Remote Agent and Security - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent and Security - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have had a bit of a nightmare trying to install the remote agent on a particular web server within our company. The server that I need to install the remote agent on to is a Windows 2000 Server acting ...

  1. Remote Agent and Security

    I have had a bit of a nightmare trying to install the remote agent on a
    particular web server within our company. The server that I need to install
    the remote agent on to is a Windows 2000 Server acting as a member server
    running sp2 and all the hotfixes. Because of security, we have enabled IP
    packet filtering and I have made sure that ports required as documented in
    technote 234123 are active. However we keep getting errors.

    Lets assume that the servername is server1, the message I get when trying to
    install the agent remotely is,

    Unable to Connect to Registry on \\SERVER1 CoBESetup(118)(-2147024843)

    I have followed all sorts of articles that suggest installing the agent at
    the server console instead and I have tried this, but the BE logs report
    that the agent is not present even though I can see it in the services on
    the remote machine. This is worrying and I cannot find an answer for it.

    Has anybody else encountered this problem?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Nick Doyle
    nick.doyle@centurion.co.uk
    MCSE and MCT

  2. Re: Remote Agent and Security

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm
    and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190717.htm

    "Nick Doyle" wrote:
    >I have had a bit of a nightmare trying to install the remote agent on a
    >particular web server within our company. The server that I need to install
    >the remote agent on to is a Windows 2000 Server acting as a member server
    >running sp2 and all the hotfixes. Because of security, we have enabled IP
    >packet filtering and I have made sure that ports required as documented

    in
    >technote 234123 are active. However we keep getting errors.
    >
    >Lets assume that the servername is server1, the message I get when trying

    >install the agent remotely is,
    >
    >Unable to Connect to Registry on \\SERVER1 CoBESetup(118)(-2147024843)
    >
    >I have followed all sorts of articles that suggest installing the agent

    at
    >the server console instead and I have tried this, but the BE logs report
    >that the agent is not present even though I can see it in the services on
    >the remote machine. This is worrying and I cannot find an answer for it.
    >
    >Has anybody else encountered this problem?
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Nick Doyle
    >nick.doyle@centurion.co.uk
    >MCSE and MCT

  3. Re: Remote Agent and Security

    Thanks for that Ken, but my problem is when I need to install the agent
    remotely. I have tested the 6103 port with no success and I doubt that name
    resolution is an issue, because within the BE management console, I can see
    the machine that I want to install the agent onto. However, I am desperate,
    so I will try LMHOSTS.

    Regards,

    Nick Doyle
    nick.doyle@centurion.co.uk
    MCSE and MCT

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm
    > and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190717.htm
    >
    > "Nick Doyle" wrote:
    > >I have had a bit of a nightmare trying to install the remote agent on a
    > >particular web server within our company. The server that I need to

    install
    > >the remote agent on to is a Windows 2000 Server acting as a member server
    > >running sp2 and all the hotfixes. Because of security, we have enabled IP
    > >packet filtering and I have made sure that ports required as documented

    > in
    > >technote 234123 are active. However we keep getting errors.
    > >
    > >Lets assume that the servername is server1, the message I get when trying

    > >install the agent remotely is,
    > >
    > >Unable to Connect to Registry on \\SERVER1 CoBESetup(118)(-2147024843)
    > >
    > >I have followed all sorts of articles that suggest installing the agent

    > at
    > >the server console instead and I have tried this, but the BE logs report
    > >that the agent is not present even though I can see it in the services on
    > >the remote machine. This is worrying and I cannot find an answer for it.
    > >
    > >Has anybody else encountered this problem?
    > >
    > >Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >
    > >Nick Doyle
    > >nick.doyle@centurion.co.uk
    > >MCSE and MCT

  4. Re: Remote Agent and Security

    Try pinging the remote machine by IP and by name from the BENT server.

    Try pinging the BENT server from the remote machine.

    "Nick Doyle" wrote:
    >Thanks for that Ken, but my problem is when I need to install the agent
    >remotely. I have tested the 6103 port with no success and I doubt that name
    >resolution is an issue, because within the BE management console, I can

    see
    >the machine that I want to install the agent onto. However, I am desperate,
    >so I will try LMHOSTS.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Nick Doyle
    >nick.doyle@centurion.co.uk
    >MCSE and MCT
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm
    >> and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190717.htm
    >>
    >> "Nick Doyle" wrote:
    >> >I have had a bit of a nightmare trying to install the remote agent on

    >> >particular web server within our company. The server that I need to

    >install
    >> >the remote agent on to is a Windows 2000 Server acting as a member server
    >> >running sp2 and all the hotfixes. Because of security, we have enabled

    IP
    >> >packet filtering and I have made sure that ports required as documented

    >> in
    >> >technote 234123 are active. However we keep getting errors.
    >> >
    >> >Lets assume that the servername is server1, the message I get when trying

    >> >install the agent remotely is,
    >> >
    >> >Unable to Connect to Registry on \\SERVER1 CoBESetup(118)(-2147024843)
    >> >
    >> >I have followed all sorts of articles that suggest installing the agent

    >> at
    >> >the server console instead and I have tried this, but the BE logs report
    >> >that the agent is not present even though I can see it in the services

    on
    >> >the remote machine. This is worrying and I cannot find an answer for

    it.

    >> >Has anybody else encountered this problem?
    >> >
    >> >Any help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >Regards,
    >> >
    >> >Nick Doyle
    >> >nick.doyle@centurion.co.uk