How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does anybody know how to easily clear the overwrite protection/expiration date on a tape? I am moving tapes between mediasets, but moving tapes to scratch and back to a mediaset does not clear (unfortunally) the overwrite protection/expire date. Worse still, ...

  1. How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection.

    Does anybody know how to easily clear the overwrite protection/expiration
    date on a tape? I am moving tapes between mediasets, but moving tapes to
    scratch and back to a mediaset does not clear (unfortunally) the overwrite
    protection/expire date. Worse still, using a quick erase, updates the date!
    I am not planned to manipulate the pvl.mdb.

  2. Re: How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection.

    create a new media set and redifine the over write protection the way you
    want.
    1.open backupexec-->click tools-->options-->media overwrite and select the
    option you prefered.
    2.in backupexec window, click media tab-->select newly created media set-->right
    click-->select properties--> set overwrite protection period here.
    I hope this will be helpful.

    "Herman Oving" wrote:

    >Does anybody know how to easily clear the overwrite protection/expiration
    >date on a tape? I am moving tapes between mediasets, but moving tapes to
    >scratch and back to a mediaset does not clear (unfortunally) the overwrite
    >protection/expire date. Worse still, using a quick erase, updates the date!
    >I am not planned to manipulate the pvl.mdb.

  3. Re: How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection.

    Dear Herman,

    I suppose everybody using BackupExec is running into the same traps at the
    beginning,so did I some time ago.

    Veritas has a very non-intuitiv concept for media, you can read about
    everything in this ADAMM papers if you prefer to go mad.

    - Leave your new media in the temporary media set after labeling it properly.
    - Your backupjobs have a destination media set and all media is transfered
    after use to that media set with the protection level you defined before.
    - After that you still have the option to change the symbolic name of the tape.

    My media sets are DIFF, UNIX-DAILY, FULL, FULL_END_OF_MONTH.
    My Tapes are DIFF-A,DIFF-B,DIFF-C,.... for everyday backup
    FULL-A-I,FULL-B-I,FULL-C-I,... for end of week backup

    FULL-A-II,FULL-B-II,.....
    FULL-A-III,...
    FULL-A-IV,...

    FULL-A-08_2001, FULL-B-08,2001,... for end of month
    backup, never used again (unlimited recovery horizon)

    Have fun,

    Georg Schmitz
    gs@kisters.de

  4. Re: How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection.

[...]

  5. Re: How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection.

[...]

  6. Re: How to clear overwrite protection? reset overwrite protection.

    After many failed backups and much time researching this archive for the laim
    descriptions of overwrite protection (and why would you want to infinatetly
    overwrite protect a daily backup tape anyways?) -- I discovered a trick to
    make it work. Right click on the User Media Set you're trying to utilize,
    change the overwrite protection periods to 0 (zero) hours.

    After reading through all the tech help on this site, and trying everything
    else, I tried this on a whim -- and it works fine now. Kind of ludicrous
    to think you have to "trick" it into writing to a tape isn't it?

    "Herman Oving" wrote:

    >Does anybody know how to easily clear the overwrite protection/expiration
    >date on a tape? I am moving tapes between mediasets, but moving tapes to
    >scratch and back to a mediaset does not clear (unfortunally) the overwrite
    >protection/expire date. Worse still, using a quick erase, updates the date!
    >I am not planned to manipulate the pvl.mdb.

+ Reply to Thread