Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 (with hardware RAID) running Windows NT 4.0 SP6. Attached to this I have a HP Surestore DLT 718 Autoloader running off it's own Adaptec SCSI card. I am running version 7.3 revision 2575 ...

  1. Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure

    Hi,

    I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 (with hardware RAID) running Windows NT 4.0
    SP6. Attached to this I have a HP Surestore DLT 718 Autoloader running off
    it's own Adaptec SCSI card. I am running version 7.3 revision 2575 of BENT.

    For my weekly backups I run a differential backup Monday - Thursday and a
    full backup on a Friday night (three tapes). Cleaning job has always run
    on a Friday morning. This has been running without problem for nearly a
    year. There have been no recent configuration changes made to the server.

    The week before last, the full backup failed with a "Data error (cyclic redundancy
    check)". I tried to rerun it with three new tapes but the same thing happened.
    I read a few posts on this news group that it may have been a problem with
    the drive being dirty so I purchased a new cleaning tape and ran it a few
    times before trying the job again. The same failure occured again with three
    new tapes.

    Today I ran a piece of HP diagnostics software to check the unit out (HP
    library and tape tool). It detected the autoloader and its drive but came
    up with the following error for the drive: "Cannot find a class driver for
    claimed device - device is inacessable". I reinstalled the driver but the
    same error appears when I run the diagnostics.

    The most unusual thing about this is that all the differential backups continue
    to run fine. These failures only happen on the full backups.

    If anyone can throw any light on what might be happening here I would be
    very grateful, or at least point me to a place where I might get an updated
    driver.

    Thanks
    David.

  2. Re: Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm gives a list of troubleshooting
    steps for CRC errors, as for drives, you should be able to find them on the
    HP suport site.

    "David" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 (with hardware RAID) running Windows NT 4.0
    >SP6. Attached to this I have a HP Surestore DLT 718 Autoloader running

    off
    >it's own Adaptec SCSI card. I am running version 7.3 revision 2575 of BENT.
    >
    >For my weekly backups I run a differential backup Monday - Thursday and

    >full backup on a Friday night (three tapes). Cleaning job has always run
    >on a Friday morning. This has been running without problem for nearly a
    >year. There have been no recent configuration changes made to the server.
    >
    >The week before last, the full backup failed with a "Data error (cyclic

    redundancy
    >check)". I tried to rerun it with three new tapes but the same thing happened.
    > I read a few posts on this news group that it may have been a problem with
    >the drive being dirty so I purchased a new cleaning tape and ran it a few
    >times before trying the job again. The same failure occured again with

    three
    >new tapes.
    >
    >Today I ran a piece of HP diagnostics software to check the unit out (HP
    >library and tape tool). It detected the autoloader and its drive but came
    >up with the following error for the drive: "Cannot find a class driver for
    >claimed device - device is inacessable". I reinstalled the driver but the
    >same error appears when I run the diagnostics.
    >
    >The most unusual thing about this is that all the differential backups continue
    >to run fine. These failures only happen on the full backups.
    >
    >If anyone can throw any light on what might be happening here I would be
    >very grateful, or at least point me to a place where I might get an updated
    >driver.
    >
    >Thanks
    >David.

  3. Re: Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure

    Thanks for the input Ken, already tried all of the suggestions in this document.
    There doesn't seem to be any drivers on hp's site, can you suggest anywhere
    else I might get them,

    Kind Regards,

    David.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm gives a list of troubleshooting
    >steps for CRC errors, as for drives, you should be able to find them on

    the
    >HP suport site.
    >

    >"David" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 (with hardware RAID) running Windows NT 4.0
    >>SP6. Attached to this I have a HP Surestore DLT 718 Autoloader running

    >off
    >>it's own Adaptec SCSI card. I am running version 7.3 revision 2575 of

    BENT.

    >>For my weekly backups I run a differential backup Monday - Thursday and

    >>full backup on a Friday night (three tapes). Cleaning job has always run
    >>on a Friday morning. This has been running without problem for nearly

    >>year. There have been no recent configuration changes made to the server.
    >>
    >>The week before last, the full backup failed with a "Data error (cyclic

    >redundancy
    >>check)". I tried to rerun it with three new tapes but the same thing happened.
    >> I read a few posts on this news group that it may have been a problem

    with
    >>the drive being dirty so I purchased a new cleaning tape and ran it a few
    >>times before trying the job again. The same failure occured again with

    >three
    >>new tapes.
    >>
    >>Today I ran a piece of HP diagnostics software to check the unit out (HP
    >>library and tape tool). It detected the autoloader and its drive but came
    >>up with the following error for the drive: "Cannot find a class driver

    for
    >>claimed device - device is inacessable". I reinstalled the driver but

    the
    >>same error appears when I run the diagnostics.
    >>
    >>The most unusual thing about this is that all the differential backups

    continue
    >>to run fine. These failures only happen on the full backups.
    >>
    >>If anyone can throw any light on what might be happening here I would be
    >>very grateful, or at least point me to a place where I might get an updated
    >>driver.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>David.

  4. Re: Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure

    The blurb for http://www.hp.com/cposupport/informa..._eur3.exe.html

    says quote
    This is our latest diagnostic software to help you install and support your
    HP Storage product. In addition to it's diagnostic and troubleshooting abilities
    it offers useful information about your product and the ability to automatically
    check the web for the latest firmware.
    unquote

    "David" wrote:

    >Thanks for the input Ken, already tried all of the suggestions in this document.
    > There doesn't seem to be any drivers on hp's site, can you suggest anywhere
    >else I might get them,
    >
    >Kind Regards,
    >
    >David.
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm gives a list of troubleshooting
    >>steps for CRC errors, as for drives, you should be able to find them on

    >the
    >>HP suport site.
    >>

    >>"David" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 (with hardware RAID) running Windows NT

    4.0
    >>>SP6. Attached to this I have a HP Surestore DLT 718 Autoloader running

    >>off
    >>>it's own Adaptec SCSI card. I am running version 7.3 revision 2575 of

    >BENT.
    >>>
    >>>For my weekly backups I run a differential backup Monday - Thursday and

    >>>full backup on a Friday night (three tapes). Cleaning job has always

    run
    >>>on a Friday morning. This has been running without problem for nearly

    >>>year. There have been no recent configuration changes made to the server.
    >>>
    >>>The week before last, the full backup failed with a "Data error (cyclic

    >>redundancy
    >>>check)". I tried to rerun it with three new tapes but the same thing

    happened.
    >>> I read a few posts on this news group that it may have been a problem

    >with
    >>>the drive being dirty so I purchased a new cleaning tape and ran it a

    few
    >>>times before trying the job again. The same failure occured again with

    >>three
    >>>new tapes.
    >>>
    >>>Today I ran a piece of HP diagnostics software to check the unit out (HP
    >>>library and tape tool). It detected the autoloader and its drive but

    came
    >>>up with the following error for the drive: "Cannot find a class driver

    >for
    >>>claimed device - device is inacessable". I reinstalled the driver but

    >the
    >>>same error appears when I run the diagnostics.
    >>>
    >>>The most unusual thing about this is that all the differential backups

    >continue
    >>>to run fine. These failures only happen on the full backups.
    >>>
    >>>If anyone can throw any light on what might be happening here I would

    be
    >>>very grateful, or at least point me to a place where I might get an updated
    >>>driver.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>David.

  5. Re: Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure

    Hi Ken,

    I tried that but this piece of software will not let me select the drive
    to update the firmware. There are two items listed when I click on the firmware
    button:

    1.Library (C6280-7000)

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >The blurb for http://www.hp.com/cposupport/informa..._eur3.exe.html
    >
    >says quote
    >This is our latest diagnostic software to help you install and support your
    >HP Storage product. In addition to it's diagnostic and troubleshooting

    abilities
    >it offers useful information about your product and the ability to automatically
    >check the web for the latest firmware.
    >unquote
    >
    >"David" wrote:
    >>
    >>Thanks for the input Ken, already tried all of the suggestions in this

    document.
    >> There doesn't seem to be any drivers on hp's site, can you suggest anywhere
    >>else I might get them,
    >>
    >>Kind Regards,
    >>
    >>David.
    >>

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm gives a list of troubleshooting
    >>>steps for CRC errors, as for drives, you should be able to find them on

    >>the
    >>>HP suport site.

    >4.0
    >>>off

    >>BENT.

    >run

    >>>redundancy

    >happened.

    >>with

    >few
    >>>three

    (HP

    >came

    >>for

    >>the

    >>continue

    >be

  6. Please ignore previous post. Re: Cyclic Redundancy Check Failure

    Hi,

    I tried that but this piece of software will not let me select the drive
    to update the firmware. There are two items listed when I click on the firmware
    button:

    1.Library (C6280-7000)
    2.Drive 1 ()

    It will not let me select the drive giving me the error message "This device
    is currently not accessable and cannot be selected". I have updated the
    firmware for the library successfully. The drive DLT7000 is seen by this
    piece of software but is listed everywhere with a red X over it and I am
    not allowed to do anything with it. I did download a driver from HP's site
    before when I set this unit up (in expandable *.exe format) and have already
    reinstalled it. I am starting to think that this may be a hardware problem
    and not a driver issue but I may be wrong. What do you think?

    Keep in mind that I ran the full backup again last night to see what would
    happen and it failed (same error). Imediately afterwards Tuesdays differential
    backup ran successfully????????

    Regards,
    David

    "David" wrote:

    >Hi Ken,
    >
    >I tried that but this piece of software will not let me select the drive
    >to update the firmware. There are two items listed when I click on the

    firmware
    >button:
    >
    >1.Library (C6280-7000)
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>The blurb for http://www.hp.com/cposupport/informa..._eur3.exe.html
    >>
    >>says quote
    >>This is our latest diagnostic software to help you install and support

    your
    >>HP Storage product. In addition to it's diagnostic and troubleshooting

    >abilities
    >>it offers useful information about your product and the ability to automatically
    >>check the web for the latest firmware.
    >>unquote
    >>
    >>"David" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the input Ken, already tried all of the suggestions in this

    >document.
    >>> There doesn't seem to be any drivers on hp's site, can you suggest anywhere
    >>>else I might get them,
    >>>
    >>>Kind Regards,
    >>>
    >>>David.

    on