SBS 7.3 Installation Failure - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SBS 7.3 Installation Failure - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Just been out to a client where I've been trying to install SBS 7.3. The hard drive is a clean install of Windows NT 4 Workstation, SP6a and then Veritas v7.3. When asked for number, I input exactly what ...

  1. SBS 7.3 Installation Failure

    Hi,

    Just been out to a client where I've been trying to install SBS 7.3.

    The hard drive is a clean install of Windows NT 4 Workstation, SP6a and then
    Veritas v7.3.

    When asked for number, I input exactly what is on the card, an error message
    came up stating invalid number.
    On going for the 60 day evaluation version, install asks for name and
    password. I tried both the Administrator AND a new one. Installation stops
    with an error message - the cause was installation complete. The options are

    Anyone got any ideas please.

    John

  2. Re: SBS 7.3 Installation Failure

    You are installing a copy of SBS 7.3 on an NTW machine? If it will ever install
    (I beleive that the install checks for the NT SBS OS) what good will it do
    you? You can't connect to any other servers, and can't run SQL or Exchange
    Server on the NTW box.

    "John Needham" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Just been out to a client where I've been trying to install SBS 7.3.
    >
    >The hard drive is a clean install of Windows NT 4 Workstation, SP6a and

    then
    >Veritas v7.3.
    >
    >When asked for number, I input exactly what is on the card, an error message
    >came up stating invalid number.
    >On going for the 60 day evaluation version, install asks for name and
    >password. I tried both the Administrator AND a new one. Installation stops
    >with an error message - the cause was installation complete. The options

    are

    >Anyone got any ideas please.
    >
    >John

  3. Re: SBS 7.3 Installation Failure

    Hi,

    We've tried installing Exchange 5.5 onto a SBS2K server in order to recover
    the databases. %.5 won't install and Microsoft don't seem to be able to come
    up with the reason why. Therefore, we thought about building a clean SBS 4.5
    server. I've done it before by installing NT4W and installing Veritas Backup
    and restoring from the tape and then restarting computer puts it back to the
    SBS4.5 situation. Then switch off, on as NT4W and connect as workstation to
    new SBS2K server and transfer the databases across for integrating into the
    Exchange 2K.

    John

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message news:3b967e14@hronntp01....

    > You are installing a copy of SBS 7.3 on an NTW machine? If it will ever

    install
    > (I beleive that the install checks for the NT SBS OS) what good will it do
    > you? You can't connect to any other servers, and can't run SQL or

    Exchange
    > Server on the NTW box.
    >
    > "John Needham" wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >Just been out to a client where I've been trying to install SBS 7.3.
    > >
    > >The hard drive is a clean install of Windows NT 4 Workstation, SP6a and

    > then
    > >Veritas v7.3.
    > >
    > >When asked for number, I input exactly what is on the card, an error

    message
    > >came up stating invalid number.
    > >On going for the 60 day evaluation version, install asks for name and
    > >password. I tried both the Administrator AND a new one. Installation

    stops
    > >with an error message - the cause was installation complete. The options

    > are
    > >
    > >Anyone got any ideas please.
    > >
    > >John

  4. Re: SBS 7.3 Installation Failure

    OK, that makes sense, then.

    "John Needham" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >We've tried installing Exchange 5.5 onto a SBS2K server in order to recover
    >the databases. %.5 won't install and Microsoft don't seem to be able to

    come
    >up with the reason why. Therefore, we thought about building a clean SBS

    4.5
    >server. I've done it before by installing NT4W and installing Veritas Backup
    >and restoring from the tape and then restarting computer puts it back to

    the
    >SBS4.5 situation. Then switch off, on as NT4W and connect as workstation

    >new SBS2K server and transfer the databases across for integrating into

    the
    >Exchange 2K.
    >
    >John
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message news:3b967e14@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> You are installing a copy of SBS 7.3 on an NTW machine? If it will ever

    >install
    >> (I beleive that the install checks for the NT SBS OS) what good will it

    do
    >> you? You can't connect to any other servers, and can't run SQL or

    >Exchange
    >> Server on the NTW box.
    >>
    >> "John Needham" wrote:
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >Just been out to a client where I've been trying to install SBS 7.3.
    >> >
    >> >The hard drive is a clean install of Windows NT 4 Workstation, SP6a and

    >> then
    >> >Veritas v7.3.
    >> >
    >> >When asked for number, I input exactly what is on the card, an error

    >message
    >> >came up stating invalid number.
    >> >On going for the 60 day evaluation version, install asks for name and
    >> >password. I tried both the Administrator AND a new one. Installation

    >stops
    >> >with an error message - the cause was installation complete. The options

    >> are
    >> >
    >> >Anyone got any ideas please.
    >> >
    >> >John

  5. Re: SBS 7.3 Installation Failure

    Ok, so, why did the serial input from the card fail?

    Why, when going through the eval install did I keep getting the error
    message?

    John

    > >> You are installing a copy of SBS 7.3 on an NTW machine? If it will

    ever
    > >install
    > >> (I beleive that the install checks for the NT SBS OS) what good will it

    > do
    > >> you? You can't connect to any other servers, and can't run SQL or

    > >Exchange
    > >> Server on the NTW box.

    and
    > >> then

    > >message

    > >stops

    options
    > >> are

  6. Re: SBS 7.3 Installation Failure

    Don't know an answer to either.

    John Needham wrote:

    > Ok, so, why did the serial input from the card fail?
    >
    > Why, when going through the eval install did I keep getting the error
    > message?
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >
    > > OK, that makes sense, then.
    > >
    > > "John Needham" wrote:
    > > >Hi,
    > > >
    > > >We've tried installing Exchange 5.5 onto a SBS2K server in order to

    > recover
    > > >the databases. %.5 won't install and Microsoft don't seem to be able to

    > > come
    > > >up with the reason why. Therefore, we thought about building a clean SBS

    > > 4.5
    > > >server. I've done it before by installing NT4W and installing Veritas

    > Backup
    > > >and restoring from the tape and then restarting computer puts it back to

    > > the
    > > >SBS4.5 situation. Then switch off, on as NT4W and connect as workstation

    > > >new SBS2K server and transfer the databases across for integrating into

    > > the
    > > >Exchange 2K.
    > > >
    > > >John
    > > >
    > > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message