Execute batch file before/after backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Execute batch file before/after backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Platform: Backup Exec 8.0 on a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a server. Process: Execute Before Backup I have two batch files located in "C:\scripts". One batch file starts services and the second stops services on a remote computer. This is accomplished ...

  1. Execute batch file before/after backup

    Platform: Backup Exec 8.0 on a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a server.
    Process: Execute Before Backup

    I have two batch files located in "C:\scripts". One batch file starts services
    and the second stops services on a remote computer. This is accomplished
    by using the "rclient" (remote console) utility included with Windows NT
    Server Resource Kit. To simplify discussion, only one batch file will be
    discussed. The batch file in "C:\scripts" is on the server running Backup
    Exec and contains the following text.

    rclient \\server_app /r e:\sv\sendero\scripts\bestop.bat

    In Backup Exec 8.0, on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties, "c:\scripts\stopsrv.bat"
    (omnitting quotes) is entered in the "Execute Before Backup". When the backup
    job begins, this file is not executed and the backup begins immediately.
    However, when executed manually from a command prompt, the stopsrv.bat file
    successfully stops services on the remote computer.

    In the troubleshooting process, I created a batch file test.bat, which contains
    the following text. It is on the server running Backup Exec in the root
    of C:.

    copy c:\dir.txt c:\direct.txt

    However, this same results are experienced with the test.bat file. It copies
    the file when run manually from a command prompt. However, it does not execute
    prior to the backup when entered in "Execute Before Backup" as "C:\test.bat"
    (omitting quotes) on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties.

    Any suggestions are welcome.

  2. Re: Execute batch file before/after backup

    Usually this is solved by entering the absolute path to the BAT/CMD file, but you are already
    doing this.

    Does the cmd file execute properly if you logon to the BENT server as the BENT service account?,
    are there any errors/comments in the job log?

    John wrote:

    > Platform: Backup Exec 8.0 on a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a server.
    > Process: Execute Before Backup
    >
    > I have two batch files located in "C:\scripts". One batch file starts services
    > and the second stops services on a remote computer. This is accomplished
    > by using the "rclient" (remote console) utility included with Windows NT
    > Server Resource Kit. To simplify discussion, only one batch file will be
    > discussed. The batch file in "C:\scripts" is on the server running Backup
    > Exec and contains the following text.
    >
    > rclient \\server_app /r e:\sv\sendero\scripts\bestop.bat
    >
    > In Backup Exec 8.0, on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties, "c:\scripts\stopsrv.bat"
    > (omnitting quotes) is entered in the "Execute Before Backup". When the backup
    > job begins, this file is not executed and the backup begins immediately.
    > However, when executed manually from a command prompt, the stopsrv.bat file
    > successfully stops services on the remote computer.
    >
    > In the troubleshooting process, I created a batch file test.bat, which contains
    > the following text. It is on the server running Backup Exec in the root
    > of C:.
    >
    > copy c:\dir.txt c:\direct.txt
    >
    > However, this same results are experienced with the test.bat file. It copies
    > the file when run manually from a command prompt. However, it does not execute
    > prior to the backup when entered in "Execute Before Backup" as "C:\test.bat"
    > (omitting quotes) on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome.

  3. Re: Execute batch file before/after backup

    fully qualified. Same problem. However, looking at the previous writers
    patch, I note that it says service patch 6a - which is a novell patch. Like
    him I have a Novell server, using nt workstation.

    Like him, it works fine when running from a run statement.
    I am currently checking to see if anything will run if executed this way
    - however bat files will not. I suspect this is an XP shell problem.

    chris

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Usually this is solved by entering the absolute path to the BAT/CMD file,

    but you are
    >already
    >doing this.
    >
    >Does the cmd file execute properly if you logon to the BENT server as the

    BENT service
    >account?,
    >are there any errors/comments in the job log?
    >
    >John wrote:
    >
    >> Platform: Backup Exec 8.0 on a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a server.
    >> Process: Execute Before Backup
    >>
    >> I have two batch files located in "C:\scripts". One batch file starts

    services
    >> and the second stops services on a remote computer. This is accomplished
    >> by using the "rclient" (remote console) utility included with Windows

    NT
    >> Server Resource Kit. To simplify discussion, only one batch file will

    be
    >> discussed. The batch file in "C:\scripts" is on the server running Backup
    >> Exec and contains the following text.
    >>
    >> rclient \\server_app /r e:\sv\sendero\scripts\bestop.bat
    >>
    >> In Backup Exec 8.0, on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties,

    "c:\scripts\stopsrv.bat"
    >> (omnitting quotes) is entered in the "Execute Before Backup". When the

    backup
    >> job begins, this file is not executed and the backup begins immediately.
    >> However, when executed manually from a command prompt, the stopsrv.bat

    file
    >> successfully stops services on the remote computer.
    >>
    >> In the troubleshooting process, I created a batch file test.bat, which

    contains
    >> the following text. It is on the server running Backup Exec in the root
    >> of C:.
    >>
    >> copy c:\dir.txt c:\direct.txt
    >>
    >> However, this same results are experienced with the test.bat file. It

    copies
    >> the file when run manually from a command prompt. However, it does not

    execute
    >> prior to the backup when entered in "Execute Before Backup" as "C:\test.bat"
    >> (omitting quotes) on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions are welcome.

  4. Re: Execute batch file before/after backup

    "chrispedersen" wrote:

    >fully qualified. Same problem. However, looking at the previous writers
    >patch, I note that it says service patch 6a - which is a novell patch.

    Like
    >him I have a Novell server, using nt workstation.
    >
    >Like him, it works fine when running from a run statement.
    >I am currently checking to see if anything will run if executed this way
    >- however bat files will not. I suspect this is an XP shell problem.
    >
    >chris
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>Usually this is solved by entering the absolute path to the BAT/CMD file,

    >but you are
    >>already
    >>doing this.
    >>
    >>Does the cmd file execute properly if you logon to the BENT server as the

    >BENT service
    >>account?,
    >>are there any errors/comments in the job log?
    >>
    >>John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Platform: Backup Exec 8.0 on a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a server.
    >>> Process: Execute Before Backup
    >>>
    >>> I have two batch files located in "C:\scripts". One batch file starts

    >services
    >>> and the second stops services on a remote computer. This is accomplished
    >>> by using the "rclient" (remote console) utility included with Windows

    >NT
    >>> Server Resource Kit. To simplify discussion, only one batch file will

    >be
    >>> discussed. The batch file in "C:\scripts" is on the server running Backup
    >>> Exec and contains the following text.
    >>>
    >>> rclient \\server_app /r e:\sv\sendero\scripts\bestop.bat
    >>>
    >>> In Backup Exec 8.0, on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties,

    >"c:\scripts\stopsrv.bat"
    >>> (omnitting quotes) is entered in the "Execute Before Backup". When the

    >backup
    >>> job begins, this file is not executed and the backup begins immediately.
    >>> However, when executed manually from a command prompt, the stopsrv.bat

    >file
    >>> successfully stops services on the remote computer.
    >>>
    >>> In the troubleshooting process, I created a batch file test.bat, which

    >contains
    >>> the following text. It is on the server running Backup Exec in the root
    >>> of C:.
    >>>
    >>> copy c:\dir.txt c:\direct.txt
    >>>
    >>> However, this same results are experienced with the test.bat file. It

    >copies
    >>> the file when run manually from a command prompt. However, it does not

    >execute
    >>> prior to the backup when entered in "Execute Before Backup" as "C:\test.bat"
    >>> (omitting quotes) on the Advanced tab of the Backup Job Properties.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions are welcome.

    Any resolution to this problem? I've have a fully qualified path to a script
    and it too runs from a command window but doesn't seem to run from BE. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread