Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, We have just started trying to get Backup Exec 8.6 to properly back up our Exchange server. The BE program is on a different machine. Mail server has Exchange 5.5 SP3. The BE service account is an administrator, and ...

  1. Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup

    Hello,

    We have just started trying to get Backup Exec 8.6 to properly back up our
    Exchange server. The BE program is on a different machine. Mail server has
    Exchange 5.5 SP3. The BE service account is an administrator, and is a
    Service Account Admin within the Exchange Server. The EDBBCLI.DLL is
    identical on both machines.

    I am able to back up individual mailboxes, but the Information Store and
    Directory backups always fail with the following error:

    The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item Directory - skipped.

    I get the same error for the Information Store. In the Exchange Server
    Application Event log, I get the following error:

    An error occurred while preparing Microsoft Exchange Server \\MAIL to
    back up database Exchange MDB Database.
    Error code: 0x00000005
    Error message: Access is denied.

    This is Event ID 57920.

    The BE service is an administrator with full control over all the files on
    the machine. It seems that from other messages I have read, it might be
    beneficial to install the Exchange Administrator on the BE machine. I am
    going to try that this evening, after I upgrade the Exchange server to SP4
    and copy the new EDBBCLI.DLL file over if there is one. Is there anything
    else I should be looking at?

    Thanks,

    -Will

    Will Saxon
    Systems Programmer - Network Services
    University of Florida Division of Housing
    Email: wills@housing.ufl.edu
    Phone: (352) 392-2171 x148
    Fax: (352) 392-6819

  2. Re: Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup

    Getting Exchange Admin on the Backup Server to the same SP level as the Exchange
    Server ought to do the trick

    "Will Saxon" wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >We have just started trying to get Backup Exec 8.6 to properly back up our
    >Exchange server. The BE program is on a different machine. Mail server has
    >Exchange 5.5 SP3. The BE service account is an administrator, and is a
    >Service Account Admin within the Exchange Server. The EDBBCLI.DLL is
    >identical on both machines.
    >
    >I am able to back up individual mailboxes, but the Information Store and
    >Directory backups always fail with the following error:
    >
    > The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item Directory - skipped.
    >
    >I get the same error for the Information Store. In the Exchange Server
    >Application Event log, I get the following error:
    >
    > An error occurred while preparing Microsoft Exchange Server \\MAIL to
    >back up database Exchange MDB Database.
    > Error code: 0x00000005
    > Error message: Access is denied.
    >
    >This is Event ID 57920.
    >
    >The BE service is an administrator with full control over all the files

    on
    >the machine. It seems that from other messages I have read, it might be
    >beneficial to install the Exchange Administrator on the BE machine. I am
    >going to try that this evening, after I upgrade the Exchange server to SP4
    >and copy the new EDBBCLI.DLL file over if there is one. Is there anything
    >else I should be looking at?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >-Will

    >Will Saxon
    >Systems Programmer - Network Services
    >University of Florida Division of Housing
    >Email: wills@housing.ufl.edu
    >Phone: (352) 392-2171 x148
    >Fax: (352) 392-6819

  3. Re: Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup

    Unfortunately, this did not do the trick. After installing SP4 on the
    mailserver, I installed the Exchange 5.5 Administrator on the BE machine,
    and upgraded that to SP4. The backup job still did not work. I also removed
    BEWINUI.UNI and restarted Backup Exec, which is what Veritas has suggested.
    I did this after applying SP4 and installing exchange admin. That also did
    not fix the problem.

    Any other ideas?

    -Will

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Getting Exchange Admin on the Backup Server to the same SP level as the

    Exchange
    > Server ought to do the trick
    >
    > "Will Saxon" wrote:
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >We have just started trying to get Backup Exec 8.6 to properly back up

    our
    > >Exchange server. The BE program is on a different machine. Mail server

    has
    > >Exchange 5.5 SP3. The BE service account is an administrator, and is a
    > >Service Account Admin within the Exchange Server. The EDBBCLI.DLL is
    > >identical on both machines.
    > >
    > >I am able to back up individual mailboxes, but the Information Store and
    > >Directory backups always fail with the following error:
    > >
    > > The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Unable to open the item Directory - skipped.
    > >
    > >I get the same error for the Information Store. In the Exchange Server
    > >Application Event log, I get the following error:
    > >
    > > An error occurred while preparing Microsoft Exchange Server \\MAIL to
    > >back up database Exchange MDB Database.
    > > Error code: 0x00000005
    > > Error message: Access is denied.
    > >
    > >This is Event ID 57920.
    > >
    > >The BE service is an administrator with full control over all the files

    > on
    > >the machine. It seems that from other messages I have read, it might be
    > >beneficial to install the Exchange Administrator on the BE machine. I am
    > >going to try that this evening, after I upgrade the Exchange server to

    SP4
    > >and copy the new EDBBCLI.DLL file over if there is one. Is there anything
    > >else I should be looking at?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >-Will
    > >
    > >_________________________________________
    > >Will Saxon
    > >Systems Programmer - Network Services
    > >University of Florida Division of Housing
    > >Email: wills@housing.ufl.edu
    > >Phone: (352) 392-2171 x148
    > >Fax: (352) 392-6819

  4. Re: Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup

    Has anyone found a fix for this? I have been trying all the suggestions,
    but have not gotten one to work. My exchange server is NT4.0 w/ SP5 and
    Exchange 5.5. I originally got this error with a BE server running 2000,
    so I transferred everything to an NT4.0 box and still get the same message.
    I see so many people reporting this problem - has anyone gotten a fix that
    works?

    "Will Saxon" wrote:
    >Unfortunately, this did not do the trick. After installing SP4 on the
    >mailserver, I installed the Exchange 5.5 Administrator on the BE machine,
    >and upgraded that to SP4. The backup job still did not work. I also removed
    >BEWINUI.UNI and restarted Backup Exec, which is what Veritas has suggested.
    >I did this after applying SP4 and installing exchange admin. That also did
    >not fix the problem.
    >
    >Any other ideas?
    >
    >-Will
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Getting Exchange Admin on the Backup Server to the same SP level as the

    >Exchange
    >> Server ought to do the trick
    >>
    >> "Will Saxon" wrote:
    >> >Hello,
    >> >
    >> >We have just started trying to get Backup Exec 8.6 to properly back up

    >our
    >> >Exchange server. The BE program is on a different machine. Mail server

    >has
    >> >Exchange 5.5 SP3. The BE service account is an administrator, and is

    >> >Service Account Admin within the Exchange Server. The EDBBCLI.DLL is
    >> >identical on both machines.
    >> >
    >> >I am able to back up individual mailboxes, but the Information Store

    and
    >> >Directory backups always fail with the following error:
    >> >
    >> > The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
    >> > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> > Unable to open the item Directory - skipped.
    >> >
    >> >I get the same error for the Information Store. In the Exchange Server
    >> >Application Event log, I get the following error:
    >> >
    >> > An error occurred while preparing Microsoft Exchange Server \\MAIL

    >> >back up database Exchange MDB Database.
    >> > Error code: 0x00000005
    >> > Error message: Access is denied.
    >> >
    >> >This is Event ID 57920.
    >> >
    >> >The BE service is an administrator with full control over all the files

    >> on
    >> >the machine. It seems that from other messages I have read, it might

    be
    >> >beneficial to install the Exchange Administrator on the BE machine. I

    am
    >> >going to try that this evening, after I upgrade the Exchange server to

    >SP4
    >> >and copy the new EDBBCLI.DLL file over if there is one. Is there anything
    >> >else I should be looking at?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >
    >> >-Will
    >> >
    >> >_________________________________________
    >> >Will Saxon
    >> >Systems Programmer - Network Services
    >> >University of Florida Division of Housing
    >> >Email: wills@housing.ufl.edu
    >> >Phone: (352) 392-2171 x148
    >> >Fax: (352) 392-6819

  5. Re: Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup

    Hi Dave,

    Try changing this registry key on the Exchange server to "0" :

    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Restrict Anonymous

    "Dave Marshall" wrote:

    >Has anyone found a fix for this? I have been trying all the suggestions,
    >but have not gotten one to work. My exchange server is NT4.0 w/ SP5 and
    >Exchange 5.5. I originally got this error with a BE server running 2000,
    >so I transferred everything to an NT4.0 box and still get the same message.
    > I see so many people reporting this problem - has anyone gotten a fix that
    >works?
    >
    >"Will Saxon" wrote:
    >>Unfortunately, this did not do the trick. After installing SP4 on the
    >>mailserver, I installed the Exchange 5.5 Administrator on the BE machine,
    >>and upgraded that to SP4. The backup job still did not work. I also removed
    >>BEWINUI.UNI and restarted Backup Exec, which is what Veritas has suggested.
    >>I did this after applying SP4 and installing exchange admin. That also

    did
    >>not fix the problem.
    >>
    >>Any other ideas?
    >>
    >>-Will
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Getting Exchange Admin on the Backup Server to the same SP level as the

    >>Exchange
    >>> Server ought to do the trick

    up
    >>our

    >>has

    >and

    >>> on

    >be

    >am

    >>SP4

  6. Re: Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup

    To anyone that cares:
    After much more testing and digging I found that, in my case, it may be a
    problem with my hardware on the Exchange Server. I found an article from
    Microsoft (ID# Q188589) that deals with using write-caching hard disks and
    controllers and the problems associated with this on an Exchange server.
    Some of the information and problems are exactly what I am running into
    and I believe is the reason for my backup problem. Just an FYI for any others
    that cannot find a resolution for this issue.
    "Mike" wrote:

    >Hi Dave,
    >
    >Try changing this registry key on the Exchange server to "0" :
    >
    >HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Restrict Anonymous
    >

    >"Dave Marshall" wrote:
    >>
    >>Has anyone found a fix for this? I have been trying all the suggestions,
    >>but have not gotten one to work. My exchange server is NT4.0 w/ SP5 and
    >>Exchange 5.5. I originally got this error with a BE server running 2000,
    >>so I transferred everything to an NT4.0 box and still get the same message.
    >> I see so many people reporting this problem - has anyone gotten a fix

    that
    >>works?
    >>
    >>"Will Saxon" wrote:
    >>>Unfortunately, this did not do the trick. After installing SP4 on the
    >>>mailserver, I installed the Exchange 5.5 Administrator on the BE machine,
    >>>and upgraded that to SP4. The backup job still did not work. I also removed
    >>>BEWINUI.UNI and restarted Backup Exec, which is what Veritas has suggested.
    >>>I did this after applying SP4 and installing exchange admin. That also

    >did
    >>>not fix the problem.
    >>>
    >>>Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>>-Will
    >>>
    >>>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    the
    >>>Exchange

    >up
    >>>our
    >>>has

    >>and

    >>be

    >>am

    >>>SP4

  7. Re: Exchange Store not responding error, Information store and Directory backup

    This problem started for me when I changed to a new Backup Exec admin account.
    I tried going back to the original account but get the same error. After
    hours on the phone with Veritas second level support I still have the error.
    I loaded Backup Exec on another server and it backs up the Exchange directory
    and Information store fine. Si I am at a loss as to what the problem is
    on the original server.

    "Dave Marshall" wrote:

    >To anyone that cares:
    >After much more testing and digging I found that, in my case, it may be

    >problem with my hardware on the Exchange Server. I found an article from
    >Microsoft (ID# Q188589) that deals with using write-caching hard disks and
    >controllers and the problems associated with this on an Exchange server.
    > Some of the information and problems are exactly what I am running into
    >and I believe is the reason for my backup problem. Just an FYI for any

    others
    >that cannot find a resolution for this issue.
    >"Mike" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi Dave,
    >>
    >>Try changing this registry key on the Exchange server to "0" :
    >>
    >>HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Restrict Anonymous
    >>

    >>"Dave Marshall" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone found a fix for this? I have been trying all the suggestions,
    >>>but have not gotten one to work. My exchange server is NT4.0 w/ SP5 and
    >>>Exchange 5.5. I originally got this error with a BE server running 2000,
    >>>so I transferred everything to an NT4.0 box and still get the same message.
    >>> I see so many people reporting this problem - has anyone gotten a fix

    >that
    >>>works?

    >>did

    >the