SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello Here is what I have: 1 Windows 2000 server with BExec 8.6 rev 3808, 8GB free space, BExec OFO and SQL option installed. 1 Windows 2000 Member Server with SQL 2000 SP1, SMS 2.0 SP3, BExec remote backup, and ...

  1. SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6

    Hello

    Here is what I have:
    1 Windows 2000 server with BExec 8.6 rev 3808, 8GB free space, BExec OFO and
    SQL option installed.
    1 Windows 2000 Member Server with SQL 2000 SP1, SMS 2.0 SP3, BExec remote
    backup, and OFO installed.

    I keep getting the following error on my database backup:

    Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Could not find filegroup 'PRIMARY' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item model?PRIMARY - skipped.

    Can anyone help me fix this?

    Thanks

  2. Re: SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6

    Build another job and select the SQL Server in the left pane. Select the
    database entry on the right pane. Do not select the entry that has
    'filegroup' listed.

    Alex

    "Allison" wrote in message news:3ba2332e$1@hronntp01....
    > Hello
    >
    > Here is what I have:
    > 1 Windows 2000 server with BExec 8.6 rev 3808, 8GB free space, BExec OFO

    and
    > SQL option installed.
    > 1 Windows 2000 Member Server with SQL 2000 SP1, SMS 2.0 SP3, BExec remote
    > backup, and OFO installed.
    >
    > I keep getting the following error on my database backup:
    >
    > Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    > An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..PRIMARY.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Could not find filegroup 'PRIMARY' in sysfilegroups for database 'model'.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item model?PRIMARY - skipped.
    >
    > Can anyone help me fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6

    If I don't back up the filegroups, and I have to do a full restore of my
    server, won't I lose my database or will it be corrupt because of the
    missing filegroups?

    Just curious

    Thanks

    "Alex Moore" wrote in message
    > Build another job and select the SQL Server in the left pane. Select the
    > database entry on the right pane. Do not select the entry that has
    > 'filegroup' listed.
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > "Allison" wrote in message news:3ba2332e$1@hronntp01....
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Here is what I have:
    > > 1 Windows 2000 server with BExec 8.6 rev 3808, 8GB free space, BExec OFO

    > and
    > > SQL option installed.
    > > 1 Windows 2000 Member Server with SQL 2000 SP1, SMS 2.0 SP3, BExec

    remote
    > > backup, and OFO installed.
    > >
    > > I keep getting the following error on my database backup:
    > >
    > > Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    > > An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..PRIMARY.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Could not find filegroup 'PRIMARY' in sysfilegroups for database

    'model'.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Unable to open the item model?PRIMARY - skipped.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me fix this?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. Re: SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6

    A database backup will back up all filegroups and the transaction log. This
    is required for recovery.

    Filegroup backups should be considered an advanced level backup. You should
    only backup filegroups after the proper training and lab exercises.

    Filegroup backups require that the database not be set to 'truncate log on
    checkpoint'.

    Alex

    "Allison" wrote in message news:3ba27908$1@hronntp01....
    > If I don't back up the filegroups, and I have to do a full restore of my
    > server, won't I lose my database or will it be corrupt because of the
    > missing filegroups?
    >
    > Just curious
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Alex Moore" wrote in message
    > > Build another job and select the SQL Server in the left pane. Select

    the
    > > database entry on the right pane. Do not select the entry that has
    > > 'filegroup' listed.
    > >
    > > Alex
    > >
    > > "Allison" wrote in message news:3ba2332e$1@hronntp01....
    > > > Hello
    > > >
    > > > Here is what I have:
    > > > 1 Windows 2000 server with BExec 8.6 rev 3808, 8GB free space, BExec

    OFO
    > > and
    > > > SQL option installed.
    > > > 1 Windows 2000 Member Server with SQL 2000 SP1, SMS 2.0 SP3, BExec

    > remote
    > > > backup, and OFO installed.
    > > >
    > > > I keep getting the following error on my database backup:
    > > >
    > > > Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    > > > An error occurred on a query to filegroup model..PRIMARY.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Could not find filegroup 'PRIMARY' in sysfilegroups for database

    > 'model'.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Unable to open the item model?PRIMARY - skipped.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help me fix this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

  5. Re: SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6

    In your first statement, if I choose not to select the 'filegroup' listings,
    but select everything else, I still will have a full backup and should be
    able to restore database fully. Correct?

    Thanks

    > OFO
    > > > and

    > > remote

    > > 'model'.

  6. Re: SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6

    Correct. The entry that you select is the database name without 'Filegroups
    in'. You should have no trouble restoring from a database backup.

    Alex

    > > A database backup will back up all filegroups and the transaction log.

    > This
    > > is required for recovery.
    > >
    > > Filegroup backups should be considered an advanced level backup. You

    > should
    > > only backup filegroups after the proper training and lab exercises.
    > >
    > > Filegroup backups require that the database not be set to 'truncate log

    on
    > > checkpoint'.
    > >
    > > Alex
    > >
    > > "Allison" wrote in message news:3ba27908$1@hronntp01....
    > > > If I don't back up the filegroups, and I have to do a full restore of

    my
    > > > server, won't I lose my database or will it be corrupt because of the
    > > > missing filegroups?
    > > >
    > > > Just curious
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > "Alex Moore" wrote in message

    Select
    > > the

    BExec
    > > OFO
    > > > remote

    > > > 'model'.

  7. Re: SQL 2000 Problem with Backup Exec 8.6

    Thank you

    of
    > my

    the