Question on DDS4 tapes.

I did a backup job and sat by the machine while it was running. During the backup the drive started to make clicking noises, and after about 5 mins the job failed. The log file then told me the tape has past it usage. I found this hard to believe as it's only been used 5 times. So to check that it wasn't the drive, I placed the tape in another server (identical to the first) and this did the same thing.

So it must be the tape.

Question: How long should a DDS4 tape last (writing about 5-9GB). And if the tape has not lived up to it's standard can I send them back to the manufacturers and get replacements (there are about 3 tapes that are doing this)?