.com

  4. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    YOU, my friend are very very blessed! Of course, you immediately assumed
    that the person who wrote this post never did his homework(read manuals,
    technotes, call support, etc...) but let me assure you - I have spent weeks
    poring through EVERY resource available for this product and I can assure
    you that it is UN-RELIABLE. I guess you think that 40,000 posts in this
    newsgroup should be normal, after all all software has it's bugs right? If
    you are having success with this product then I'm very happy for you, but
    don't assume everyone here posting their problems are idiots who haven't
    read the documentation.

    - SV

    "mike" wrote in message news:3bd6cc62$1@hronntp01....
    > I don`t know... I have used Backup Exec for a while and we have a large
    > implementation with a SAN and 3 cluster servers connected to the SAN. We

    are
    > also backing up 16 Exchange 2000 servers and 5 SQL 2000 servers and 2

    Oracle
    > 8i Enterprise servers. We also have a couple of Lotus 5.07 servers that we
    > back up. I must say that following the documentation supplied with the
    > product and using some of the excellent documents in the knowledgebase,

    the
    > product works flawlessly! I understand that following the instructions is
    > not very easy for everyone, but come on guys, make an effort of reading

    the
    > manuals/technotes as opposed to just whining in the newsgroup! I have

    called
    > Veritas support 3 times and in 2 cases I got help straight away(1st time
    > fix/solution). In one case it was a little bit more complex but the call

    got
    > escalated to their 2nd line and was soon solved by excellent support from
    > them. I am thinking about implementing NSE (Network Storage Executive)

    that
    > I`ve heard much good about.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Steve Vosel" wrote in message
    > > I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    > > newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE.

    Known
    > > bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the

    software
    > > is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years &

    > > understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't

    > work
    > > reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better

    > product.
    > > I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    > > else agree?
    > >
    > > Steve Vosel
    > > Pc Whip, Inc.
    > > steve@pcwhip.com

  5. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    perhaps not everyone, but how may of my responses consist solely of references
    to the Veritas Knowledge Base?

    And how may times does the same problem/question come up here in the forum.
    Sometimes over and over and over and ...

    You appear to be one of the unlucky ones, but just because the people who
    don't experience any problems don't post here with "This is such a great
    product", don't assume that there are more sites with problems than without.

    I've been using BENT since the mid v6.11 days, Use SQL and Exchange and For
    a while, the Oracle Agent, and agree with the first respondant. All but
    two of my problems have been resolved with a little research, and when I
    did contact Tech Support, I got knowledgeable techs and a quick resolution.

    &
    >> > understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't

    >> work
    >> > reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better

    >> product.
    >> > I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    >> > else agree?
    >> >
    >> > Steve Vosel
    >> > Pc Whip, Inc.
    >> > steve@pcwhip.com

  6. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    I agree with that..

    no phone support.
    non-existant email support..
    a limited knowledge base
    and a newsgroup with probably only ken putnam as the person who can answer
    queries with any success.

    ps.. anyone else have problems with bent8.5 crashing exchange 2000 on a very
    regular basis
    > I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    > newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known
    > bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the software
    > is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years & I
    > understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't

    work
    > reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better

    product.
    > I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    > else agree?
    >
    > Steve Vosel
    > Pc Whip, Inc.
    > steve@pcwhip.com

  7. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    I moved away from Arcserve to BENT, now running 8.6 and have not had any
    problems that couldn't be immediately resolved. I've had a great experience
    with the product, in this first year of using it I purchased the support
    option so I could all if things didn't work out but to date I have not had
    to use it.

  8. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    Mr Vosel... I don`t assume anything! Certainly not that everyone here are
    idiots... Of course every software do have bugs, no one can deny that. ? You
    don`t have to assure me anything, especially not that the product is
    unreliable cos I believe you`re wrong. I do know that the product do have
    bugs, as any other backupsoftware do and as well as any software, no matter
    what the purpose of the software is. If you posted questions as opposed to
    whining maybe someone out there could help you. I don`t know how many posts
    there are in this newsgroup, I also don`t know how many users of the
    software that post questions and answers to questions here. For the last 2
    days I have posted 3 answers to problems and I know that 2 "cases" have been
    solved with my help. A newsgroup is exactly for this purpose, posting
    questions and answers. Why don`t you contact Veritas themselves if you feel
    the product is that bad. I do also believe that if you look through the
    posts you`ll find that the same question comes back a lot of times.
    Furthermore, loads of questions/problems are answered and solved

    Please, tell me/us what kind of issues do you experience that makes you say
    that the product is UN-RELIABLE? Maybe we can help you....

> [...]

    > that
    > > I`ve heard much good about.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > > "Steve Vosel" wrote in message
    > > > I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    > > > newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE.

    > Known
    > > > bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the

    > software
    > > > is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years

    &
    > > > understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't

    > > work
    > > > reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better

    > > product.
    > > > I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up.

  9. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    Mike,

    As I stated previously I have tried EVERY resource available. That means
    that I HAVE posted questions here (including bakup logs), I HAVE spoken with
    Veritas tech support, I HAVE read the documentation, I HAVE read the tech
    notes.....and I HAVE NOT been able to get this product (BE 8.6) to work
    reliably. Yes, I AM frustrated. I too have used previous versions of this
    software (BE 7.3 for example) with pretty good results. But 8.6 at least to
    me, has been a complete and total nightmare. Maybe you aren't using this
    version I don't know. I have used newsgroups before to resolve all kinds of
    problems - I am not against them at all - I feel they are a great resource
    for problem solving. However, the fact that this NG has so many posts and
    that so many are similar pretty much makes my point for me - If the same
    problems keep appearing again and again, what do you think that says about
    the product?

    As for the specifics of my troubles, I'm trying to get BE 8.6 to work
    (Reliably) with SBS 2000. I've tried 10 different controllers, 3 different
    servers, different brands of tapes, different tape drives, updated
    controller drivers, tape drivers, firmware, etc..etc..I could go ON &
    ON....but I'll spare you the gory details. Do I really want to start a
    lawsuit? Of course not - I just want something that works. My complaint is
    not with Veritas tech support personnel either - they have been helpful to
    me in the past. BUT, I don't think that Veritas is doing everything they can
    to simulate problems in the realworld or else they would have cleared up
    MANY of these 'repeat' problems by now. AND, in several of the tech notes
    there are references like 'Veritas is aware of the issue but has no plans to
    fix it in the near future'. What is that??? Am I being to harsh to ask that
    KNOWN issues be addressed?

    Well, I am sorry if I offended you with my earlier post, that was not my
    intention. It's good to hear that some folks out there are experiencing
    success with this product. Maybe one day I shall be so lucky.

    - SV

    "mike" wrote in message news:3bd6dc65@hronntp01....
> [...]

    knowledgebase,
    > > the
    > > > product works flawlessly! I understand that following the instructions

    > is
    > > > not very easy for everyone, but come on guys, make an effort of

    reading
    > > the
    > > > manuals/technotes as opposed to just whining in the newsgroup! I have

    > > called
    > > > Veritas support 3 times and in 2 cases I got help straight away(1st

    time
    > > > fix/solution). In one case it was a little bit more complex but the

    call
    > > got
    > > > escalated to their 2nd line and was soon solved by excellent support

    > from
    > > > them. I am thinking about implementing NSE (Network Storage Executive)

  10. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    Steve,
    No offence taken at all. Yes, I use 8.6 and it works fine for me. If the
    same problem keeps appearing again and again, that could mean 2 things,
    either the product isn`t that good or the user isn`t that good. As an
    example I can say that I`ve seen posts here where the services fails to
    start, after installation or later on. Errors like "1068, dependency group
    failed to start" and "1065 database does not exist" when starting services
    for Backup Exec. These errors, when on NT 4 are in most cases solved by
    updating the MDAC components on the server. How many people do know that
    Backup Exec uses a database called pvl.mdb to keep info about hardware and
    media sets? And how many know what MDAC is? If you don`t know that then
    there will be loads of questions posted regarding the above mentioned
    issues. That`s one example, there are more but I`m happy with that. And
    hopefully you`ll be as lucky as me one day!

    Thanks,

> [...]

    > > "Steve Vosel" wrote in message
    > > > YOU, my friend are very very blessed! Of course, you immediately

    assumed
    > > > that the person who wrote this post never did his homework(read

    manuals,
    > > > technotes, call support, etc...) but let me assure you - I have spent

    > > weeks
    > > > poring through EVERY resource available for this product and I can

    > assure
    > > > you that it is UN-RELIABLE. I guess you think that 40,000 posts in

    this
    > > > newsgroup should be normal, after all all software has it's bugs

    right?
    > If
    > > > you are having success with this product then I'm very happy for you,

    > but
    > > > don't assume everyone here posting their problems are idiots who

  11. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    Wow. I guess that I'm lucky. I had a lot of problems with BENT 8.5, but
    I think most of the problems were me, not the software. Anyway, after upgrading
    to 8.6, my problems went away. Now, I can't say whether the software got
    better, or that I figured out how it works (at least well enough for my purposes).

    Bottom line is, BENT v8.6 is alright in my book...

    Teddy Anderson
    CIO
    Autogas Systems, Inc.

    "Steve Vosel" wrote:
    >I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    >newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known
    >bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the software
    >is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years &

    >understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't work
    >reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better product.
    >I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    >else agree?
    >
    >Steve Vosel
    >Pc Whip, Inc.
    >steve@pcwhip.com

  12. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    Steve,

    I too have had my problems with BENT v8.0 and v8.5 (specifically -- CRC
    errors). But, I must admit -- if you think Veritas products and Veritas
    support is bad, try ARCSERVE!!! As frustrated as you are with Veritas,
    BELEIVE ME, ArcServe is MUCH WORSE -- BELEIVE ME!!!!

    TR
    > I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    > newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known
    > bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the software
    > is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years & I
    > understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't

    work
    > reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better

    product.
    > I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    > else agree?
    >
    > Steve Vosel
    > Pc Whip, Inc.
    > steve@pcwhip.com

  13. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    version 7 worked....

    but alas...now i got win2k

    oh well what can u do..
    > I've had enough I don't know about the rest of you. Just look at this
    > newsgroup. Thousands of posts. Thousands. Failed backups EVERYWHERE. Known
    > bugs that Veritas has no plans to fix. The real truth is that the software
    > is flakey - period. I've wrestled with alot of software over the years & I
    > understand the problems that can occur, but this software just doesn't

    work
    > reliably. It's about time we all got together and demanded a better

    product.
    > I think what Veritas needs is a nice fat lawsuit to wake them up. Anyone
    > else agree?
    >
    > Steve Vosel
    > Pc Whip, Inc.
    > steve@pcwhip.com

  14. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    I to have used Arcserve in the past as well as other lesser know backup
    product and have found that the BE software is great. Ease of use and the
    flexiblity of what and how to backup. The support web site is awesome and
    have found a solution on it or from Ken Putnam (a guru) for every thing I
    have encountered or wanted to do. My backup tape device on the other
    hand..........

    "David Kalwishky" wrote in message
    > I moved away from Arcserve to BENT, now running 8.6 and have not had any
    > problems that couldn't be immediately resolved. I've had a great

    experience
    > with the product, in this first year of using it I purchased the support
    > option so I could all if things didn't work out but to date I have not had
    > to use it.

  15. Re: It's time for a class action lawsuit against Veritas!

    I have used Backup Exec 7.3 and 8.5 at both my current and previous jobs.
    The software has had a few minor problems, for which Vertias had made
    patches readily available, but for the most part, the problems were caused
    by hardware or my own configuration mistakes.

    In my experience, Backup Exec is quite reliable and does a very good job
    making reliable backups. I've seen some software that is definitely worth
    such scathing remarks, but Backup Exec hasn't been one of those.