IDR - DO I need OFO to use? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IDR - DO I need OFO to use? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, If I wish to use IDR, do I also need OFO? TIA Paddy...

  1. IDR - DO I need OFO to use?

    Hi,
    If I wish to use IDR, do I also need OFO?

    TIA

    Paddy

  2. Re: IDR - DO I need OFO to use?

    NO

    They are totally different Options

    Paddy wrote:

    > Hi,
    > If I wish to use IDR, do I also need OFO?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paddy

  3. Re: IDR - DO I need OFO to use?

    Hi,

    You don't need OFO to use IDR (they're not the same thing) ... however you
    may well find that without OFO you won't be able to back up all files on
    your machine(s) [i.e. if they're in use while the backup is running - a very
    common problem]. Then, of course, if you need to restore a machine from a
    disaster using IDR (or even manual disaster recovery) since you don't have a
    backup of absolutely every file from your original machine you may run the
    risk of problems after you attempt to restore.

    In short, you don't need OFO to be able to run IDR but it makes a lot of
    sense to have both. In my opinion, OFO is more important: if you have OFO
    then your backups should be complete and so you can restore from a disaster
    manually (i.e. without IDR, although it's a lot more work). If you don't
    have complete backups in the first place because you're not running OFO ...

    I hope this helps.

    BR - PC.

    "Paddy" wrote in message news:3bcff013@hronntp01....
    > Hi,
    > If I wish to use IDR, do I also need OFO?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paddy

  4. Re: IDR - DO I need OFO to use?

    Thanks for that Paul.

    The reason for the original post was to find out if its possible to restore
    a server if files were skipped due to them being in use.
    To be more specific. It is a NT server configured as a member. This hosts a
    SQL server 7 database. IIS 4 is also present. Currently the machine has BENT
    8.5 and the SQL option installed. There are two issues with the backup
    method. The first is the machine should be up and running ASAP after total
    failure. The second is cost.
    So my question remains. With only IDR is it possible to restore the above
    system? If this is not possible then I agree with your opinion and will
    purchase the open file option.

    Thanks again

    Paddy

    Paul Crouch wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > You don't need OFO to use IDR (they're not the same thing) ... however you
    > may well find that without OFO you won't be able to back up all files on
    > your machine(s) [i.e. if they're in use while the backup is running - a

    very
    > common problem]. Then, of course, if you need to restore a machine from

    > disaster using IDR (or even manual disaster recovery) since you don't have

    > backup of absolutely every file from your original machine you may run the
    > risk of problems after you attempt to restore.
    >
    > In short, you don't need OFO to be able to run IDR but it makes a lot of
    > sense to have both. In my opinion, OFO is more important: if you have

    OFO
    > then your backups should be complete and so you can restore from a

    disaster
    > manually (i.e. without IDR, although it's a lot more work). If you don't
    > have complete backups in the first place because you're not running OFO

    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > BR - PC.
    >
    > "Paddy" wrote in message news:3bcff013@hronntp01....
    > > Hi,
    > > If I wish to use IDR, do I also need OFO?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Paddy

  5. Re: IDR - DO I need OFO to use?

    I REALLY would not rely on a OFO backup of SQL - or any other database system.

    In your case, you need (and have) the SQL module. Do a full flat file backup
    and a full SQL backup nightly.

    For the restores - let IDR restore the base system, then run a SQL restore.

+ Reply to Thread