Error - Mount Failed: User aborted a Physical Volume Library Operation - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Error - Mount Failed: User aborted a Physical Volume Library Operation - Veritas Backup Exec ; I know this has come up a lot in the past, and I apologize if I missed an obvious answer in previous posts. We've gotten around it for now by performing a 'long erase' on all tapes right before the ...

  1. Error - Mount Failed: User aborted a Physical Volume Library Operation

    I know this has come up a lot in the past, and I apologize if I missed an
    obvious answer in previous posts. We've gotten around it for now by performing
    a 'long erase' on all tapes right before the backup job is run. After that
    everything is happy and verifiably correct on the tape. This only occurs
    on one server in our environment, there are 10 others that don't have this
    problem.

    All are Compaq servers with Quantum DLT7000 35/70 drives with BENT v8.5:3571.
    Backup jobs are set to overwrite and don't eject media after completion.
    The problem originally occurred when we tried to backup to a tape holding
    a backup done by an eval copy of BENT v8.5. We've tried new tapes, tapes
    from other servers that don't have the problem, etc. All will fail to mount
    unless a 'long erase' is performed.

    There was a brief mention in one post about the media database possibly being
    corrupt. Anyone have more information on that?

    Any other suggestions?

    Any and all comments and suggestions are more than welcome.
    Thanks in advance!

    Andy Adrian
    Consultant
    Quilogy, Inc.

  2. Re: Error - Mount Failed: User aborted a Physical Volume Library Operation

    Hi Andy,

    I'm using BEWNT 8 rev 3311, and get the same error message as you. I have
    yet to solve my problem yet. You mentioned a long erase. However, for some
    reason, only quick erase is usable for me. How can I make it a long erase
    instead? The guys at Seagate (my drive manufacturer) said the following:

    To correct problems when trying to overwrite a tape in Backup Exec for
    Windows NT:

    1. Select the Media tab
    2. On the left, select the Media Set
    3. On the right-hand side of the screen, locate the media you would like
    to overwrite. Drag and drop the media onto Scratch Media (Reusable Media
    in versions 7.0 and previous), located on the left-hand side of the
    screen.
    4. Select the Media Set again. The media name on the right-hand side of the
    screen should appear in blue. This indicates the media can be overwritten.

    So far, the procedure above hasn't worked for me and I'm still in correspondence
    with both Seagate and Veritas email support. Hopefully between the two of
    them, a solution will come forth.

    "Andy Adrian" wrote:

    >I know this has come up a lot in the past, and I apologize if I missed an
    >obvious answer in previous posts. We've gotten around it for now by performing
    >a 'long erase' on all tapes right before the backup job is run. After that
    >everything is happy and verifiably correct on the tape. This only occurs
    >on one server in our environment, there are 10 others that don't have this
    >problem.
    >
    >All are Compaq servers with Quantum DLT7000 35/70 drives with BENT v8.5:3571.
    > Backup jobs are set to overwrite and don't eject media after completion.
    > The problem originally occurred when we tried to backup to a tape holding
    >a backup done by an eval copy of BENT v8.5. We've tried new tapes, tapes
    >from other servers that don't have the problem, etc. All will fail to mount
    >unless a 'long erase' is performed.
    >
    >There was a brief mention in one post about the media database possibly

    being
    >corrupt. Anyone have more information on that?
    >
    >Any other suggestions?
    >
    >Any and all comments and suggestions are more than welcome.
    >Thanks in advance!
    >
    >Andy Adrian
    >Consultant
    >Quilogy, Inc.